Can you solve my boost mystery?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
dumbo;1247369 said:
I got a dp off ebay and it stopped my WG from opening, but one from 935 I cant see that being a problem, i would physically check your wg/actuator, put regulated air to it and see what presure it opens at, i hit 15psi because of my issue on a GE block/pistons.... :nono:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Your boost pressure will naturally increase when you free up the intake and exhaust, no getting around that. Stock wastegate is set to ~6psi stock turbo 5spds. With his boost controller he should still be able to lower it back to stock levels since the spring still allows for it. As for me my wastegate spring is set to 14psi so i cant do jack to get around it other than opening the wastegate door a bit or getting fuel mods. Make sure Profec Vacuum lines are 100% correct as well as the settings on the back of the Profec. If they are good then id move on to the wastegate. In any case if the stock WG spring is set to ~6psi thats when it should open.

~JDMMA70

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
So here is my wastegate door fully open...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And my DDP... Clearly the door can't open fully and its hard to tell just how far it opens but what should this have to do with over boosting? shouldnt it make the boost come on slower?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

What concerns me is the wastegate arm.. I doubt it could even open fully cause of the dip stick pipe
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I put pressure on both wastegates and they both open so wtf! I need help!

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Hook it to the down pipe and see how far it opens. It's not really rocket science to figure this out/rule out the WG. And while you do that you can see if it hits your dipstick, if it does, just bend it out of the way.

Mikek3

Sep 2, 2008
South Florida
i know this would fry wires if done for too long but run it just down the block with no dp and see if it still hits fc, if you dont drive for long you should be alright

banzai

Jan 24, 2009
in a house
if you run your car with no dp, put a fire blanket on the firewall.. would help a littlebit. I'd just put heaps of chalk on the wastegate put the dump on, pull the wastegate actuator line, take dump off and check for chalk marks ;)

die grind your dump or hit with a hammer or cut and shut, whatever it takes :)

-bc

change your hoses, I had this same problem and tested all sorts of things and almost ported the wastegate hole before I noticed I had a tiny crack in the WG vacuum hose. Like so small I didn't notice it putting it on about 4 times until I used a bicycle pump to pressurize it and felt air coming out.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
I see what he's saying. When he apllies pressure to the wastegate actuator. It doesn't open the wastgate door all the way. Even if he stuck his stock DP on how would that help. If the wastegate door is only opening a 1/4 of an inch how is the DP going to get in the way. Maybe I'm missing something. Does anyone have a spec on the travel of the actuator rod? Or maybe there's just not enough pressure built up from his air pump to open it more? I'm going to unhook my controller tonite and hook it back to stock and see what happens tomorrow.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
on my 20G when i flip the wastegate door open its doesnt swing open 100% and thats with me opening it by hand.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Yea I will double check but all my lines are brand new anyways. I'm pretty sure it's gotta be a bad wastegate cause I've been reading and plenty of ppl have free flowing exhausts and other mods and are able to run the stock boost. I'm in the process of putting things back together. Should know by tomorrow if my spare wg has solved the problem...

877m

Feb 10, 2009
Lewiston, NY
u can go onto hks.com and buy i feul cut difencer or fcd and that will stop u from hitting fc of u can get i lexus v8 afm and bigger injectors but i would go witht he fcd because it is only 100 bucks or so. also try unpluging your factory boost guage there is a plug when u open the hood on the passanger side and it goes to a little thing about the size of a nano ipod its 1/2 way between the front of the car and the fender it says boost something on it and that should let u get about 14 psi

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
877m;1250051 said:
u can go onto hks.com and buy i feul cut difencer or fcd and that will stop u from hitting fc of u can get i lexus v8 afm and bigger injectors but i would go witht he fcd because it is only 100 bucks or so. also try unpluging your factory boost guage there is a plug when u open the hood on the passanger side and it goes to a little thing about the size of a nano ipod its 1/2 way between the front of the car and the fender it says boost something on it and that should let u get about 14 psi

AI-TR-PIN-S.jpg