Brake pad help please

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
I am trying to replace the front pads and I cant get the cylinder off....accoring to the TSRM I just remove the brake hose brackets and then the bolt for thr cylinder...that is it right....and then pull it off and replace the pads...so what am I doing wrong?

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
ebang said:
I am trying to replace the front pads and I cant get the cylinder off....accoring to the TSRM I just remove the brake hose brackets and then the bolt for thr cylinder...that is it right....and then pull it off and replace the pads...so what am I doing wrong?

You shouldn't have to move anything for the brake hoses. there is a bolt on the back of the caliper on the bottom, after removing that bolt the caliper should just flip up staying in place by the second bolt(you might need a long screwdriver or something along those lines to flip the caliper)

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
ok..I got the caliper off with a hammer, put in the new pads and now I can't get the caliper over the pads..it is hitting on the oustide pad and I can't pull it hard enough to get it to go back down...Is there a top bolt that holds that caliper in place as well as the bottom one???

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
it's getting the caliper over the pad...it does not even clear the pad to start to go back into place...I tried to hammer it back in but that just nicked up the outside of the pad....this is happening with both sides...question...Do I have to sqeeze in the top a bit with a clamp as well??

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
ok I got the piston back and putting the caliper over the pads I have to hammer it in...and the rotors will not spin by hand...is it possiable that the pads I were sold are too think?

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
I finally figure it out with some help from my neighbour...the caliper where it swings up were seized...I had to remove the caliper and bang out the one part that holds the pads on the rotor and grease it up and put it back on...I had no idea that it was supoposed to move back and fourth.(I sure do know now). In doing so I damaged the top bolt for the caliper so back at it again today after work..5 hours on one side isn't too bad i guess....lol...

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
That is a bad problem to have. When I replaced my brake pads, I had to replace 3 of the 4 calipers with it. I had the exact same problem, I pushed the piston back in, but the caliper still wouldn't go over, so I had to replace the calipers.

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
Well i didn't have to replace the first caliper and will be working on the second one later..hope that goes a little easier...after that I will start the back ones.

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
ok....this may be a stupid question but what it the bleeder plug...is it that little bolt thing on the caliper...if it is what if I broke it off? How do I bleed the fluid?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yes that was the bleeder.......

You could try an "easy out" but there's a chance it'll break off as well.

It's looking like rebuilt callipers might be a better option for you now.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
You should have just opted to rebuild anyway sinse you have no clue as to how to do a brake job. This entire thread has been a cluster f uck. I know Ij and everyone else can handle this. You may want to switch to a nissan sentra or something.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supramacist said:
You should have just opted to rebuild anyway sinse you have no clue as to how to do a brake job. This entire thread has been a cluster f uck. I know Ij and everyone else can handle this. You may want to switch to a nissan sentra or something.
A bit harsh but close to the money!

Brakes are not something to mess around with if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
speaking of brakes, my bros pedal seems a little spongy... brake master is good, but is there anything i can do that doesnt involve bleeding all the brakes?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
CryoSlash said:
is there anything i can do that doesnt involve bleeding all the brakes?

Pray?

You could check to make sure the hoses aren't swelling. Not terribly uncommon with older cars. The brake fluid could need changing though.

ebang

Mar 30, 2007
Ontario
well I called around and could not find a place rebilud where I live...believe it or not. I did manage to drill out the broken bleeder plugs and tap back to the correct size just waiting to get the plugs now fromToyota