Brake bleeder screw stuck in the piston

legionarius

Oct 29, 2006
houston
So my friend was trying to bleed my breaks, and he breaks the damn thing apart as hes trying to get it off. blames it on my old car that its probably rusty and difficult to take out, never really ever had a problem when i got my brakes done at a shop.

anyways, im stuck here with a broken bleeder screw in my pistol, what solutions do i have?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Soak it in PB Blaster being careful to NOT get any on the pads/disc then try a small easy out type extractor.

(Piston maybe? still not correct though the word you're looking for is "Calliper")

sweaver

Oct 13, 2010
ny
i had to peal one out peice by peice. try not to damage the treads on the caliper.

legionarius

Oct 29, 2006
houston
What's pb blaster? can i get that at oreilly's? what is its function? lubricates it? also is this common? fuck i'll try to get it out, have a feeling i'll just have to buy another one, not letting my friend touch my brakes every again, im so pissed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
legionarius;1652719 said:
What's pb blaster? can i get that at oreilly's? what is its function? lubricates it? also is this common? fuck i'll try to get it out, have a feeling i'll just have to buy another one, not letting my friend touch my brakes every again, im so pissed.

PB Blaster - A powerful penetrating catalyst designed to free up and break loose rusty nuts and bolts. It also lubricates and halts rust and corrosion. Formulated as a penetrant, not just a Water Dispersant.

The world famous PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst is more than just great. PB quickly brakes loose surface tension rust and corrosion by creeping up, around and in to hard-to-reach cavities. It's ideal for brake, exhaust and suspension system jobs. Plus, lubricating film remains on parts to help prevent further rusting.

Should be able to get it just about anywhere, I.E. Walmart

Not your Bud's fault shit happens, I coat most parts like that with Nickle antiseize on assembly to prevent this sort of thing happening.

legionarius

Oct 29, 2006
houston
I don't think this will help me out much since he stripped the screw, now the tip is perfectly round.....unless i can sand the edges square and use a vice grip

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
legionarius;1652724 said:
I don't think this will help me out much since he stripped the screw, now the tip is perfectly round.....unless i can sand the edges square and use a vice grip

Why do I bother..... :nono:

You asked a question I gave you a course of action based on 30+ years of automotive experience and now you're discounting it out of hand without even trying....

legionarius

Oct 29, 2006
houston
Hey I'm a n00b, no issue admitting it......my apoligies......i was just saying it'll be difficult with the round head and all, thanks for the info though.

legionarius

Oct 29, 2006
houston
Lol just got back from walmart with the pb blaster.......never heard of easy out, guess i'll google that.....i plan on drenching this thing for 24 hours, it has to come out, im broke and low on funds.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
legionarius;1652748 said:
Lol just got back from walmart with the pb blaster.......never heard of easy out, guess i'll google that.....i plan on drenching this thing for 24 hours, it has to come out, im broke and low on funds.

962221_lg.jpg

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
You own a car, and have never heard of these things? and saying your bleeder was stuck in the piston...? im guessing "your buddy" was you and you shouldnt touch cars. lol sry im sure others were thinking it.

This happened to me with the first one i tried, i immediately stopped and sprayed everything down and was careful not to just put all my might into the next ones.
But yes as stated before vise grips with crush it, if there is even enough there to grab, get a small(smaller than bleeder screw)drill bit, and drill it out then get an easy out that will fit in that hole. Doing all this after letting it soak, which you said you will be doing anyway. Good luck

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
IJ.;1652729 said:
Why do I bother..... :nono:

Because hopefully there are enough of us that listen to your sound advise to make it worth your time... I am sure you have a lot of other things you could be doing other than answering questions on here, the time you invest is appreciated by MANY of us!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Do we have a facepalm icon here?

There is good information in this thread that is not being used.

1) PB Blaster works well
2) If the bleeder is still intact, use vice grips. If you're careful with them you won't break the bleeder off.
3) Listen to IJ.
4) Although I try as hard as I can not to, sometimes a LITTLE heat helps loosen the bleeder. Don't torch your caliper, though, as that could boil the brake fluid and ruin the seals, etc... Just a little bit as an absolute last resort. Make sure to bleed very well if you heat it just to be safe.
5) Easy outs and bolt extractors also work very well.

For what it's worth, I can't recall ever snapping a bleeder off, and I live in the NE where road salt murders cars and the like.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Bleeder torque is 76in-lbs. In other words not really tight at all. Was prolly way over tightened to begin with and being 20 years old with who noes how many hands are on it, it could have happened to anyone.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
shaeff;1653136 said:
Do we have a facepalm icon here?

There is good information in this thread that is not being used.

1) PB Blaster works well
2) If the bleeder is still intact, use vice grips. If you're careful with them you won't break the bleeder off.
3) Listen to IJ.
4) Although I try as hard as I can not to, sometimes a LITTLE heat helps loosen the bleeder. Don't torch your caliper, though, as that could boil the brake fluid and ruin the seals, etc... Just a little bit as an absolute last resort. Make sure to bleed very well if you heat it just to be safe.
5) Easy outs and bolt extractors also work very well.

For what it's worth, I can't recall ever snapping a bleeder off, and I live in the NE where road salt murders cars and the like.

3) DON'T listen to that guy he's a Hack! ;)