Car not starting randomly? READ THIS (30 Amp Starter Relay Mod)

Agallington

Sep 13, 2013
Lacey, WA
Not saying it couldn't be the starter, but it is pretty new. It has no problem starting when the engine is cool or cooler. When this happens, my turbo timer, which displays battery voltage shows 10-11 amps only. Connected right after the ignition. It will a
Most always eventually start, but sometimes it takes a while. Could this be a starter relay problem even though it is only when warm(as far as I can tell so far), or ignition, or?...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Agallington;2021868 said:
Not saying it couldn't be the starter, but it is pretty new. It has no problem starting when the engine is cool or cooler. When this happens, my turbo timer, which displays battery voltage shows 10-11 amps only. Connected right after the ignition. It will a
Most always eventually start, but sometimes it takes a while. Could this be a starter relay problem even though it is only when warm(as far as I can tell so far), or ignition, or?...
Amps or Volts?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
10-11 volts is the problem right there. Indicates either a discharged battery or a severe voltage drop. Again, as I've said several times in this thread, all of these problems can be easily solved by the proper use of a meter. Just do it. Don't know how? Now would be a good time to learn...

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i'm on my 3rd aftermarket starter in a year. this time i went with a bosh. same shit after 3 weeks though. i firmly believe it has something to do with the extreme underhood temps. the car will start 75% of the time, but when it doesn't there's no click or anything. if i tap the starter with something it fires right up.
i know that there's a common problem with the wiring in these cars, but tapping the starter = mechanical failure and not an electrical problem.
i'm going to try a starter heat shield or blanket as well as a turbo blanket.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gsxr141;2022005 said:
but tapping the starter = mechanical failure and not an electrical problem.

As long as arcing didn't cause the brush to fuse in the rear position. Because that has never happened.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
jetjock;2022024 said:
Correction by tapping indicates worn brushes and/or worn solenoid contacts, both of which can be replaced. And while they can be at fault for the problem talked about in this thread they seldom are.

i agree with you on that point. my question is WHY they are going bad so frequently. a attribute it to th excess heat under the hood. although i am open to any other ideas.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Poor quality rebuild. I have a rebuilt starter from Toyota that has been trouble free for over 10 years now. The underhood temps of the Supra are no hotter than other newer cars I own, which is to say hot! Densely packed engine bays and catalytic converters = a toasty environment.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
gsxr141;2022005 said:
i'm on my 3rd aftermarket starter in a year.

It never occurred that aftermarket starters might not be the way to go?

OEM or nothing on such parts is my opinion. If it doesn't meet or exceed OEM quality on an electrical part, I dont buy it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Aftermarket starters and alternators are complete junk now a days. Id buy 10 used before id put a aftermarket one on my car. Cant even count how many ive done under warrenty when i worked at a independent shop.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I wish I saved the pictures of my first aftermarket starter when I took it apart for the contact issue. Trash. You can however rebuild these with Toyota parts no problem though.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
hvyman;2022040 said:
Aftermarket starters and alternators are complete junk now a days.

Amen! I went through the hit-the-starter-with-a-wrench phase too. New OEM starter was the solution.

I also went OEM with the alternator and master brake cylinder. Save yourself time and money and just replace those with OEM from the get-go.

Now I need to find a solution for the crappy rebuilt brake calipers..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
agallington;2021992 said:
did the relay and it is now hacked.

ftfy

On the subject of the starter, 99% of the time it's the contacts in the starter and not the solenoid windings or motor. The rebuild parts are VERY cheap for this failure and it's extremely easy to do.

Failure isn't going to be heat related as it's on the wrong side of the motor for that to be the issue. Many cars run the starter right under the exhaust manifold (with a cat in it) and they don't have issues.

Disassembly, cleaning, polishing the communicator, and lubricating the bearings/bushes is all very simple (though this is rarely the issue but is good preventative maintenance while it's out). Then again I've been rebuilding motors since I was little...

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
whatever is causing the problem, this fucking bosh starter i bought is worse than the cheap autozone one i had before. it almost left me stranded 3 times today. wtf!!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gsxr141;2022108 said:
whatever is causing the problem, this fucking bosh starter i bought is worse than the cheap autozone one i had before. it almost left me stranded 3 times today. wtf!!!

Does it simply click, or do you get nothing? If it's clicking and still not starting, it's possibly the contacts (later style contacts are longer and don't wear as fast). If it's not clicking at all, it could be the plunger was installed dry and it's sticking, or the relay/wiring is bad.

Simple search for "denso starter rebuild" in google has tons of info and places to buy the kits. This is what worn out contacts look like:
4645427181_1dee439546.jpg