car dies while coasting

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
The other day I was merging unto the highway in 4th at 4000 rpm, a car pulls out infront so I do a very slow shift into 5th. The rpms drop at a normal speed but fail to halt around 1000 rpm and it just dies. I was confused on what just happened so I tested it several other times. Anytime I take the car above 3500 rpm, press the clutch and hold it in the engine just dies. Any ideas on what this could be? Solutions? Thanks * The car idles perfectly when sitting....

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
yea the only thing i can think of is maybe your bov is vented to the atmosphere and causing you to run rich between shifts

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Check your codes. Use the link in my signature below.

Perhaps a code 51? Just guessing.

adicken1

The Man!
Jan 17, 2008
Memphis
shaeff;938061 said:
Check your codes. Use the link in my signature below.

Perhaps a code 51? Just guessing.

I've been wondering how to check for codes, guess I could've just asked. Thanks Shaeff.

- Andrew :drink1:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
You're welcome. :) Get back to us with any information that you can. The more we know, the faster we can pinpoint the problem. ;)

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
I just checking to be sure... the stock bov goes from the acordian hose the the intercooler 3000 piping? If so then, no everything is plugged up the correct way and I replaced the whole thing summer 2007.

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
I looked at those instructions, connected terminals E1 and TE1 but the check engine light didnt even blink once. And now that I think of it I don't think I have ever seen it come on. So now I wondering if it works. If I unplug the terminals and turn the car to on without cranking the engine the battery, antilock, e brake and several other lights come on. Should the check engine light come on along with the others?

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
cartert;939309 said:
I looked at those instructions, connected terminals E1 and TE1 but the check engine light didnt even blink once. And now that I think of it I don't think I have ever seen it come on. So now I wondering if it works. If I unplug the terminals and turn the car to on without cranking the engine the battery, antilock, e brake and several other lights come on. Should the check engine light come on along with the others?

Are you using a paper clip? Make sure the ends of the clip are pushed all the way down in E1 and TE1 (and make sure they don't move while you get in to crank) or the Check Engine light will just stay lit and not blink.

*EDIT: Just saw you say it's not coming on at all; If the clip is not in all the way, the Check Engine light should stay solid. So yeah, it should be on with the others. I think ABS is the only one that goes off.

Last edited:

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
I love when my car has problems, because I find 10 more problems while trying to fix the orginal. I doubt it is the check engine light bulb, that would be way to simple. The previous owner rewired my car in the ghetto-est of ways. So the light probably doesn't work as a result of his shortcuts. I guess I'll fix the light and get back with everyone later about the codes. Thanks for all the help

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
cartert;939309 said:

The bulb could be burned out or removed. That way the last owner didn't have to see his light on as a reminder of unfixed problems.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Talk about the stalling a little more. If you let off the throttle rapidly, as in let it close on its own, that is when it stall? Or does it need some engine speed?

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
my car did the same exact thing... it started as once in a while, and it got worse per time.. it would die as soon as the throttle plate closes.. but it idled fine... and no codes either... I pulled the Idle air control valve, took it apart, cleaned the plastic bearing where the spindle move in and out.. made sure the stepper motor works as in TSRM, then installed it with a new gasket.. never had this problem ever since..

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
Nick M;940489 said:
Talk about the stalling a little more. If you let off the throttle rapidly, as in let it close on its own, that is when it stall? Or does it need some engine speed?

If you let off the throttle rapidly and press in the clutch the rpms drop like they normally would. They just don't stop around 1000 rpm the just continue to fall, no studdering or anything. It does not do this I you alone let off the throttle, you have to press the clutch too.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
So, any codes? It could be a number of things, or something as easy as a dash-pot adjustment.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
cartert;941347 said:
It does not do this I you alone let off the throttle, you have to press the clutch too.

Uh oh!

If you're idling in neutral, and push in the clutch, do the RPMs drop a bit? What sort of clutch are you running?

I ask this, because there's one very good explanation for your car stalling with the clutch in: crankwalk.

Meet the crankwalk maker:
Supra&

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
Rob- It does not die if you are sitting still and press the clutch in, only if you are driving above 3500 rpm and press the clutch in and leave it in. I'll check later to see if they drop a little, when you press it in neutral. As far as I know its the stock clutch, whatever comes in an 88' 7mgte lol.