changing dash needle color.....

IRACEMYCOPCAR

HOLSET MAFIA HX52
Jan 27, 2008
SOUTH CAROLINA
Anyone here done it? i want to do a white LED background and red needles similar to lexus, i know the stock needles are orange and i think the color is on the bottom and shows through the clear needle, so i was wondering if i could somehow sand/remove the orange part and replace it with red and use a red LED to illuminate them??

Anyone have any input??

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I did that using the wife's red nail polish, when I installed my reverse-indiglo guage overlays. It looks okay in the daytime, but it does not illuminate as much as I'd like at night.

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Yea its not hard to do, ive done it before! dont sand the orande off, because since its clear plastic the light shines through it, when you sand it, it scratches the surface to where the light doesnt shine through good. if your trying to go red, just pull the needle out and lay it down and spray paint the back of it only ontop of the orange! not heavy, just mist over it a couple times.

-saif

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
i scraped mine off with a razor blade and used a red paint marker. it came out good and shows up great tht at night. I did the tip white. I also recomend to paint the very tip. As the light shines through it hits the tip and reflects back. Pics in a second

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I did mine with red touch-up paint, looks good during the day, but would really not as bright as I'd like at night.

Might try to redo it with the clear red paint that Steve_N mentioned about.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
makaveli913;1183626 said:
i scraped mine off with a razor blade and used a red paint marker. it came out good and shows up great tht at night. I did the tip white. I also recomend to paint the very tip. As the light shines through it hits the tip and reflects back. Pics in a second

Where those pics at! :icon_razz

I want to see more pics just for ideas if anyone wants to post. If they want to post them lit up that would be great too.

I remember someone a while back saying they had painted theirs white and are using a blue bulb so when it lights up it shows blue at night. If he's reading this I always wanted to see a pics of that.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I just wiped the orange paint right off with a rag and some M.E.K. Then I painted them with some red model paint (can't remember the brand, may have been Tamiya).

If you want to sand the orange off use 400 grit sandpaper and just paint on some thinned clear paint before you put the red on... no scratches. It's very simple.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've thought about putting reflective paint on the back and tinting the fronts so they're brighter... I'm kinda scared to pull the needles off though...

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
dsc01144dg7.jpg

Its just as bright as the other gauges which isnt really that bright but i like it. and if you decide to pull em off use a fork.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hmmm.. but it doesn't get all the way into the center...

I'd have to mess with it and see if I could pull the needle out of the black part to get the paint perfect or it would drive me nuts...

supradupra used some bacteria-sized LED's...

that guy's crazy when it comes to LED lightning..

Lol - yep used SMT LEDs to retrofit inside clocks - very fiddly and prob not for everyone...... & I'm just plain crazy period :)

The black part of the needles can be cut off carefully - it has 2 melted over tabs on the rear of the needle keeping it attached. You have to cut these off to pull it apart, then you can paint the underside of the whole needle then glue the cap back on.

Watch out for the little metal counterweights inside the black caps - these need to go back when gluing up!

How well the needles then light up at night using the stock light guides depends solely on color combination & light sourse so - blue lights lighting orange needles is pretty bright, blue lights lighting red needles tends to be dimmer as the 2 combined colors form dark purple basically.

I keep getting asked about how I relit the needles so thought I may as well post it here too for information.

The stock needles pull their light sourse from the green bulbs in the back of the cluster. This light is carried through light guides and projected into the needles lighting them up.

When you fit LED replacement bulbs this tends to pack up due to the way LEDs direct their light.

What I built to get over this was a tiny light module that fits behind the neeles.

p1187988_1.jpg

This is built using a fibre washer to mount the tiny surface mount LEDs to and solder them to a couple of small wire tails for connection.

This is no easy task - the picture below shows the LEDs size - thats a standard dress making pin next to it!

p1187988_2.jpg

I then fitted the light module into the guage workings.

p1187988_3.jpg

I opened up the hole in the plastic gauge cradle slightly to get shot of the factory light guides & allow mine to shine through - painting the sides of this hole black also stops light leaking back into the gauge face. This then screwed back together and provided a light sorse behind each needle.

p1187988_4.jpg
p1187988_5.jpg

The LEDs have the resistor mounted remotely to keep size down and run off of the ignition supply in the instrument cluster which means the needles always light up with ignition on which looks better IMO.

The orange paint just polishes off the needles, this then allows you to paint the rear side of them whatever color you want them.

I also separated off the red line area by modifying the facia light guide slightly and installing red LEDs behind in a separate compartment.

p1187988_6.jpg

So - thats how it's done - very fiddly but well worth it :yes:

Clock buttons got replaced at same time with clear ones which also illuminate.

p1187988_7.jpg

p1187988_8.jpg

so thats the trick.