BOV flutter

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
I've got a odd problem where my Greddy RS BOV will flutter at any boost level.....5psi, 12psi doesn't matter. Now I can crack the throttle and stick my hand over the valve and there is a decent discharge of air although it still pulses.

This valve worked fine last summer all the way up until the time a garaged it for winter, and some new mods. This I all what I have changed since putting it awayfor the winter: 60-1 CT, ported the exhaust mani, replaced my old AFPR with a Aeromotive one, had my harness out of the car to continuity check the entire harness, new gaskets, new injector seals, 4" catback, turbo inlet pipe and a few other small things.

Now trying to fix this problem I changed the size of my vacuum line, My vacuum line is also directly off my FFIM. I also took the BOV apart and checked everything out and its great.

The only thing I can think of now is that I need to run a 2nd BOV to keep up with this turbo? Any help would be great.

thanks

Last edited:

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
you dont need another BOV

i had a similar problem with my BOV a while back. i have an HKS SSQV on a 2j with a 70 mill boosting 16 PSI. turns out i just needed a better hose. i much stiffer one. the samco hose that i was using was getting pinched when under vacuum. i got one that is specifically for fuel lines and it was fine afterwards.

ed.d.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I believe it's compressor surge....very very typical of 60-1ct....which is why they fail so fast! Good luck but that surge isn't gonna go away till you blow the turbo.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
sorry, forgot to mention, Ive already changed the hose to a thick walled 1/4" and no difference.

Ive also played with the tension and it really hasn't helped much but I'll try giving it a few more turns, oh, and I thought that tightening the screw would make it worse? or do I have this backwards?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if im correct the adjustment is for how much boost your running. 5 psi would be loose and 15 would be tight. correct me if im wrong. isnt that why hks stopped making there bov's with the adj screw cause people were tightening them too much and blowing turbos?

the type-rs flutters and the type-s does not.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
WhtMa71;1246040 said:
What vacuum source are you using?
Right off the FFIM

EDIT: As I stated before this worked perfectly fine all last summer with the way I have it installed it just started doing this as of my new setup, I have played with the spring although I about to try what rennat said and tighten it a bit more.

gaboonviper85;1245745 said:
I believe it's compressor surge....very very typical of 60-1ct....which is why they fail so fast! Good luck but that surge isn't gonna go away till you blow the turbo.
A response like that is not necessary.

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
define play? cause i would take it to the extreme and thread it mostly out so its nice and loose, see if you have issues, and then tightnen it until it either goes away, or is livable..

but it flutters under all boost conditions? not just part throtle? or just full throttle?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Rennat;1246087 said:
define play? cause i would take it to the extreme and thread it mostly out so its nice and loose, see if you have issues, and then tightnen it until it either goes away, or is livable..

but it flutters under all boost conditions? not just part throtle? or just full throttle?
correct, all boost conditions, when I say I've played with the screw I have had it so loose that it could fall out all the way to about 3 threads till its all the way in. I have changed my line from the manifold to the bov and ive changed the vac location on the manifold still no difference.