California New Car???

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Ok so the problem is...

STORY:
My buddy recently wrecked his z32 twin turbo and is getting around 12K from insurance. He is looking for a drift potential jdm machine around that price...

PROBLEM:
He lives here in California where the 1JZ and the SR20 are ILLEGAL:3d_frown:

Options:
RX7 (FD3S)/(supra7)--2JZGTE
S14 (SR20)

Please no Hating or Flaming we come to you for REAL advice!!!
Thanks...:biglaugh:

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Yeah the MKIII with a 2JZ would be SIK it solves the smog problem and its got the power and looks!!!

But the Nissan is Infamous for getting sideways, and would be easier to get than i JZ supra!

:sarcasm:
Then theres the RX7

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Just tell your buddy to choose a car that he likes on it's own merits and to worry about drifting later - It's been proven time and time again that practically any rear wheel drive car can get sideways with enough provocation.

If he likes a70s and is that worried about smog what's wrong with a 7M'd car? 12k would put together a solid car. That is of course assuming he's not another "JDM tyte" bandwagoner...

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
87soup;938349 said:
PROBLEM:
He lives here in California where the 1JZ and the SR20 are ILLEGAL:3d_frown:

Options:
RX7 (FD3S)/(supra7)--2JZGTE
S14 (SR20)

So do you mean an SR20 swap is illegal? The KA's that come in the s13's, though underpowered, have a good deal of torque for their power output. A lot of people would rather turbo the KA than swap to the SR. It's a little bit like the difference between the 1J and the 2J, although not as drastic. :biglaugh:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Turbo an AE86. would be super fast especially once you stripped it out...

and you can swap it, just pay a smog guy....

Or just 2jz an mk3... i personally hate s14/s13....

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
the ae86 is a favorite drift car here as well but then again we can import silvias and have sr20s. ae86's are pricey for what you get though. if your buddy wants to import look at the toyota levin(sp?) nice turbo car

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I can get him around the smog legality issue, other than that. Enought practice can make you drift anything. Although there are cars that are just naturally better for drifting. 240s just have the right geometry and design to do it good. As you can tell Supra and 240 suspensions are COMPLETELY different.
Anyways, if you're looking for a place to build, i'd be glad to help out. Could even work out some kind of sponsor deal

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
Grimsta;938615 said:
I can get him around the smog legality issue, other than that. Enought practice can make you drift anything. Although there are cars that are just naturally better for drifting. 240s just have the right geometry and design to do it good. As you can tell Supra and 240 suspensions are COMPLETELY different.
Anyways, if you're looking for a place to build, i'd be glad to help out. Could even work out some kind of sponsor deal

Might not want to post that type of information in the first part of your post...

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
First, MKIII's can drift with the right suspension setup. Trust me, I've seen it. The extra weight is only a problem if the suspension won't fight back. They have plenty of power regardless of what engine you have (my N/A got sideways pretty well), and the weight distribution isn't bad at all. For 12K you can either have a solid rebuilt 7M setup with an upgraded turbo making very decent power or a nicely done BPU 2JZ. The choice is yours.

Collin

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
got_boosted;938738 said:
First, MKIII's can drift with the right suspension setup. Trust me, I've seen it.

Yeah, and Boris and I have actually done it. My Megan's totally kick body roll's ass! We could both tell you that yeah, MKIIIs are totally capable of drifting.
But back to the part about other cars being more naturally set up for it. It'll be alot easier for a newby to get into a 240 and slide it that it will to get in an MKIII and slide it

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
I thought Wiisass had a group buy for a mod to increase the MA70's steering angle. If I remember right, it was pretty cheap.

"Who wants more steering angle???"
At $21, I don't think steering angle is a very crippling issue...

Wouldn't a 2JZ be the last thing you'd want for a drift MA70? Not only more weight on the front end, but isn't its center of gravity farther forward?