Brake pad recommendations

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
I have been using Hawk HPS brake pads in my MKIII with good results. I am installing Wilwood calipers this winter and would like to know if anyone could recommend a Wilwood brake pad compound that would be suitable for street only use. I still may go with the Hawk pads but I thought I should have a look at Wilwood as well.

Thanks

Vic

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Arz recommends Wilwood Street Compound. That what he says he uses and is providing with his Wilwood caliper front BBK. PM him to see which model pads he uses.

I use Porterfield carbon R4S street/strip pads. You can get them for any brake application, even if its not in the catalog. I had a set of pads custom made. But I believe they make them for Wilwood calipers.

I've heard Hawk pads are abrasive.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
In no way am I actually recommending them for a performance application but -

The rear Autozone pads are just organic compound. Nothing special, by any means, and they wear out quickly.

The fronts on the other hand, are listed as organics - but I recently picked up a set for a friend's N/A Supra, and they were actually a ceramic compound. Not bad for $17, lifetime warrantied. :)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
porterfield r4s pads work great, with a little bit of noise at the beginning of brake pressure.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
QWIKSTRIKE said:
That cheap shit isnt worth mounting. You can stop better using the soles of your feet like the flintstones.:aigo: :biglaugh:

Lifetime warranty. I used to change out the pads on a weekly basis. I actually ran both of the local autozones out once in my backroad days.

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
Thanks for the feedback. I have also used the Porterfield pads in the past and had great luck with them. Low dust and easy on the rotors. I will investigate availability. Hope the Hawks aren't too abrasive - that's what I will be putting in my 4Runner.

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
Just adding another vote for Porterfield pads. I have the R4S pads on Powerslot rotors up front (on both Talon and Supra), and regular auto store pads in the rear.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I used autozones when I first bought my Supra.... I hated the fade, the initial bite was okay, but it really became annoying.

I'm still using some TRD HPZ pads in the fronts of mine, that I bought, I think six years ago? It was before I joined the Army.

They really are TRD HPZ pads. THEY EXISTED. I've never had fade from these. Though, since I joined the Army, I've only driven my supra like, 3,000 miles....... I still can't believe I what I paid for them ($40, thepartstrader.com FTW!).

But yeah, Wilwoods are great. I was going to switch to Porterfields when these go.

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
Just ordered the Porterfield R4S's directly from Porterfield. Up until Christmas they have free UPS ground shipment within the US. Won't install them until the spring but I will at least be ready with all of the parts. :icon_bigg

Last edited: