Cams for a 500 hp MK3 Turbo

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Zazzn's service to this community is top notch! No he is no Brain Crower but he will go above and beyond the call of duty to make things right if there is an issues!

Ive known several people that have been running Crower cams for a good few years with there 7M's and they have had 0 issues and have never been happier!

The group buy that Zazzn is running is by far the best group buy for our community, it gives a LOT of people an opportunity to get the best bang for buck for performance for there cars!

So before you people start jumping on Zazzns balls for selling a great product and helping out OUR community you should step back and have a good look around!

boostin300

Jul 23, 2009
Las vegas
Zerocool;1380400 said:
Zazzn's service to this community is top notch! No he is no Brain Crower but he will go above and beyond the call of duty to make things right if there is an issues!

Ive known several people that have been running Crower cams for a good few years with there 7M's and they have had 0 issues and have never been happier!

The group buy that Zazzn is running is by far the best group buy for our community, it gives a LOT of people an opportunity to get the best bang for buck for performance for there cars!

So before you people start jumping on Zazzns balls for selling a great product and helping out OUR community you should step back and have a good look around!

If that's the case, excellent, go for the BC ones.

JCFsupraman

May 12, 2005
Cold North
Yeah don't be attacking Zazzn for anything. He is a buddy of mine and a trusted supra source and accomplished Supra Freak with major rwhp. He is getting a great deal on the BC stuff for those that need an upgrade or want one. Everyone will have differing opinions on stuff so lets just play nice and all get along. There's enough Domestics out there to turn the hostility towards on the street and the track. Thanks for all your imput guys.

Hey Eric, the guy doing the tranny now has found another issue with it so it needs to be resurfaced, he's ordered a thicker MHG and when all is finally in says it should be fine. It seems the previous owner of my Supra may have bs'ed or exaggerated a lil as to what condition the engine was in and how it was serviced. Doing the valve seals, and as for the shims if i need different sizes when they measure I found a local bike shop that is a Yamaha sales & service facility that is willing to take the ones that don't fit off my hands and trade for the right size. Yep I got the TODA but you know me I luv that JDM shit for quality and pay through the nose for it most of the time but the ebay ones work out surprising nice although not new but still ... JDM. LOL

So I'm at $50,000 and counting. Hey I'm almost up to Rupinder in terms of spending on his eh. And in terms of hp I may be flirting with 600 if I'm lucky. So I will be joining you up in the rare air soon. LOL Thanks again for the tips.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
BC is Chilled cast. I also sell lots of the BC cams. Maybe 1 in 12 or 15 has problems with the CPS gear phasing, which is an easy fix. Some others have problems with the bearing clearance being all over the place. For the most part all batches of BC cams since the first batch, have been pretty good and I have not had problems selling them or installing them. If you want big power, go with big billet cams from Teds or myself. If you want a good street cam for not a lot of money then the BC cams are fine and dandy.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Lets see, the last time I told my story (on SupraForums) about the problems I had with my BC264 cams, my post was deleted. Probably by the same username (vender) I see in this thread.

Edit: Not you Rich.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I have been in the supra scene for quite some time. The Toda cams for the 7M where for the NA (7M-GE) motor. They never made one for the 7M-GTE. Reason I know this is because of the overlap.

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
figgie;1383163 said:
I have been in the supra scene for quite some time. The Toda cams for the 7M where for the NA (7M-GE) motor. They never made one for the 7M-GTE. Reason I know this is because of the overlap.

and what issues would you have with said cams? I have them in my gte

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
figgie;1383163 said:

Bull.......
I guess you never heard of adjustable cam gears,
where you can set the overlap where ever you want.....

The Supra was never sold with a NA 7M in Japan.
The only cars that came with the 7MGE was one version of the Cressida, and the Crown.
TODA made them for the Supra/Soarer, which only came with the 7MGTE.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
gofastgeorge;1383189 said:
Bull.......
I guess you never heard of adjustable cam gears,
where you can set the overlap where ever you want.....

The Supra was never sold with a NA 7M in Japan.
The only cars that came with the 7MGE was one version of the Cressida, and the Crown.
TODA made them for the Supra/Soarer, which only came with the 7MGTE.

