Cars you can bank on...86-92 Supra

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Blackfin;973430 said:
^^^

A 97-98 less than 30,000 mile Supra TT could easily be found in 2000 for less than $20,000. I already had my heart set on that car but was buying a home. At the pre Fast n Furious prices it was clearly the best bang for the buck sport car available. At the inflated price, the MKIV is a very nice car but I believe there are better options.

maybe 94, not a 97-98.. 2-3 years after being bought new for 45k is worth less then 1/2? I dont know if even Kias go down that much in value in that amount of time.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
If you guys want the value of our cars to go up all we need to do is get a movie made and make a mk3 the star lol just think what f&f would have been like with a mk3 lol

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
themadhatter;973620 said:
If you guys want the value of our cars to go up all we need to do is get a movie made and make a mk3 the star lol just think what f&f would have been like with a mk3 lol

filled with sweet smelling steam and a diesel sounding engine.. :rofl:

lets not forgot a major part of the high demand for car is partly because the car its self.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I'm fine with my car "not being worth shit." It means more to me than it ever will anyone else and I'm sure as hell not going to ever sell it, so it doesnt matter anyways. Cheaper cars mean easier to get parts and more cars for--you guys should see how much BMW parts are...even for old E30s like our cars! I'm honestly considering making and selling custom parts for them because you can make serious $$. Also less theft. Who cares about some 1980-something Ford Probe? Owner doesnt have any money in the car so its not worth vandalizing/stealing etc.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
sluggo42;973267 said:
In my local newspaper this morning is an article called "Cars you can bank on"
It's written by Larry Printz in the Virinian Pilot in Norfolk Va. I'm in Socal, reading it in the Ventura Co Star.

He says the 86-92 is a car that people are going to want to have. It has a rep as a well-built and sexy car in it's own way. The styling stands up to time, relatively forgotten, and you haven't seen many of them at all, but beware. Many are rusted or all used up. You'll have to look for the little old lady one, but they are out there, and turbos back then were quite fragile, more so than today.
Price: $1,625 - $7,200

Since my stock black and perfect 91 is sweet, it must be worth $7K ?

Same artical ran in the Atlanta Journal Sat. under the headline " As investments, these rides could be high rollers".
The Supra was first on the list followed by : Ford Thunderbird 2002-2005,
Cadilac Allante 1987-1993, Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel Wagon 1979-1985, Triumph TR8 1980-1981 and the Volkswagen GTI 1985-1989.
I do believe these cars will begin to go up. I once paid $2800 for a good condition 66 Corvett Coupe with factory side pipes (this was 1978) and later sold it for $4500 and though I made a killing!!! If I only still had that one------

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
need new tires;973414 said:
nothing because the 5 spd version was very rare, almost zero were built.

Wow, I'm so tempted to call you a dumbass but lets just say there was no TT 5 speed mkiv's ever made by Toyota.

Blackfin

Beach Bum
Jun 16, 2005
John's Pass, Florida
tissimo;973608 said:
maybe 94, not a 97-98.. 2-3 years after being bought new for 45k is worth less then 1/2? I dont know if even Kias go down that much in value in that amount of time.

I believe I recall corectly. But these were just ads. The cars could have had issues. I did not look at them for I was buying a house. However, In 2000, many of these cars were actually 3-4 year old cars. And in 97-98, Toyota cut the price to the $36-38K range. SUV's were hot, sports cars were not. There is nothing unusual about 50% depreciation in three to four years in this case.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I really don't want our cars to be more popular. More popularity will lead to higher prices of parts, more idiots driving our cars, more theft, and more annoying conversations asking me whether my car is turbo or not.

Justin727

T-virus infected
i've seen 90-92 sell as high as 8k 6500-7k is the average. If they are in great condition! just because some of the people on forum are cheap and may not buy something so much I promise someone will. I had a guy about to hand me 10k for my 88 but I felt bad because i wasnt finished with the car.

Built motor with stock stuff all around (break in period). I should have jumped on it and invested in a mk4 or sc300. People aren't looking at expensive or cheap. when they look to buy an 86-92 sports car they are looking for an investment similar to say a good ol 68 camaro or any old hot rod you see restored on attending cruises and meets.

Im sick and tired of people saying well I wouldnt buy the car if it was that much or it wont sell. Well hate to let you know it'll sell eventually someone will want it.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
The mk3's are way cheaper in the states than in Aus, as here they are easily 10-15k for a MK3 that's in good condition.

It still amazes me though, you look at a Skyline (not a hater, I love R33 GTR's) but their interior is plain jane? so boring cheap looking, same with the 200SX's etc.. our car was a real GT. That's what gives it a lot more value than any of those other sports cars out on the market.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
I'm sorry to say the MK3 will never be worth anything, maybe a car in showroom condition with less than 10,000 miles. But even super clean well kept examples struggle to fetch £2-2500 in the uk, while people are still paying £4500 - £6000 for a 93 N/A auto MK4. The MK3 has a bad image and no reputation, so people are willing to spunk their money on a gutless N/A MK4 auto rather than a good clean MK3 turbo.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Down but not out;974682 said:
I'm sorry to say the MK3 will never be worth anything, maybe a car in showroom condition with less than 10,000 miles. But even super clean well kept examples struggle to fetch £2-2500 in the uk, while people are still paying £4500 - £6000 for a 93 N/A auto MK4. The MK3 has a bad image and no reputation, so people are willing to spunk their money on a gutless N/A MK4 auto rather than a good clean MK3 turbo.

I'm not expecting the value to go up, and as long as I can get parts for mine I dont care much if it does...but I do think it has a pretty big chance in the future when the import generation grows up. Look at the explosion of original muscle cars over the past few years...their value has skyrocketed! I think its possible for it to happen to the MkIII, but I'm not counting on it.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
vas85;974654 said:
The mk3's are way cheaper in the states than in Aus, as here they are easily 10-15k for a MK3 that's in good condition.

It still amazes me though, you look at a Skyline (not a hater, I love R33 GTR's) but their interior is plain jane? so boring cheap looking, same with the 200SX's etc.. our car was a real GT. That's what gives it a lot more value than any of those other sports cars out on the market.

I think we have the Cheapest MK3 prices here in the UK ;) - I've been to see a couple of 92 Turbos at dealers with $4,000 stickers in the window, despite a70s being far rarer than they are over there.

I agree with you on the skyline dashboard comment - That interior is don't short of awful.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States

thats the spirit!!!

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
jugodegolf;974696 said:
thats the spirit!!!

Well he has got a point.

The £2000 - £3000 it takes to buy a mint A70 can get you a lot of car - Soarers, Aristos, MR2s, S13/S14 200SXs Early Evo Lancers, Imprezzas, 300ZXs, GTOs, GTS Skylines, etc.

"Better" cars can be had for a similar amount of money.

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle

thats a good thing :D more spare parts for me hahaha

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
IJ.;973380 said:
A Car is only worth what someone will actually give you for it......

Couldn't agree more. I think the values of the MKIII's have dropped in the past 4 years actually (I've bought 4, sold 3). Thank our economy for that. Sports cars are toys not necessities. With the price of gas causing in increase in prices of everything, people get rid of their toys first. Same thing has happened to the sport horse market.

Hollywood has the best chance of boosting the MKIII's prices, more so than Pinks or a newspaper article. In the south, the american muscle cars will always be valued more than any import car. Go to any dragstrip down here, and your mkiii will stick out like a white elephant.

Rebuilding a supra is not an investment, its a hobby. Perhaps one day that will change.