Buying 91 with 19,818 original miles PIC UPDATE

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
So I happen to be the lucky aquirer of a Blue 1991 NA mkiii with sunroof 5spd w58 and LSD (fortunately).

As I originally happened to come across it I peek inside the window and look at the odometer. I see the last 5 digits 19,818 and think ohh nice a low 100,000 mile supra. As I look closer and more to the left I see what blows my mind as what can only be a ZERO, 0, number that has no value. And im blown away to think that this supposably has 19,818 miles. A I'm looking through the car. I notice multiple previous safety/emissions documents from 2012 and 2011 with the car at 16,###. Still in disbelief I grab the VIN and run a full history report and sure enough originally bought by someone in the state, stayed in state and sadly sat for the majority of its life.

I'll post some better/more pics later. But heres a little teaser.

p1992099_1.jpg

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Very nice find only two problems with the car that I found in the first sentence. 1. It's NA and 2. It has the W58 :D very nice find man it's very hard to find MK3s with such low mileage I think you may have the lowest mileage MK3 on the forum.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
That's freakin awesome!

Mind sharing how you came across it and/or what you paid? Assuming nobody managed to ruin the interior/exterior in that timeframe that's a pretty valuable shell if nothing else.

Very neat, thanks for sharing and please post up some good pics!

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
Nothing wrong with it being NA or having a W58.. This is a PERFECT candidate for a sweet swap of engine and trans.. Value will be much higher.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I have a 87 with 57000 miles. But it doesn't really matter since more then half of the car has been swapped. Low miles would matter if it was in mint all original condition.

What condition is it in?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
87Burg7mgte;1992191 said:
Nothing wrong with it being NA or having a W58.. This is a PERFECT candidate for a sweet swap of engine and trans.. Value will be much higher.

Um, no...With a car of that mileage, it is more valuable to leave it be. I would love to find a DD na/5spd in good condition.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
supraguy@aol;1992296 said:
Um, no...With a car of that mileage, it is more valuable to leave it be. I would love to find a DD na/5spd in good condition.

That's exactly what my car is. I love it. Unless the whole car is somehow trashed with less than 20k miles I would leave it in the original condition.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
As of RIGHT NOW i'll be keeping the purchase price private, haha. Sadly though because of the MANY years this just sat outside (assuming because of sun damage haha) this is what the exterior looks like. :( it just saddens me so much to see a mkiii with such low mileage be not taken care of.

some slight body damage but hey.

Once i get the thing towed back. i'll be cleaning her up real nice, take an inventory, and decide exactly what her fate will be.

So i've seen other people posts of finding extremely cheap MKIV's (barnyard find, My $1500 TT auto) and was telling myself it'll never happen to me but this is about as close as i'll get im sure. On friday i set out in the early morning to go browse local junkyards for possible A6 parts, Camry parts, and potentially a parts supra. In route i noticed a blue MKIII sitting at a repair shop i decided to stop and take a look. As i was creeping the car peeking in the windows the shop manager came out and said that he'd sell me the car. He said the motor runs but has some "engine noise" :( He told me he was just waiting on the title to come in and they were gonna sell it to a junkyard. As I thought about it not having any kind of chance i told him i was interested in buying it. So as we sit right now. I told him i would buy it, we are just waiting for the title from the DMV.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wow, interesting story. Odd that it would have gotten damaged in a measly 20k miles and lose a stock wheel for another 5 spoke (Rota?). Keep us up to date on it though, that's really neat.

Throw a good paint job on there, fix the body damage, find a complete set of 91-92 wheels, new brakes (and an engine rebuild from the sounds of it) and you've got a pretty high value car there.

Motivates me to find another project car to fix up/flip.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Yeah, you will definitely have a story to tell with that one. It's a shame to see the paint is such bad shape, but it doesn't look like anything that can't be fixed. I would do just like suprarx7nut said. Paint it, get a matching set of wheels, sort out any engine problems it has and just enjoy a nice low mileage Supra. Its hard to tell in the picture but it almost looks like it has a clear side marker on the front. It's definitely an interesting car, and a good find.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
yes. History report on the vehicle says its had like 4 owners of which one must have had Rotas on it (at least the 2 rear wheels) they did put an exhaust and some clear markers. I'll keep everyone updated.

The tough side of it will be the fact that my wife already feels i have enough car projects with my current soup and an A6 i'm working on the trans. To add another supra to the list, which she knows would be another money pit might be difficult to convince her of.