Breastfeeding

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Apparently people were offended by my 'make your wife breastfeed' remark in Clueless' thread - Good News!!

Aside from tying up the mother of your child and shoving the baby onto the boob, is 'making' your wife breastfeed a bad thing? I'm considering 'making' to be strong encouragement-no death threats, threats of withholding something, violence/abuse of any kind (physical or emotional)... Just a "honey I REALLY wish you'd breastfeed" type of encouragement-along with all the supporting data, of course.

My wife being a nurse, I never had to deal with this... but we encourage all of our friends who are pregnant that they should atleast give it a try.

Thoughts, experiences, rants...? I'm here at work for another 8 hours and I'd love to hear them.

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
My old boss had a case where he really wanted his wife to breastfeed, and she wasn't so keen on the idea. They came to a compromise, however - she would breastfeed if he quit smoking. So there was no "making" her breastfeed, just some negotiations. :)

I will give it a shot when my time comes, but we'll see. It may not be the thing for me, or there may be problems. My sister's first child had to go the bottle route...she couldn't pull the essential stuff down from the breast, so she was feeding like every 30 minutes but not really getting what she needed. Second baby had no problems.

I guess it all depends on the woman. :shrug:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I didn't have a problem with that because my girlfriend breastfed both of our sons. The first one so long that he was already old enough to lift up her shirt and eat himself. I was more against it because i couldn't use her breasts for my purposes since they had milk, and its kind of perverted for a grown up to suck on a tit with milk. Bottle babies get sick a lot more than breastfed ones. i'm very disappointed that mothers choose formula over breastfeeding for convenience. The evidence is there, the data is there, bottle babies are smaller, weaker, slower and so on and so on. i see it on a playground every day. She has to do it for the baby, man, its the babies health for the rest of its life. 3 or 4 month of breastfeeding is not really a big deal, but the benefits for the baby are huge. Don't deny your baby in healthy start in life.

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
My wife got emotional when she stopped breast feeding our last one, I don't have to push it on her.
Don't you guys notice how much faster women lose there weight when they feed.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I did not breast feed either of my kids, and they are not mutants, they are both very smart and healthy. I have my reasons why I did not breastfeed, and I'm sticking to it.

I edited out the rest of what I was going to say, bc I know it would piss a lot of people off, and I really don't want to have to walk away from this forum for having my own opinion which varies greatly from everyone else's

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ I don't want anyone to get upset from this, and I'll respect any opinion which differs from mine. Perhaps there's a side of this that i couldn't begin to understand being a male, not having a child grow inside me for 9 months... But topics stuff like this and smoking to me are just... I don't even have a word to put on them.

If it's good for mama and baby... how can it be bad?

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
Are you comparing smoking while pregnant, to not breast feeding? Never mind. Too off topic ....imo

As far as breast feeding. I have two children who are honor roll students, no food allergies, both walked before they were one year old, talked in complete sentences before they were 2 yrs old, and never had an ear infection until they were well past the bottle stage.

I think they are well adjusted, considering I decided to deprive them of breast milk.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
mkiiSupraMan18;1286248 said:
^ For both situations... a pump would more than likely do the trick.

No, it doesn't.

I really don't want to go into it, but I WANTED to breastfeed, but Chloe wasn't able to. She couldn't latch on and bring the milk down.

I even persevered with it (both breastfeeding and pumping) until I was bleeding and in so much pain I was crying whilst trying to feed her. If I had continued, she would have been malnourished, because she wasn't getting any nutrients. I would also have spiralled into postnatal depression due to the pain and frustration.

I wouldn't wish the pain and suffering I went through on ANYONE, not even my worst enemy.

This is why I am reacting to your posts.

No matter what you do or say, you CANNOT make it happen.

Oh, and she is a VERY healthy 10 month old now, and achieving all of her milestones either on time or early.

Please show me a child in this day and age who is underweight and not developing properly PURELY due to being bottle fed.

Last edited:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
werd to all that.

Breastfeeding is nice, but it isn't a necessity. I wish it wasn't treated as such. I wish people didn't try to make those of us who don't, feel horrible... like we're not providing 110% for our children because if it.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Yes!!!!!

I had nurses coming 3 times a day to "help".

1 of them was VERY pro-boob, and it made me feel a million times worse when she was around... Like it was MY fault for it not happening naturally.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
LilMissMkIII;1286355 said:
No, it doesn't.

I really don't want to go into it, but I WANTED to breastfeed, but Chloe wasn't able to. She couldn't latch on and bring the milk down.

Apparently, my sister's neeeples are too small for my nephew to grasp, so she has these plastic pastie nipple extender things that she uses.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
mkiiSupraMan18;1286320 said:
^ I don't want anyone to get upset from this, and I'll respect any opinion which differs from mine. Perhaps there's a side of this that i couldn't begin to understand being a male, not having a child grow inside me for 9 months... But topics stuff like this and smoking to me are just... I don't even have a word to put on them.

If it's good for mama and baby... how can it be bad?

Because it isn't always.

Sometimes mom doesn't have enough milk, or sometimes she doesn't have "good" milk.

I don't agree abstaining from breastfeeding for "convenience" sake (seriously, if you're going to be inconvenienced by a kid, why have one?) but other issues arise where the mother or child are unable to breastfeed.

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
Richmond, Virginia, United States
i think a hidden reason why women dont always breast feed is because they use drugs and cant stop long enough to help their children develope the way they are supposed to. im sure there are some other medical reasons but drug usage would be a good reason. my girlfriend fed her first and not her second and there is def a difference. women have breast to feed children and thats why they are there..... cant wait to see what the women are gonna say.

again this is MY opinion so i better not get into any bs for this

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
So what facts have you based this opinion on???

As I said, show me a child in this day and age that is malnourished/not developing physically and mentally as they should PURELY due to being bottle fed.

Until you show me this child, you are talking shit.

Also, that is an incredibly large generalisation you have made about those who bottle feed... I cannot believe that males, especially those who have kids, could be so fking ignorant.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
johnd;1286285 said:
My wife got emotional when she stopped breast feeding our last one, I don't have to push it on her.
Don't you guys notice how much faster women lose there weight when they feed.

Breast feeding is a very high calorie burning 'exercise'

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
D7MSupra;1286413 said:
i think a hidden reason why women dont always breast feed is because they use drugs and cant stop long enough to help their children develope the way they are supposed to. im sure there are some other medical reasons but drug usage would be a good reason. my girlfriend fed her first and not her second and there is def a difference. women have breast to feed children and thats why they are there..... cant wait to see what the women are gonna say.

again this is MY opinion so i better not get into any bs for this

I didn't really understand anything you typed to begin with....

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
MKIII VIXEN;1286327 said:
Are you comparing smoking while pregnant, to not breast feeding? Never mind. Too off topic ....imo

lol, not at all... I was saying breast feeding and it's documented pro's... and some people all but ignoring them... and smoking and it's known con's and people ignoring them.

Im not sitting here saying "all you women who didn't breast feed are the worst parents that I've ever heard of"... So please don't try and flip this as me saying that.

Since my wife breastfed her and my son got a lot of quality bonding time (not that I don't get alone time with him) but when he was hungry, he knew who he wanted and it wasn't me. THAT sucks. For all I know he had gotten so close to her during those times that's why when he falls and starts crying and we're both around he goes to her, 100% of the time.

As stated in post #1, I seemed to have irked a few people by my comment and I wanted to know why and not derail the thread.