can any one talk me out of buying a megasquirt?

which stand alone?

• Total voters

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
hey guys.

i've been building a motor up for some time and now come's the time to tune it.

im open to all options but i am leaning towards the purchase of a megasquirt II with a 3.0/3.57pcb

the motor is going into a 82mkii supra drift project.

it's a 89+ engine and ecu/harness
-weisco pistons
-arp head studs
-eagle rod's w/2000 series arp bolts
-arp main studs? (haven't pulled the pan but it's kyle's foto's old supra/cressida motor)
-mhg no idea on make.
-RonR long runner intake w/q45 & no isc.
-hks long runner cast manifold & hks wastegate.
-gt4094((4067) journal bearing, freshly rebuilt by mdc a year ago.)
-Rc 750/850cc (i purchased as 750's but their marked 850s?)
-stock cams (no idea on n/a or turbo) planing on 262's.

i also have 1jz coil's i am thinking about using in either waste spark or sequintial, though i still have stock coil's if the 1jz coil mounting plate never come's to exsist.

i'll also like to keep it with in a nice budget or 2k if i must have it tuned. so purchase &tune for 2k.

Last edited:

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
i see no reason to not use megasquirt as long as your tuner is cumfortable tuning with it...... i know many people running megasquirt and they have no issues.... just my .02

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i plan to set it up and tune it. if i become stumped, i'll contact Reed and see if he'll lend me a hand and do alot of dyno/ street tunning.

yotasupra3

Nov 22, 2008
OMAHA
there ya go ive messed with a few of my buddys cars one with ms1 and the other with msII it can do the same things as the aem or any other standalone and it is a hell of alot cheaper...................thats what im going to use thats my winte projest next year........

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
personally id go to your local most trusted tuner and ask him what he is most comfortable tuning....whatever he likes best!

although if you can afford a motec and all its bells and whistles then that would be the tits way to go.....seems everyone on this form who is someone (aka IJ, duane, and i believe ron) all use motec and all have spent unholly amounts of money on there cars and tuning that they dont have time to play games with poor equipment.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well let's say my trusted tuner is john reed, other wise i'll be tuning it. and will like to be able to tune it.

i really am not sure why i put motec there other then to see how many people read? lol i couldn't afford it with a 2k Tuned budget.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
So far as I know you can't run the stock ignition system with MS (though I've heard rumors, but no proof).

I kept looking at it, but until I can use the stock components (CPS, ignitor, ect), I'm sticking with a stock ECU...

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
Poodles;1256061 said:
So far as I know you can't run the stock ignition system with MS (though I've heard rumors, but no proof).

I kept looking at it, but until I can use the stock components (CPS, ignitor, ect), I'm sticking with a stock ECU...

you can use the stock cps, some people have problems getting a clean signal and some don`t, depends on the cps.
I tried 3 before I found a good one.

I have mine wired for 6 cop, using a 5v pullup to fire jz coils thru a jz ignitor.
it worked on a trial fit, (idle only). if the ignitor proves to be troublesome I also built a 6 channel ignitor using vb921 igbt`s.

there is no reason why you could not use the stock ignitor and coilpack, and use waste spark.

I also built a pair of peak and hold injector driver boards for low z injectors, so no need for resistors and pwm for the injectors.

when the engine is finished and run in, I will have no worries about using the squirt, and if it fucks up it will be my fault, and I won`t have to blame anyone else.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I would avoid megasquirt if at all possible.
I have had nothing but bad luck with it trying to run it on a 2jzgte I fried 6 jz coils and flooded the engine once which was enough for us to pull the plug on it and go AEM. When I say flooded I mean all 6 cylinders filled up with gas not just fouling out the plugs.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
funky_monkey58;1256506 said:
I would avoid megasquirt if at all possible.
I have had nothing but bad luck with it trying to run it on a 2jzgte I fried 6 jz coils and flooded the engine once which was enough for us to pull the plug on it and go AEM. When I say flooded I mean all 6 cylinders filled up with gas not just fouling out the plugs.

sounds like a short or bad injectors. or board... still like msII tho.. sorry about your luck

what version pcb did you have? did you assemble? did you have a stim?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
pimptrizkit;1256703 said:
sounds like a short or bad injectors. or board... still like msII tho.. sorry about your luck

what version pcb did you have? did you assemble? did you have a stim?
MSII assembled by DIY auto tune. New injectors and a new wiring harness. It ended up costing more trying to get it going than a brand new plug and play AEM EMS

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
pimptrizkit;1255897 said:
well let's say my trusted tuner is john reed, other wise i'll be tuning it. and will like to be able to tune it.

i really am not sure why i put motec there other then to see how many people read? lol i couldn't afford it with a 2k Tuned budget.

sorry dude.

Have you ever tuned before? What is going to happen (and you can take this to the bank). Is that IF you get the car running right, it won't be "correct". And if you get stumped, basically John Reed will wipe whatever you did and start from scratch rather than try and trouble shoot what you did.

Sp just pay for the initial tune and then ask if they can GUIDE you on what to do incase something arises. If you are a tommy toggle, you WILL break the tune.

Not everyone should tune and there are some that are tuning, that should not be!!

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
the more i read the more i want...

i belive it will do sequential injection under 2500rpm. but either way seq inj isn't really needed.

batch/group fire is what the mk3 supra run's every day with so it works fine. i think aem is batch fire too?

with the new firmware updates and v3.0 of the pcb for the msii you are able to use more then just the toyota vast ingnition system (other's worked fine but people had problem with the dli the 7mgte and 4agze engines used.)
but now it has support for it.

so in other words, i dont have to put an ugly trigger wheel on my crank dampener.

they refer to the cps and a cam angle senor, and also as a VR veriable Reloctor sensor, since it has a toothed wheel with out a missing wheel. and has the seccond vr trigger wheel to indicate tdc on #1 and 6.
(so my reading has tought me.)

the big things for me ,
-im able to use the stock cps
-controls spark timming
-controls injection
- can run thing's like launch control, 2step, flate shifting.
-nos control
-boost control
-use's alot of gm items (iat,boost seliniod, can use temp sensors too)
- can calibrate engine thermistors. so neg and pos' can be used and set or re-calibrated.
-total cost is about 750 usd. and that will get me egt,innovate TC-4 , boost control, msII pcb 3.x, 4bar map, msII doughter board (needed for dli set up)

cons....

- i have to assemble it to help keep cost's down
-build most of my harness, i assume i can intergrate my exsisting harness.
- i know very little about igntion maps.

pro's
-im ase certifed, electrical, drivetrain & m/t's, auto's, engine performance, engine diagnoises, suspension,a/c.

-i've tune'd ve tables before using the maft pro. and i have monited my timming and have basic knowage of how the engine works, and the burn rate of fuel.

-im eager to learn.

one last thing, the megasquirt will be going into a Drift Car. so my DD is still running maft pro that i tuned making over 375whp on stock 440's