Breastfeeding

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Alright, I'll offer up my humbled opinion so take it for what it's worth. I'm not sure on the bottle vs. breastfeeding as far as which one produces better/stronger/smarter kids, but I believe that every mother should try it at least once(not necessarily "make" then, just encourage them). I believe that breastfeeding if you are able, promotes bonding and intimacy with the child you are with at that time. My two sisters and I all have been breastfed when we were young grasshoppers, my mom's sister has not been able to do so for some her kids. Maybe I'm being insensitive when I say that everybody is making this a bigger deal then it really is, I believe matt didn't mean "make" in the form of forcing it upon somebody but merely encourage them to try. I feel bad for those who are less fortunate to experience and/or enjoy this bonding experience but in no way do I believe that you are depriving your child that would otherwise be breastfed. My two cents...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I think if a Woman can breastfeed, she should. If she can't, due to the many reasons that have been stated, then formula is the next best thing.

This stuff is straight from the source..The FDA

" Breast-fed babies have fewer illnesses because human milk transfers to the infant a mother's antibodies to disease. About 80 percent of the cells in breast milk are macrophages, cells that kill bacteria, fungi and viruses. Breast-fed babies are protected, in varying degrees, from a number of illnesses, including pneumonia, botulism, bronchitis, staphylococcal infections, influenza, ear infections, and German measles. Furthermore, mothers produce antibodies to whatever disease is present in their environment, making their milk custom-designed to fight the diseases their babies are exposed to as well.

A breast-fed baby's digestive tract contains large amounts of Lactobacillus bifidus, beneficial bacteria that prevent the growth of harmful organisms. Human milk straight from the breast is always sterile, never contaminated by polluted water or dirty bottles, which can also lead to diarrhea in the infant.

Human milk contains at least 100 ingredients not found in formula. No babies are allergic to their mother's milk, although they may have a reaction to something the mother eats. If she eliminates it from her diet, the problem resolves itself. "

That's just part of it. You can read the rest here. http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/895_brstfeed.html

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Clueless;1288153 said:
Maybe I'm being insensitive when I say that everybody is making this a bigger deal then it really is, I believe matt didn't mean "make" in the form of forcing it upon somebody but merely encourage them to try.

It's because it's NYP. :sarcasm:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DreamerTheresa;1291742 said:
Well, mine are for groping, since I don't and won't have kids.

grope.gif

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
DreamerTheresa;1291742 said:
Well, mine are for groping, since I don't and won't have kids.

And for flashing feeshbowl.
I wonder who else remembers that incident.

As per the origional post, I have nothing to say on this matter, because I have never breastfed a baby, or been with a girl that has(THANK GOD the first one, it would be very wierd).

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Tanya;1292126 said:
Goodness. Everyone knows that breasts are for men to suck on, not BABIES. Geez.

Possibly the most important fact that's been posted on SM this year.

Mmmm... boobs. :)

IMO, every mom should try breastfeeding and if it doesn't work then it doesn't work and do the next best thing...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I wasn't breast fed as a child and now I'm scarred for life. Whenever I see bare breasts, I want to rub, squeeze and suck on em :biglaugh: