changing differential oil seal, quick question

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
My filler plug is about to strip out, and I don't have a new one to replace it. I'd hit it with a torch but it's so close to the gas tank :D. Before I totally destroy it, I thought of an idea. Can I just fill the differential oil through the driveshaft shaft side as long as I get my 1.3 qts in? I don't see why not.... anyone have an objection.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
You can fill it through the front. As long as you can get the required amount in. Making sure the front end is higher than the rear will help. You should be able to put the rear on the ground and jack the front up and still get a hose or better yet, a tube in there.

However I like things to be right. You can pull the rear subframe to get the plug out fairly quickly. There are 10 mounting bolts for it. Just disconnect the shocks from the axle carriers, remove ebrake cables from the equalizer, disconnect brake lines then pull the mounting bolts.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Too late, already did it through the front, I just poured really slow and made sure it went in and filled all the valleys. I got all I needed in. Actually in the time it took to pour I could have dropped the subframe or went to the store for a bolt extractor :<.

Dec 31, 2010
IL
SySt;155701 said:
You can fill it through the front. As long as you can get the required amount in. Making sure the front end is higher than the rear will help. You should be able to put the rear on the ground and jack the front up and still get a hose or better yet, a tube in there.

However I like things to be right. You can pull the rear subframe to get the plug out fairly quickly. There are 10 mounting bolts for it. Just disconnect the shocks from the axle carriers, remove ebrake cables from the equalizer, disconnect brake lines then pull the mounting bolts.

I seriously have to do all that o remove the diff?...This is ganna suck moth balls.