Brake upgrade question

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
So I've been researching a factory brake upgrade for my car and I came across an old post on the "other" forum that mentioned the use of Celica All-Trac calipers on our cars. They mentioned that they bolted right up without any modification, but i can't find any info to back it up. Is this true? Or is he completely off his rocker and that's why it's never mentioned again? My other thought was that he was describing the Previa minivan caliper "upgrade" (2piston vs. 1). If anybody has any info on this I would appreciate it.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Don't want a BBK, just want a little better than stock. Personally I have yet to surpass the capability of the factory brakes, but I really dislike the thought of a single piston front brake system. So I'm still in search of a factory upgrade, which so far has only led me to the Previa calipers.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Without modifying anything that's pretty much the only choice.

There is also the cobra upgrades.

No reason not to have a bbk other than not having money.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
hvyman;1997531 said:
No reason not to have a bbk other than not having money.

16" Starion rims... I won't be able to fit a full BBK under that small of a rim, but that's the look I want for the car so I have to find a middle ground and I would rather its a Toyota product.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Using a 2 psiton caliper instead of one is only a very slight upgrade. rotor mass is still the same. Crap pads will decrease braking power greatly. a good pad will go farther than a 2 piston caliper.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Rebuilt Calipers, Fluid Flush, New Lines, Rotors, and Good Pads go a LONG way. Thats what I did, you'd be surprised how nice new or rebuilt calipers feel. Its not on par with a BBK by any means but, it was better than what I had before.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
DeMoN2318;1997553 said:
You want "better than stock" brakes...better pads will make the brakes perform "better than stock"

I want better than stock calipers, my plan so far is to install the EVO Brembo rear kit along with the getting the larger master cylinder and some type of upgraded front calipers that will all fit under the Starion 16" rims. I know there are better options and ways of achieving better brakes, but that only fulfills half of my goals.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
For about $1k per rim. None of this answers my original question. I really just need to know if anybody has tried this and if it worked. Or if there is another similar option that achieves the same goal I'm all ears.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Daily driver with the possibility of autoX in the future. I drive very spiritedly and would like my car to be equipped to deal with my style of driving... While maintaining the look I want

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Don't recall ever seeing the Alltrac brakes being used on a MK3... I currently run stock calipers with Brembo rotors (I think slotted/drilled are just silly). A BBK is my end goal, but they aren't critical quite yet because of how I drive.

Be interesting to see if you find a solution like this and what it will cost...

(just off the top of my head.. aren't Celica brakes about 75% the size of the MK3 brakes?)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
bbk or nothing. if its a track car why cheap out on the most important part?

89 nissan 300zx 4 piston calipers. 120$ a caliper.

but why spend all of that time when you could just do it right?

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
dont think the alltrak brakes will fit. Im like 90% sure they use big brake lines. I think the mk3 has m10 and I had a buddy with a trc that was complaing about making 1/4 in brake line. I never seen it for myself but hey get messy make mistakes and waist money (if it fits or not) then love your car but Im kinda sure If it would have been better toyota and not too much more $$ toyota would have did it stock.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
If you don't like to go with the upgraded pads/ rotors/lines and what not, the other 2 alternatives would be the nightpager bracket and 300zx calipers with 350z track rotors paired with some nice pads or downward cobra set up. I've seen both set ups in person and the doward kit is amazing.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
As was mentioned.

you either do it right or don't do it at all.

In case of AutoX. BBK. end of story. The wheels are to small? Sorry, that is an excuse. Should have thought about that prior to purchasing said wheels.

You either do it right the first time or you will have plenty of time and invest MORE money to do it again until it is right.

Brakes work on heat, more heat requires more area to dissipate. So unless you are going to carbon/ceramic setup at the same size (which is a significant amount of $) then you are stuck with a mediocre stock setup, regardless of pad choice (pads will chew the hats up fast).

Last edited: