Changing out an oil pump

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You really don't know what oil you're using or the filter do you? As long as you're keeping it changed, that's really not that big a deal. Unless, you're using an oil that's too high a weight for cold weather. You really need to pay attention on oil weight, it does have an impact on pressure. If you have a lot of miles on this motor, a ?W-40 oil is likely what you'll need to keep oil pressure where it should be.

I highly suggest you get into the habit of checking the oil level at least every week. The 7M does not tolerate low oil for very long...a leading cause of rod knock in this motor

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
jdub said:
You really don't know what oil you're using or the filter do you? As long as you're keeping it changed, that's really not that big a deal. Unless, you're using an oil that's too high a weight for cold weather. You really need to pay attention on oil weight, it does have an impact on pressure. If you have a lot of miles on this motor, a ?W-40 oil is likely what you'll need to keep oil pressure where it should be.

I highly suggest you get into the habit of checking the oil level at least every week. The 7M does not tolerate low oil for very long...a leading cause of rod knock in this motor
yea..i don't know much about the oil, i've never even changed it myself :\

the engine SAYS it has 99k miles on it, not too much, is that enough to use the 40? or should i go a little lower

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
thechori said:
yea..i don't know much about the oil, i've never even changed it myself :\

the engine SAYS it has 99k miles on it, not too much, is that enough to use the 40? or should i go a little lower

What's your oil pressure at 3000 rpm?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
thechori said:
the gauge shows around 40 psi right at 3000rpm

That's perfect ;)

Now, find out what weight oil the place you used to change it put in...use that weight. The only thing you might consider is going to a 5W on the 1st number. And I would use a Wix, PureOne, or NAPA Gold (made by Wix) filter. Do it on the next change.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
mrnickleye said:
and I would never use 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil in a 7M. Too thin. The bearing clearances in these engines are larger than the newer cars. 10w-30 or 10w-40 is the thinnest to use.

Tsk tsk mrnickleye. That's downright painful to hear coming from a long time professional mechanic.

A 0-30 or a 5-30 would both be a 30W when hot and they'd both be a lot thicker than a 30 or 40 when cold so how could that hurt the engine? The 0 wouldn't be as thick as the 5 but they'd both be a hell of a lot thicker than when they're a 30 or 40 after heating up. Based on that I fail to see the problem. And someone had better tell my engine not to run a 0-30 because that's what I've used for years. What is it with people thinking oil thickens as it heats? Is that why you're supposed to change it hot?

The problem is the lower number. People think because it's less than the higher number the oil is thinner there. Nothing could be further from the truth. The 10W in a 10-40 is not the "weight" of the oil when cold. Learning that is oil 101, about as basic as you can get.

Last edited:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
jetjock said:
Tsk tsk mrnickleye. That's downright painful to hear coming from a long time professional mechanic.

A 0-30 or a 5-30 would both be a 30W when hot and they'd both be a lot thicker than a 30 or 40 when cold so how could that hurt the engine? The 0 wouldn't be as thick as the 5 but they'd both be a hell of a lot thicker than when they're a 30 or 40 after heating up. Based on that I fail to see the problem. And someone had better tell my engine not to run a 0-30 because that's what I've used for years. What is it with people thinking oil thickens as it heats? Is that why you're supposed to change it hot?

The problem is the lower number. People think because it's less than the higher number the oil is thinner there. Nothing could be further from the truth. The 10W in a 10-40 is not the "weight" of the oil when cold. Learning that is oil 101, about as basic as you can get.

Wow.. Since when did you... oh never mind, just listen to ^him^ everyone.

bo3232000

Lurking in the dark
Jul 22, 2005
Cumming,Georgia
www.cardomain.com
I agree also with jetjock completely,and i am a driveline builder for 16 years and always use Rotella 15-40 after break in with nd 30.....The way i see it if my dads 47 pieces of equipment run this oil which is special for diesels(If its good in extreme applications then wtfn for a turbo car) all day for the past 5 to 15 years that he has owned them with the turboes screaming mad shit all day it is wonderful for turbo vehicles or any for that matter..Rotella has almost no build up,soot,coking,or basically its nice to do an inframe on one of our loaders and its clean enough to eat off of inside the engine.
I have 38 full builds as as this date with one failure due to the stupid ass kid who just couldnt let it warm up before runnin the shit outta his civic....All engines built to date except 6 i have personally wrenched on and inspected...

Turbo Dave and mainstream performance are witness to my knowledge.....

Sorry for the oil rant but i believe in lucas for assembly lube and Rotella for a good centered oil for all climates above 10 degrees F.......

If you are building 10 at idle you are doing very well with probley a healthly bottom end....

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
cjsupra90 said:
most likely excessive wear on crank and bearings, not the oil pump if it is infact low.

What is your oil pressure @ idle?
What is it @ and above 3000RPM?
Also, what type of gauge are you using to check the pressure?
sorry for thread hijack... but my oil pressure never goes over 38 ish psi even way up in the rpm range...

motor has 18k miles on the bottom end (jdm engine)

should i change the pump, or just re-build the bottom end?

is there anything i can inspect in the pump? (will have pan off soon to do oil pan gakset)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
89jdm7m said:
sorry for thread hijack... but my oil pressure never goes over 38 ish psi even way up in the rpm range...

motor has 18k miles on the bottom end (jdm engine)

should i change the pump, or just re-build the bottom end?

is there anything i can inspect in the pump? (will have pan off soon to do oil pan gakset)

Dallas - It's likely not the oil pump...if anything, maybe a little bit of wear on the bearings. You could check the bearing clearances with a plasti gauge for peace of mind (assuming you're pulling the motor).

If you want a little more pressure (and really, yours isn't bad), shim the relief valve on the pump 1-2mm (about 2 washers) and make sure you use washers...you need to have a hole in the middle. Two will give you 5-10 psi additional pressure.