Changing out an oil pump

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
the oil pressure in my '89 n/a is pretty low, so i was told to get a new oil pump, but can anyone tell me if there's any special things i have do to do to replace it?

2slow4you

Oct 10, 2006
WV
thechori said:
the oil pressure in my '89 n/a is pretty low, so i was told to get a new oil pump, but can anyone tell me if there's any special things i have do to do to replace it?

Pull the motor, take the pan off, remove the 2 12mm bolts and the crossover tube and it's out. Not sure if you could side the pan off without pulling the motor out.

Have fun =-p

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
sorry i accidently put fuel pump in the title of the thread, i meant an oil pump. i wouldn't have to pull the motor to change it, would i?

i'm not sure which oil was put in the car b/c i had it changed at a gas station

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
most likely excessive wear on crank and bearings, not the oil pump if it is infact low.

What is your oil pressure @ idle?
What is it @ and above 3000RPM?
Also, what type of gauge are you using to check the pressure?

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
cjsupra90 said:
most likely excessive wear on crank and bearings, not the oil pump if it is infact low.

What is your oil pressure @ idle?
What is it @ and above 3000RPM?
Also, what type of gauge are you using to check the pressure?
-from memory, the pressure is maybe around 1/5-1/4 line on the gauge
-i don't recall the oil pressure ever changing when driving.. could this mean that the gauge is just bad?
-i havent CHECKED the pressure myself, i had someone come by that wanted to buy the car and he said that i should change the pump b/c the pressure was low on the oil pressure gauge inside the car

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
First, I would fix that oil pressure gauge, get it working, then go from there. If it's still somewhat low, I'd say do an oil change yourself, I'd feel alot better doing it personally then having a gas station do it. Get a 5W-30 or 0W-30 motor oil, provides the best protection and you won't have too much oil pressure.

-Matt

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alright, i was wrong about the gauge not changing, i just never really noticed..

at idle the oil pressure is at 20 lbs/in^2, when i rev it up to about 3000 rpm, it gets up to around ~40 lbs/in^2, didn't wanna push it any further in my parking lot or i'd have complaining neighbors. but yea, i'm pretty sure it's not the sensor now

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
that pressure is perfectly normal. at idle, the gauge should read between 20/60 psi (from memory, owners manual) and driving it should be between 40 and 80 psi.

mine reads the exact same. trust your car, not someone who wants to buy it.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alright cool, thanks for all the info, saved me ~$100.. i'll talk to them again and see why they said it was so low, because they seemed to know alot about the car

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
From the TRSM:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=LU&Page=4

At operating temperature:
At Idle - 4.3 psi or more
At 3000 rpm - 36-71 psi

When the oil is cold, the gauge will show higher psi until it's warmed up; then it should fall into the above ranges. The Supra oil system is a low pressure, high volume system. Unless a mechanic is familar with the 7M, when he sees 5 psi at idle he will tell you it is low....it's really not ;)

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
jdub said:
From the TRSM:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=LU&Page=4

At operating temperature:
At Idle - 4.3 psi or more
At 3000 rpm - 36-71 psi

When the oil is cold, the gauge will show higher psi until it's warmed up; then it should fall into the above ranges. The Supra oil system is a low pressure, high volume system. Unless a mechanic is familar with the 7M, when he sees 5 psi at idle he will tell you it is low....it's really not ;)
for further refrence whenever a "mechanic" tells you something, doesn't always mean their right, alot of mechanics rarely see supras and don't know alot about them, so don't always take them for granted. But if its anything to do with oil jdub is who you need to talk to...he'll never steer you wrong:icon_bigg

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
^^^ and I would never use 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil in a 7M. Too thin. The bearing clearances in these engines are larger than the newer cars. 10w-30 or 10w-40 is the thinnest to use.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mrnickleye said:
^^^ and I would never use 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil in a 7M. Too thin. The bearing clearances in these engines are larger than the newer cars. 10w-30 or 10w-40 is the thinnest to use.

No offense, but that is flat incorrect concerning oil viscosity ;)

A 5W-30 is not thin as compared to 10W-30...at operating temps, the viscosity is the same assuming the same manufacturer, syn vs. mineral, and basestock. Let's take Valvoline for example...Durablend, a Group III basestock, synthetic blend oil:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Durablend.pdf

Looking at this chart comparing 5W-30 to 10W-30 oil, the viscosity at 100 deg C (operating temp) for 5W-30 is 10.33 cSt, for 10W-30 it's 10.84 cSt...virtually identical. The difference is at 40 deg C; for 5W-30 the viscosity is 57.89 cSt, for 10W-30 it's 71.45 cSt...a significant difference.

