Build, will it hold?

MK3er

Jan 1, 2010
Ohio
I just got a new job so i will be able to afford the parts Ive been looking at for a while. My build will take me into the low 600 hp range and hopefully support drifting.

Engine

.020 Probe forged pistons
Eagle H-beam connecting rods
ARP Head/Main/Rod studs
Clevite Rod/Main/Thrust bearings
HKS Stopper MHG
and work done head/black shave and bore/hone cylinders

Transmission

R154 with Driftmotion full rebuild kit
ACT Stage4 clutch kit
ARP flywheel bolts
Fidanza flywheel
1 piece steel driveshaft/ i think aluminum would not handle the power?

Turbo/Exhaust

Drift motion 67 trim turbo kit
Intercooler with custom piping
HKS SSQV BOV
Drift Motion Exhaust system

Suspension/Brakes

Megan Track Coil overs
Full poly bushing set
Powerslot rotors
Project Mu pads

Fuel/Electronics
Walboro pump
RC 750cc injectors
Areomotive AFPR
AEM EMS

My questions are
Will this build handle the power?
Will AEM EMS be all the tuning i need?
Will i need a different LSD to handle the power?

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
the AEM is VERY versitale. But if you arent really really comfortable tunning and dont know your shit you better take it to a pro who does. That thing will get you to the perfect tune, but it can kill your car if you dont kno what your doing. I almost got one but i dont have anyone to tune out here so i couldnt get it because i know i wouldnt be able to tune it myself. But maybe you can? idk. they are way in depth machines but work amazing when done right.

I think you will need 2 pumps as well. 1 walbro might do it, but id plan on running at least another inline walbro, i would, you might not have to.

and also since your shooting for over 500hp, id think about maybe investing in som JE pistons or Wiseco or some other higher quality brand. If your into the drift scene your motor will need to be able to take a big beating and not that probes are bad. Im using them :p but for that kind of power id want top notch pistons. just a thought. if you get it tuned right then it probably wont be a problem.

Other then that i think it will be a good build. Dont forget a gasket kit and set aside at least an extra 1000 for all the random lil peices your going to forget :p

Good luck!! :D

MK3er

Jan 1, 2010
Ohio
My tuner is the designer of the origanol claway corvette and mongoose corvette package he knows his shit.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
I think you mean the DM 67mm not "trim". A 67mm and 600hp is way too laggy and too much power for drifting unless you want to do nothing but spin out on some mega donuts. You want quick spool and more manageable power for drifting.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ask your tuner what EMS he is comfortable with in the price range and buy that. It's worthwhile to use something that is well supported locally.

Are you planning on running race fuel? 600 whp from a 67mm turbo is pushing it on pump, to say the least, and I don't see anything for water / meth injection in your list.

Rear end will depend on it's condition. Stock LSD has held more without problems when in good condition. If it breaks, no point going with stock again, as TRD / Cusco / Kaaz can all be had for about the same cost, IIRC.

Aluminum driveshaft would likely be fine, however, steel is still tougher IMO.

And I'm with Blackdawg above - if you're going to drop this much coin, why not go with JE pistons? The cost difference is minimal when you consider how much you are spending overall. I'd ditch the HKS BOV for the same reason, and buy a TIAL. (Actually, I did just that... twice now. One for the old 7M car, and one for the 2J car.) Shaving a hundred bucks here or there on a build that's going to run thousands is pointless IMO. I won't suggest you upgrade to $20k of Motec gear for the EMS, but a few hundred extra on bits here and there? Do it! :)

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Herm Herm herm, 600hp = overkill , how about 500? using an afc? way easier,, well when it comes to cost. and go with t 61, you could drift all day for way cheaper

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Probes have been proven to hold 600. That won't be a problem but I agree with Grim, don't shave a hundred here or there if it is going to cost thousand.

I just bought Grim's unused Tial blow off as well, get the Tial, not the HKS.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1660948 said:
Not seeing anything in that list that will aid in longevity/survival of the engine if used in competition or drifting......

In other words...

-External Thermostat Controlled Oil Flow System

-Full Flow 7M Oil Pump Feed Line To Block From ARZ?

-New Water Pump?

-New Oil Pump?

-Upgraded Cooling System. Bigger Radiator, New Fan Clutch,

-Using New Internals, Did You Have It All Balanced?

Drifters usually like high revving engines like the SR20DET, RB20, RB25, RB26, 1JZ. The 7M is not a high revving engine from the factory and will take balancing and upgrading or parts to get it to spin at a higher RPM. There are more parts to what I listed. If you have them, you should add then to your list.

MK3er

Jan 1, 2010
Ohio
of course im gonna get a DM upgraded oil pump, fresh water pump, koyo radiator, twin electric fans. Plus oil filter relocation kit with oil cooler after filter to engine in front of bumper. So if i went for a more mild build around 500 hp probe would probibly be looking better or just go with somebody else?

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
kneedragger85;1660877 said:
I think you mean the DM 67mm not "trim". A 67mm and 600hp is way too laggy and too much power for drifting unless you want to do nothing but spin out on some mega donuts. You want quick spool and more manageable power for drifting.

2nd. You will want response for drifting, also your probably gonna strip the car, right?
My mk3 was able to break traction with a 57 trim at 12lbs of boost and that was with full interior/accessories. Im sure if you push 400-500 hp with a striped car you can do pretty well! But unless your going to be on the rev limiter the whole time I would suggest a more responsive turbo.