Brake Booster Rebuild?

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
So, my brake booster has started to leak. It's not bad, but I don't like it. I see that Toyota sells a rebuild kit. Has anyone rebuilt their booster? The TSRM doesn't say anything about it. It does look a bit like the booster is crimped shut.

The booster is like $700 new from Toyota. Wow. The rebuilt kit is like $180. I'm willing to spend that to get a like-new booster. Sure, there are several used ones for sale on the forums, which I'll consider if this doesn't look like a good option.

Asterix

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, the brake booster really is that expensive...

The online TSRM is from a later year and is lacking in some areas (good example is that it don't show the rebuiling of the A/C compressor) that the older ones do. Someone like jetjock that has an older TSRM might have such info...

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Update: it's $687.11 and there are no new ones in the US.

The TSRM for my '88 doesn't have the rebuild procedure either for the booster, but it does show the A/C compressor.

I went with a used one from another member... Once I looked into what's inside, I'm not suprised. Valves, springs, diaphragms, more springs, etc. Fortunately, I found the procedure for adjusting it without the SST. It even looks like it's from Toyota, since I recognize the SST drawing...

Asterix

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I saved one from a halfcut I bought many years ago and it turned out to be a new replacement one :D

Mine was leaking at idle and this affected the idle quality as it changed the AFR enough to be noticable.

Didn't have any effect on braking though.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Mine leaks not a lot, but doesn't take long to lose its vacuum. It does still provide "power" brakes. The hoses from the manifold are hard and brittle, which is only part of the problem. It's time to fix this, mostly because it's annoying me and I don't like to skimp on brake system maintenance.

Asterix

ps the booster rebuild kit is about $180, but it's another order from Japan... Rockauto.com has rebuilt units from Cardone for not much more.

Last edited: