body side trim

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
The trim piece on my passenger door keeps falling off. The plastic snaps on it are all destroyed. The majority of the holes in the door have been enlarged to were snaps will never fit again, omitting the option of buying new trimming. I have tried several different methods; double side tape, loctite, other glues, and currently duct tape :nono:. is there a fairly cheap/ easy way to get it to stay?

BudweiserJason8

Jun 21, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I am currently in the same predicament, when i purchased my car there was liquid nail, spray foam, silicone caulking, double sided tape and silicone gasket maker all under some of the moldings and a mud flap. Have you tried weatherstrip adhesive or Right Stuff gasket maker? I was thinking of using one of those if i ever get around to putting my moldings back on. The medal under my moldings completely rusted out so i used some silicone acrylic latex calk to fill in where the medal was

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
When I had a glass company come out and install a hatch glass for me I asked him if he could put some of that sealer on the back of my passenger side molding. I don't think I could pry it off now even if I tried. It's that black stuff they adhere and seal windshields with. He said you can buy tubes of it from windshield companies.

cartert

Dec 18, 2006
louisville
I use that heavy duty sticky velcro stuff to hold on the panels of our jaccuzi, and it falls off every 3 months or so and has to be replaced. So im doubtful it will hold trimming going down the road at 80 mph. I used a silicone glue and it worked great until August heat came and melted the glue. I am not fond of permanently glueing parts on my car but it might be my only option, oh well. thanks for the help.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Go to a body shop supply store and ask THEM what they would recommend for adhesive if you don't want to deal with the holes. If you want to fix it the proper way, buy the trim clips and rubber grommets from toyota and get some urethane adhesive to re-affix the adhesive strip beneath the molding.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
TuRbOdReAmZ87;934566 said:
Elmers Glue. Works every time. :sarcasm:

somebody will read that, try it, post, and I will laugh.

theKnifeArtist;934443 said:
haha, i got woodscrews in some of mine. 'twas my dad's brilliant idea.

What!? you mean wood screws going through the metal into something on the other side, right? not just digging into the metal as if IT was the wood?

Screwing into your door's sheetmetal is a horrible idea.

I think the window-sealant is a great idea... maybe use some double-sided sticky, and then seal above AND below AND on each end of every trim section where you can fit it. or put a bead down as your apply the trim so it seals the double-sided sticky tape from moisture and works as adhesion as well.

just agreeing with an idea...i dont KNOW how well it would work.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
i had to swap over to facelift trims on mine as the originals had all rotted away. they were held on with all kinds

rivets
black glue stuff
trim tape

all sorts lol

all nicely fitted now bar the passenger side door which needs the correct bolt ordering up from someone breaking a facelift car