And I guess you NEVER talked directly with TODA have you? I did. Specifically back in 1999/2000. I even explained to them the application (yes they actually speak english over in TODA japan). My statement stands, TODA designed them for the NA engine regardless of what you BELIEVE. there is only so much that cam gears will do with overlap ;) Call bullshit as much as you want. You won't win, I can guarantee you that.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
figgie;1383233 said:
Call bullshit as much as you want. You won't win, I can guarantee you that.

Your funny......
Yes, I have had communications with TODA Japan.
And yes, no one ever wins against an SM 'expert'............

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gofastgeorge;1383238 said:
Your funny......
Yes, I have had communications with TODA Japan.
And yes, no one ever wins against an SM 'expert'............

Especially when you don't have a clue what your talking about ;)

SupraJerry

Banned
Jun 23, 2009
Kilgore
So when you advance the exhaust, so it closes sooner,
and retard the intake so it opens later,
or, retard the exhaust, and advance the intake,
does this not alter overlap ?

I fail to see what your saying that this is not the case.

If larger duration cams have little effect on turbo performance, why is zazzn selling so many cams to turbo guys?
Are you saying that those BC cams offer little gain, and money is best spent elsewhere?

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
SupraJerry;1385146 said:
So when you advance the exhaust, so it closes sooner,
and retard the intake so it opens later,
or, retard the exhaust, and advance the intake,
does this not alter overlap ?

I fail to see what your saying that this is not the case.

If larger duration cams have little effect on turbo performance, why is zazzn selling so many cams to turbo guys?
Are you saying that those BC cams offer little gain, and money is best spent elsewhere?

Actually I think what he is trying to explain is that adjustable cam gears are only going to let you adjust so far. There isnt 360 degrees of movement there. Your only have about a max of 30 degrees to adjust between the two cams. And if the overlap is great enough (not having used the cams in question) then you will not be able to compensate for the overlap.

Larger duration cams keep the valves open longer, and thus allow more air to flow into the combustion chamber, but when you have to much overlap, the exhaust valve is open when the intake valve is too. Thus pushing pressurized air and fuel out the exhaust side. Overlap is only good with NA engines that use the exhaust to draw in air and fuel.

SupraJerry

Banned
Jun 23, 2009
Kilgore
I was refering to jdubs last post, that somehow dissapeared :aigo:
(hmm, where did it go ? You know, the one that he was saying that turbo cars don't benifit from aftermarket cams)

And overlap is only a few degrees, say from 6 to 16 degrees,
so there is pleanty of adjustment with cam gears to cover that.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SupraJerry;1385299 said:
I was refering to jdubs last post, that somehow dissapeared :aigo:
(hmm, where did it go ? You know, the one that he was saying that turbo cars don't benifit from aftermarket cams)

And overlap is only a few degrees, say from 6 to 16 degrees,
so there is pleanty of adjustment with cam gears to cover that.

It said no such thing.....

Cams are normally most effective on a NA motor and less so on a turbo motor power wise. You will still see gains on a turbo engine, but the dynamic compression increase is going to limit you due to the boost (direct effect on dynamic compression) multiplier

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Calm it down a couple notches, guys.

Accusing Eric, without proof, of censorship to further his sales of product is pretty low. I have access to read everything here at least, (yes, including edits and deleted posts) and he's never tried anything even vaguely underhanded that I can recall. Last time I checked, my memory is pretty damn fine, too.

If your posts get deleted on SF, well, that's one of the risks you run posting there. They have paid for vendor slots, more complex rules, more staff, and more traffic to deal with. Furthermore, most of their extra traffic IMO is internet goons. I wouldn't want to trade places with them for all the tea in China.

As for winning a debate against a subject matter expert here, it can absolutely be done. It won't happen often, hopefully, or they wouldn't be experts - and if you're planning on giving it a try, I'd highly recommend you bring some serious evidence to the table.

Now I return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Fuzz420;1385433 said:
What about T.E.D. component cams. Anyone running the regrinds or the billets?

Price wise. They are about $1400 for both. For full billet it is not bad but the chance of someone paying that, very slim. Though perhaps one of the motec owners??? ;)