BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks all the for the compliments and encouragements.

Still so much work to do! Had some set backs lately, but getting the car sorted out bit by bit.

Took the car out for a drive today, and nothing went wrong! This must be what the Twilight Zone is like....

66j6a0.jpg

5be1wo.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Crap video I know, but just out having some fun. Car isn't too loud which I like.

[video=youtube_share;7d7tx-aO1Cc]http://youtu.be/7d7tx-aO1Cc[/video]

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Small update today, cleaning up the engine bay

Sourced a factory PCV metal pipe so I could route the hoses properly. Doing so cleaned up the engine bay quite a bit.

Also, installed a Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I've had this thing sitting in my parts bin since when I had my S14 turbo. Bought the part, never used it. Hope it's still good.

Additionally, I used an aluminum drinks bottle as a coolant over flow tank, so I no longer have that ugly hose going to the windshield washer tank.

2z4wetd.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Onwards with the fuel upgrades. Today, the pump.

The little Bosch pump I got off eBay for $40 isn't enough for the new turbo engine.

So I ponied up for a Bosch 044 and threw it in a few weeks back. Super loud! Plus, the fuel pressure shot up to 50psi as the pump totally overwhelmed the stock fuel pressure regulator. So the little Bosch went back in the for time being while I worked out a plan.

I figured an OEM style pump would be ideal for keeping the noise down, so I searched for cars with big engines that use inline fuel pumps. Turns out 993 Porsche 911 Turbos use an inline pump. I reckon the pump used in a 400+ horsepower turbo Porsche ought to be enough for my modest 7M-GTE. So I got an OEM replacement for $70 shipped.

The Porsche OEM replacement next to the Bosch 044. Bosch on the right

6hpy5v.jpg

2aim33t.jpg

Bosch on the left, with the larger inlet and screen filter.

r9026h.jpg

Next to the old pump I removed!

2h6ha86.jpg

I got the wrong fittings for the fuel rail, so the install is delayed for a bit

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Fuel pump upgrade done! Got the fittings, plumbed in the Nismo adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and set the pressure to 38psi.

The pump is LOUD

Going to have to do something about that.

Also done is the intercooler upgrade! The tiny, Mazdaspeed MX-5 factory intercooler is out and replaced by something much better. I painted the end tanks black, then just gave a light dusting to the bar and fins. Looks dark, but it's just a light coat on the front to hide the intercooler. With the grill back on, the intercooler disappears.

v4t6qu.jpg

264tmqv.jpg

With both these upgrades, the car really moves! Revs smooth, feels powerful. Super fun

Also, I moved where the BOV gets its vacuum source from the intercooler pipes to the intake manifold. That made a huge difference, as the BOV no longer flutters at all and sounds better. I'll try to get a video up soon

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Loud fuel pump solved!

I had bought a roll of sound deadening off Amazon a few weeks ago. Had intended to use it in the front, but that changed real quick after hearing the fuel pump.

Step one, clean

20qxukl.jpg

Step two, apply. I borrowed my wife's hairdryer to heat the metal and insulating material. Makes a huge difference in how it molds and adheres

mmc4k2.jpg

Any leftover scraps I placed wherever

kb61qq.jpg

After all this was done, I took the pump out and put rubber bushings between the mount and the chassis. Now the pump is only a bit louder than the old small one.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Not much to update lately, mostly just enjoying driving around when I can.

The car has been running really well, and feels fast.

Just yesterday though, the idle suddenly stuck at 1500rpm. I tapped on the Idle Speed Control Valve and the idle settled down to 950rpm, so that's likely the problem.

Major problem though, transmission is really loud. 5th gear sounds like it's going to fail any time. 3rd gear loud too, but mostly only when hot. Figure I'll just replace it.

In the mean time, I finally got tires! Found a set of white walls for super cheap. Haven't even cleaned them up yet, and I am really happy with the look.

21epb8g.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks! I cleaned the wheels and tires today, much improved.

Small update today, I found a permanent home for the check engine light. Previously I had it tucked next to the aftermarket gauges, and it was blue.

sqh3le.jpg

The unused pull-switch ports are the obvious spot, and the 1/2" light I bought couldn't fit better.

Installed

6zsnk3.jpg

2ufgepi.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Not a lot going on lately. Put some shorter springs from an older Corona in the front, along with shocks from a 1968 Chevelle SS. Lower, but not dumped. Looks much better without the ridiculous wheel gap I had before

vzy07s.jpg

2lo6fmg.jpg

Just had a nice Borla muffler installed, plus new tips for a little bit of flair. The new muffler isn't much louder than the old Magnaflow, but sounds much better

[video=youtube;LsLO0dnL_BE]https://youtu.be/LsLO0dnL_BE[/video]

Last edited:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
I bid super low on this and forgot about it, not really thinking I would win. No one else bid, so I did. "EVC" isn't all that descriptive to me, so I put some stickers on to remind me of the function of this device. Mounted in the glove box.

16k9dns.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
The car has been giving me lots of problems, all electrical I think. Given how crappy all the temporary wiring I did in the beginning just to get the car going was, I'm not surprised.

The two serious issues: code 52 (knock sensor) and severe hesitation under acceleration once the engine was warm.

When the hesitation occurred, I often also got code 11 (ECU power interruption)

This prompted me to finally get around to fixing all shoddy wiring I had done.

I started by fixing the brittle and cracked Camshaft Position Sensor wires by soldering in new terminal wires

2qapr1u.jpg

Then I started on the big rat's nest by the alternator where I had several in-line fuse holders wired in with crimp barrels and the battery circuit ties in. You can see how messy it all was.

514z75.jpg

Soldering big power wires together neatly is easy if you know a trick. Start by pushing the two wires together, inter-weaving the strands.

20zqptz.jpg

Then use a few strands from another wire

345ct43.jpg

And wrap the connection

21kcqdd.jpg

Before connection and soldering, don't forget the heat shrink

2qtxq8w.jpg

Work in progress, using a nice fuse holder

90sfn8.jpg

I had previously used a drink bottle as a coolant over-flow, hoping it would look cool and rat-rod like. What it ended up looking like was that I had used a drink bottle as a coolant over-flow. Crap.

15nskf7.jpg

Wiring coming together, ignitor moved and less conspicuous, fuel injector resistor moved and almost hidden. Also used the OEM diagnostic port mount and attached it to the intake manifold. Looks almost like it could be factory

whh8ig.jpg

296j9lc.jpg

Other side of the engine was a mess too, with a big wad of tape and unused wires on the OEM harness. I bought a few feet of that old-fashioned asphalt-coated fabric loom and cut out unused wires and re-wrapped everything for (what I think) is a cleaner look.

bhjckx.jpg

New coolant overflow tank, actually for a MKIII Supra

sfgmts.jpg

And the overall look, contrasted to how the engine bay looked when the car first ran

214xrt0.jpg

2cz8s4o.jpg

Still lots of work to do, but the I'm making progress bit-by-bit.

Test driving, I think the engine hesitation is gone but got code 52 again. I'll figure it out eventually….