Bryan's 1uz twin turbo build

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
So its time to move on from my na-t and start another interesting project. This one will be a 1uz with twin ct-26. This all started with a friend suggestion of a 1uz and then with some research i have found that it has quite some potential. I'm particulary interested in it because its different, everyone seems to be swapping in 1jz, or 2jzs. So this build thread will be dedicated to my build. This is actually my first engine swap, and will be doing the swap with the primary help of my friend. Wish me luck!

The plan.
I plan on keeping this project cost at around 2k. I beleive i can accomplish using ct-26's. Since i already have one and i already have a maft i am well ahead of the game. I plan on running both ct-26's at stock wastegate pressure (around 7-8 psi) and using the stock 1uz ecu. From what i research its good up to around 8psi with a FMU.

Day1

Bought a sc400 1uz with ecu for $400 on craigslist. Motor has 85k. I am still in need of a engine harness. I never realized how hard it is to find one!

DSC04700.JPG

DSC04701.JPG

Day2

So i got my old 7m outta the bay and we are working on some custom mounts. After pulling the 1uz close to half a dozen times i think we finally figured out what we are going to do. Luckly the stock 1uz engine mounts are fairly close in proximity to the pre89 mounts on the subframe so our plan is to cut off the pre89 subframe mounts and reweld them in such a way it will work with the 1uz mounts.
I also ordered my w58 adapter and flywheel from uza70.com, so hopefully those will come in soon. I just need to find a engine harness now. If anyone knows where i can find one cheap, let me know.

the poopra feelin a bit empty
DSC04704.JPG

mmm tight fit, i'm going to modify the brake booster with a big ol hammer.
DSC04708.JPG

DSC04710.JPG

UPDATE: 4-28-12

Build photos reuploaded!
http://photobucket.com/1uzttbuild

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Are you familiar with Lextreme.com? They have a bunch of info about 1UZ swaps and builds.

I like the idea. I don't think I would do anything that involved.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
nick - yup i'm on that forums.

supraboostin - i am going to paint it after i get the motor running and after i get all the turbo stuff done. no sense in painting it then scratching it all up again

hopefully i get time today to finish the mounts

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
viper: you should paint your engine bay black, it'll really make that engine and shiny parts pop. Plus, dark blue and black are a sick contrast, very complimentary :D

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Moy;1316023 said:
viper: you should paint your engine bay black, it'll really make that engine and shiny parts pop. Plus, dark blue and black are a sick contrast, very complimentary :D

I kinda agree with your rims and the black moulding ...Yeah would tie everything together really nice . I have a Black emblem on a 3e5 and it looks sick with my black A duct and bomex lip ..you should photoshop it

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
ok so day 3 is pretty much over for me.. we made some custom mounts on the front subframe to accomodate the 1uz. for the next few weeks i probably wont make any process since i will be missing my wiring harness. i still need to find one, sc400's are so hard to find in parts!!

DSC04711.JPG

btw the engine bay will be black, but the motor.. thats a suprise.,.. dont worry itll look pimp when done :)

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
so i did some more test fitting and i just hit a speed bump.... radiator wont fit.. doh... so i have 2 choices.. get rid of the TT project or shift the radiator to where the condensor was... well i went with plan B. i'm on a lookout for a radiator that will fit in the condensor location with minor adjustments. Also does anyone know if it matters which way a radiator flows? i found a 3 row mishimoto that may work but to route the hoses cleanly, the flow is reversed. on for pics! (approximate location where turbo will sit)

DSC04713.JPG

DSC04715.JPG

DSC04716.JPG

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
mattsplat72;1317052 said:
Ok you lost me with the turbo placement, But I will not loose faith .

turbos cannot fit on the side of the engine since the lack of space, so what lexus guys do is front mount them.. i plan on flipping the header to face forward and then making a custom pipe up to the turbos