BOV what's the point

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well i guess you are all thinking on what crack i have bena smokeing but really

is there need for a bov for now adays turbo's with antiy surge or just plane big shaft turbos

now to get to the point you must be saying

well alot of oem cars that are turbo come with no bov at all why is this and why is most rally teams have no bov

now i must say this can not be done on all turbos

from what oi ahve bena reading and thinking is only really classed to ball bareing trubo or chould jurale baring do the same job

one being shaft thou a bareing ther other a shaft thur a race covered in oil
one must think about the shaft defleting and cause the race to be wiped

but why is it that a nissan ca18dte cause wiht jurnale bareing trubo and no bov

all so know some one that run gt30 franko trubo with no bov for about 2 yeasr in the rally events and has yet to repace the trubo or have any issues with it

now why am i going on about this well

THOTTLE RESPONES

and funky squril in blender sound lol

ps i have yet to find many peoepl pushing really big ass trubo with no bov's

but i if i am on the right track you chould run anty surge houseing at high psi wiht big shaft turbo

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
NashMan;980827 said:
well i guess you are all thinking what crack have i been smoking but really

is there need for a bov for now a days turbo's with anti surge or just plane big shaft turbos

now to get to the point you must be saying

well alot of oem cars that are turbo come with no bov at all. Why is this, and why is it most rally teams dont have a bov

now i must say this can not be done on all turbos

from what i havee been reading and thinking is only really classed to ball bearing turbo's or could journal bearings do the same job

one being shaft through a bearing the other a shaft through a race covered in oil

one must think about the shaft defleting and cause the race to be wiped

but why is it that a nissan ca18dte cause with journal bearing turbo and no bov

all so know some one that run gt30 franko turbo with no bov for about 2 years in the rally events and has yet to replace the trubo or have any issues with it

now why am i going on about this well

THROTTLE RESPONSE

and funky squril in blender sound lol

ps i have yet to find many peOPLE pushing really big ass trubo with no bov's

but i if i am on the right track you could run ant-surge housing at high psi with a big shaft turbo

Hope this helps :)

RavenMaster

SupraMan
Mar 4, 2008
Santa Barbara
www.torrentgeeks.com
adicken1;980832 said:
I think we need a spell check function...
Yup but I get what hes sying, Blow off valves are safety, as far as your objection to why rally teams mostly dont have bov's, its probably because they hardly take their foot off the accelerator, so there is no extra buildup of back presure thats needs to be released.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
there was a guy at my school. he turboed his v8 chevy truck. one day hes drivin/racin or whatever... but hes boostin it, and he BLOWS APART his throttle body... why you ask? because he didnt have a BOV to release the pressure before the throttle body...

i plan on using one if not TWO BOV's to insure my turbo doesnt surge what so ever.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yes there is that reson that i forgot to metion about thottle plate bending but it pretty hard to bend thottle plate in less it is cheep plate

plus still not ceton on how much a thottle plate cna take i knwo they cna not take no2 exspotion

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
robbo185;980848 said:
If you weren't a total newbie you would know why that is totally uncalled for.

+1. Read his sig for a solid 10 seconds and you'll realize why that was a really stupid statement.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Nashman, I've wondered the exact same thing since owning my Buick T-type. Those cars nor the GN's have a BOV or any kind, or bypass valve from the factory. Really the only cars I regularly saw them on in that community was race cars, or like you mentioned cars with pretty big turbo's both size and $$$$ wise. Well, you also had the guys that like the way they sounded too. Now, those cars are just as old as MA70's, so the technology is defintely dated, as far as the factory turbos go, but with aftermarket turbos that goes out the window.

However those cars are ALL automatics, with few exceptions of owners switching to manuals. That has to play a big part in it. With my old personal setup I ran 17 psi daily boosting it quite a bit with a PT-51 (Specs from Precision below) turbo, and no BOV. Also the turbo had no kind of anti-surge housing, was journal bearing and AFAIK had a regular sized shaft. I never had any issues with it, and I owned the car almost a year...bad luck and a stupid rookie mistake led me to have to sell it, but every time I inspected the turbo there was ZERO shaft play.

PT51 turbo specs from Precision,
Wheel dia:44
Inducer:2.290"
Exducer:2.950"
Trim:60
Inlet/Outlet Size:3"/2"
Bearing:360
A/R ratio:0
Wheel Style:T350
Turbine Inducer:2.795"
Turbine Exducer:2.338"
Trim:70

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The 3 stooges sound is the Compressor section cavitating and slowing/speeding up....

With a good fast acting BoV this is minimised so the Turbo speed doesn't have any big variations on shifts and you maintain boost without big Dips and Peaks and this makes for smoother more consistant power delivery.

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I did not run with a bov in my rb20det in my 240. I did notice performance gain though when I did use it. I had an ARC boc. I had much better response after using it.

Just personal experience.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I can see how automatic cars can get away with this for a time, but manuals?? Nah, the turbo will go sooner or later, and it would be later if a fast reacting, well flowing BOV is incorporated into the setup :).

adicken1

The Man!
Jan 17, 2008
Memphis
robbo185;980848 said:
If you weren't a total newbie you would know why that is totally uncalled for.

I actually didn't mean it in as an insult, I was being serious. Be it due to lack of attention or a condition, a spell check function would help.

To be honest, I didn't make it to the signature - I lost interest while trying to decipher the post.

If what I said offended you Nash, then I apologize.

For the rest of you, if it weren't for the other 70 percent of users here who post with no regards for their grammatical accuracy, I would most likely have more patience and understanding - newbie or not.

LOL. And my name is also Andrew.

- Andrew

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
adicken1;981320 said:
I actually didn't mean it in as an insult, I was being serious. Be it due to lack of attention or a condition, a spell check function would help.

To be honest, I didn't make it to the signature - I lost interest while trying to decipher the post.

If what I said offended you Nash, then I apologize.

For the rest of you, if it weren't for the other 70 percent of users here who post with no regards for their grammatical accuracy, I would most likely have more patience and understanding - newbie or not.

LOL. And my name is also Andrew.

- Andrew

I'm not sure if he spell check's his posts or not, but it doesen't fix every single word he types. If you have a problem with reading the post, don't post your feelings about it. it only brings negative attention to you.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well for fun since i am bord most of the time i thought i do littel fun times testing

i block my bov and pop the vac off

what i noticed was

boost is ketped between shifts giving massive gain in thottle respones even my frined noticed

teh bov i run is the blitz dual drive with the low boost port blocked is this concernt most likely not

now after reading and done alot of research i debating on ditching ti all togther atfer i talk to some peoepl i knwo that are very smart whe it comes to trubos

maby i all even call garret aka honey well iknow a person there and i will ask him if the old t seires trubos can take this i know the new gt's can anty surge or not thus why most you buy are not even drilled

but i going to do more resurech

if you wana try it at home tri it there is diff between teh 2 far as i can see