This is the common fallacy people make when looking at oil...oil does not thicken when it gets warm. Instead, a 5W-? or 0W-? thickens less when it's cold. The upper number will tell you what the oil viscosity is at operating temperature...in this case a 30W. Both will behave as a 30W at engine operating temp and provide the same viscosity. The difference is viscosity when cold...the 5W-30 will flow better for that morning start, especially in colder climates. If the oil seems "thin" pouring it out of the bottle into your motor, that is a good thing if the grade meets the specs for your motor on the higher number.

You are half correct concerning bearing clearances. On a well used motor, a 10W-40 might be just what you need to keep oil pressure at TRSM specs. On a re-built motor, a 5W-30 is more appropriate to give you the pressure you need. More pressure is not necessarily a good thing.

One other point and I'll get off the soapbox. Make the same comparison I did above for the 30W oils for the 10W-40, 15W-40 and the 20W-50. Note the viscosity is a little higher at 100 deg C for all 3 oils, but the viscosity at 40 deg C is much higher than either 30W oil compared to the 40W oils and double for the 50W oil. That's why you'll never hear me recommend a ?W-50 oil...it's just too thick when cold to flow in your engine....that's also why pressure goes so high on a cold start with ?W-50 weight. IMO, a 10W-40 is the highest weight that should be used in a 7M and that's on a high mileage motor.

If you want a little more light reading, take a look at this thread x87supra87x started...a lot of info discussed in this one ;)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31789

Last edited:

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
shoot, i noticed today that the pressure on the oil got REALLY low, around 5psi i think.. i'm not sure if it's b/c of the cold weather, or if it's been doin this the whole time (when the guy diagnosted it), but i'll be sure to keep an eye on the gauge.

when i'm out of gear and not on the gas, the car was idling around 10psi, still low.. not sure whats causing this and i don't really know what to do

EDIT
also, the car stalls out VERY easily when you don't give the car enough gas, could this be a result of the low oil pressure?

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
thechori said:
shoot, i noticed today that the pressure on the oil got REALLY low, around 5psi i think.. i'm not sure if it's b/c of the cold weather, or if it's been doin this the whole time (when the guy diagnosted it), but i'll be sure to keep an eye on the gauge.

when i'm out of gear and not on the gas, the car was idling around 10psi, still low.. not sure whats causing this and i don't really know what to do

EDIT
also, the car stalls out VERY easily when you don't give the car enough gas, could this be a result of the low oil pressure?

car at idle cant drop below, 4.3 at idle, so your fine on idle...
at 3k should be around 36-71 psi if i remember right.

get a lil thicker oil if your worried about the oil pressure

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
thechori said:

EDIT

Ok - First of all, oil pressure will not cause the motor to stall. There are several things that can cause the motor to stall...pull the ECU codes before you do anything else. This page in the TRSM tells you how:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&Page=23

Second - please read what I posted above...post #12 and post #15. Your oil pressure is not low! (Assuming what you have told us is correct). You are saying oil pressure is between 5 and 10 psi at idle...that meets the TRSM spec.

To tell you more, I need these questions answered:
- Is the oil level as shown on the dipstick good? Half way up the marks or greater?
(this is the most important...you must have the correct amount of oil in this engine. A little high is better than it being low. You will lose the motor otherwise)

- What is the weight oil you are using? 10W-30, 10W-40, etc.
- What kind of filter?
- What is oil pressure at 3000 rpm?
- How many miles are on this motor?

A thicker weight oil may or may not be the answer...do not run a ?W-50 weight oil, especially in cold weather.

Last edited:

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
jdub said:
Ok - First of all, oil pressure will not cause the motor to stall. There are several things that can cause the motor to stall...pull the ECU codes before you do anything else. This page in the TRSM tells you how:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&Page=23

Second - please read what I posted above...post #12 and post #15. Your oil pressure is not low! (Assuming what you have told us is correct). You are saying oil pressure is between 5 and 10 psi at idle...that meets the TRSM spec.

To tell you more, I need these questions answered:
- Is the oil level as shown on the dipstick good? Half way up the marks or greater?
(this is the most important...you must have the correct amount of oil in this engine. A little high is better than it being low. You will lose the motor otherwise)

- What is the weight oil you are using? 10W-30, 10W-40, etc.
- What kind of filter?
- What is oil pressure at 3000 rpm?
- How many miles are on this motor?

A thicker weight oil may or may not be the answer...do not run a ?W-50 weight oil, especially in cold weather.
alright, sorry but when i first stated my idle pressures, it was 20psi, so i thought that was the standard for the idle, then i was driving and i looked and saw the 5 psi was pretty shocked

i ran a diagnostic a month ago (nothing in the car has changed since) and there were no codes, so the car is ok i guess, unless the supra in general is just easily stalled