Buying 91 with 19,818 original miles PIC UPDATE

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
My mk3 had 2 or 3 previous owners and the first two used it as a weekend cruiser and the last owner was a friend of a friend of mine and used it for school and such. I also have every record of the car's history all the way from the showroom sticker to my last repair/upgrade even have a photocopy of the magazine article reviewing the car.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
S.A. supra;1992389 said:
Im thinking he bought it for around $600 since the guy was gonna junk it. What does the inside look like?

i got a better deal than that.

most of the interior is almost mint. the seats are E MACULATE. the only issues, the dash has a crack across the top from sitting in the sun. the center console lid, and the drivers floor mat worn where your heel sits but other than that its pretty decent for basically 20 years sitting in the sun.

Im probably gonna run back tomorrow and get some decent pics and maybe clear out the trash thats inside it.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Such low miles and sitting for so long leads me to believe that it will have some serious leaks. Just about everything rubber would be dry rotted by now. Should be a good project tho.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
bluebullet89;1992500 said:
i got a better deal than that.

most of the interior is almost mint. the seats are E MACULATE. the only issues, the dash has a crack across the top from sitting in the sun. the center console lid, and the drivers floor mat worn where your heel sits but other than that its pretty decent for basically 20 years sitting in the sun.

Im probably gonna run back tomorrow and get some decent pics and maybe clear out the trash thats inside it.

Ok, I know you said you verified mileage with some other records, but 20k miles and a worn floor mat from the heel of a shoe? One of these does not belong with the other...

Anyways... post up some more pics!

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
suprarx7nut;1992624 said:
Ok, I know you said you verified mileage with some other records, but 20k miles and a worn floor mat from the heel of a shoe? One of these does not belong with the other...

Anyways... post up some more pics!

Backlash2032;1992630 said:
My 100k mile floor mats are just now starting to show wear..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Trust me I'm with you guys on that. It there are a few things which would say to me that it has more miles than that but i'm pretty sure it was simply a really rough $20k plus the sitting damage. I find it hard to believe that they wouldnt have replaced the speedo cable over an 18 year period, DMV has records in the vehicle from over the years with mileage listed, Odometer reads that mileage and of course the Vehicle History report. I've looked at a lot of the components inside the vehicle like the wiring harnesses etc in the hatch, the front and rear seats, gauge cluster, steering wheel, bezels, carpet, and the undercarraige and stuff looks just too new to have high mileage on it. Like the LSD sticker looked brand new after i cleaned some dirt off it. WAY newer than mine. (its just got a lot of sun damage, a few dings/dents.)

After i pick it up. i'm gonna clean it up real nice, and take some better lighting pictures and post them up.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
So...... I figured I'd divulge the price i paid for it and put up the decision to what is going on with the car.

I went to the Mechanic's shop that was going to junk the supra and tried to start the car.... Didnt turn over. After talking to the manager i come to find out that the last owner was a bit of an idiot and got a DUI as he wrecked into another car in January 2013. So the car had a breathalizer for the past year which was taken out and the reason the car wouldnt turn over. The shop had it running before they took out the breathalizer so all i have to do is just fix the wiring to the ignition switch. (how i know all this?, the original impound ticket/DUI was still in the car along with multiple breathalizer records of each blow) haha.

I was cleaning the car out to get ready to part it out and i had my supra parked next to it. I went up to our apartment and my wife tells me. "Maybe it would be fun to fix that up and we can have a his and hers supra"... knowing my wife i laughed and was like "whatever". As she continued to convince me that she didnt care if i parted it or kept it but in the beginning she was completely against me keeping it. Even though i already had quite a few parts called for and would have loved to pull some other parts and put it in mine, i would rather not see a 91 sunroof get crushed.

So....... I'm happy to announce that I will be keeping the car, fixing the minor body damage, repainting the sun damaged exterior, finding the few interior plastics that are missing and reupholstering center console lid and a couple other small pieces.

Here are some pics of the before and 3/4 way cleaned out. I still have some carpet cleaning to do but its coming along very nicely.

AFTER some cleaning

Front seats and carpet need to still be cleaned a bit more thoroughly and a good wipe down of the dash.

Stella (blue) and Steph (gray) :D

The car will most likely sit for a couple months until i'm down working for the summer then the real work begins. :)

I plan on returning it to as original as i can.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
bluebullet89;1993664 said:
So....... I'm happy to announce that I will be keeping the car, fixing the minor body damage, repainting the sun damaged exterior, finding the few interior plastics that are missing and reupholstering center console lid and a couple other small pieces.

Hooray! I think this is the best decision, I hate to see another one get crushed.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Interior doesn't look half bad! You could make some pretty dramatic before and after shots with that car just with some minor interior fixes, a paint job and complete set of wheels.

Good luck and keep us in the loop on the progress!

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
suprarx7nut;1993707 said:
Interior doesn't look half bad! You could make some pretty dramatic before and after shots with that car just with some minor interior fixes, a paint job and complete set of wheels.

Good luck and keep us in the loop on the progress!

That is the exact plan. Good set of wheels, paint, clean up the interior, springs. And some good before and after shots. I will keep everybody posted but it will be a semi-slow resto.

Ohh..... And I picked it up for $450

dmp316

Yard Man
Jan 25, 2011
Cape Coral,FL and Jamaica
bluebullet89;1993711 said:
That is the exact plan. Good set of wheels, paint, clean up the interior, springs. And some good before and after shots. I will keep everybody posted but it will be a semi-slow resto.

Ohh..... And I picked it up for $450

Wow what a hell of a deal there. I am glad this MK3 found a good home. With the little TLC you gave it the car look great man. Good work.

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
SMH

Damn...I overpaid for my Supra. All I can say is, 3.5 years ago I was a dumb 19 year old that wanted to own a SUPRA!! But I still own the car, have fixed it up considerably since then, and I love it so I guess it all worked out.