Carbon Fiber Driveshaft pics

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Just when you thought there was no more places to add bling to your car. After much waiting my r-154 carbon fiber drive shaft is finally finished. Just wanted to share some pics of this thing. Weighs only 11 lbs. Direct bolt in. Not sure what kind of price tag I am going to put on these yet.

p854503_1.jpg

p854503_2.jpg

p854503_3.jpg

Got some pics of my Aluminum one piece as well. Weighs 12 lbs

p854503_4.jpg

p854503_5.jpg

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
CryoSlash said:
wow nice bling. Not sure how many people will see it though :D
I don't think it's really about bling at this point, more about decreasing rotating mass.

That would be cool, but I would be afraid of snapping it in half on a hard launch. How's the price compared to Aluminum?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The good thing about snapping a CF driveshaft (it takes a lot to do so BTW)...you have a broom under your car instead of a blender blade ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdub said:
The good thing about snapping a CF driveshaft (it takes a lot to do so BTW)...you have a broom under your car instead of a blender blade ;)

^^ding ding ding!!!

it doesn't do much in the way of damage when they fail, but they aren't as resistant to nicks and crap from road debris...

considering how stiff CF is and it's low mass it should have a higher critical speed, but I would only run one for drag racing on a trailered car because of the previously state reason...

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
A carbon fiber driveshaft is stronger than any aluminum shaft. This is not a new thing, you will find Carbon shafts on lots of road race cars, 24r endurance cars, even seen one on a 1500hp Hennessy viper race car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The broom thing looks pretty cool when they go off ;)

Someone needs to crunch all the critical speed numbers and post a table up so the guys can make an informed decision on which shaft suits their driving style/budget.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
Whoever welded the aluminum driveshaft,, from what I can see, went a little too fast welding it. Better job than I could ever do on aluminum, it just looks like the pool was cooling at a high rate. I'm not sure on this but this might be common with aluminum parts, due to the fact of how easy it would be to burn through. As long as your getting a good penetration it really doesn't matter what the bead looks like...

I'm used to welding steel and sheet metal, so I'm no judge, just throwing it out there, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
st2b said:
Whoever welded the aluminum driveshaft,, from what I can see, went a little too fast welding it. Better job than I could ever do on aluminum, it just looks like the pool was cooling at a high rate. I'm not sure on this but this might be common with aluminum parts, due to the fact of how easy it would be to burn through. As long as your getting a good penetration it really doesn't matter what the bead looks like...

I'm used to welding steel and sheet metal, so I'm no judge, just throwing it out there, correct me if I'm wrong please.

I think its sanded down is why its apearing that way

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
annoyingrob said:
I don't think it's really about bling at this point, more about decreasing rotating mass.

That would be cool, but I would be afraid of snapping it in half on a hard launch. How's the price compared to Aluminum?

pointless in a DS when the diameter of the DS is about 10% of what the flywheel is.

suprarich said:
A carbon fiber driveshaft is stronger than any aluminum shaft. This is not a new thing, you will find Carbon shafts on lots of road race cars, 24r endurance cars, even seen one on a 1500hp Hennessy viper race car.

have to jump in here.

The CF drive shaft that 1500Hp henessey viper uses is no where near the stock thickness. The only reason I know this is that Titan motor sports also runs one and they had to TRIPLE the CF thickness for the CF DS to survive.

Myself along with Duane have had a CF driveshaft for qutie some time.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
GrimJack said:
Keep in mind that Duane (upgradedsupra) has been running a CF driveshaft on his monster for years. And he puts a lot of miles on that car. And he doesn't drive slow. :D

LOL Dave. I have had a CF driveshaft on my car since 04. The not driving slow comment is a matter of opinion really :sarcasm: It is what I call normal driving. My car doesn't like me to drive any other way. :biglaugh:

Duane

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LOL, with those cams, of course not!

Any word on the critical speeds of these shafts, Rich? @ ~$600, I'm interested (very inexpensive for a CF shaft!)