Blown HG!

remeniz

Sep 23, 2006
England
:aigo:

Have I blown the HG? I'm loosing coolant (somewhere, but there's no water leakage visable) and the cooling system is boiling even though the temp. guage is no way near the red! (I know this cause of the bubbling noise I hear when I park up sometimes and when I take out the hose in the expansiontank out it's producing steam! Great for an expresso) If it is then i'll replace the HG myself but need to know if I should go for a MHG or the standard HG.

Also 1st to 2nd and to get it into reverse is a nightmare! It's a manual and the 1st to 2nd gear change is slowing down my 0-60MPH times and most times when I shift it into reverse I get a grinding noise.

:1zhelp:

Last edited:

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
do as they say.

and also check your radiator. you just might have a leaky radiator like i had. i didn't see any leaks or fluids on the ground but when i changed my HG and radiator, i noticed my old one was leaking. so it could just be leaky radiator. inspect that thing.

for the trany thing, try changing your fluid.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Check for coolant or water in the oil either on your dipstick or take your oil cap off and see if you seen any signs of water...............good luck.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Here's what I would do...cause I've been there ;).

1. Since you said you are losing coolant, pressure test the system. (There may be a leak you cannot see, as it was in my case) When the cooling system is pumped up to 21psi, even TINY leaks are obvious.
2. While your doing this, you can use the same tester to pressure test the rad. cap...it should hold 13psi. (My new Toyota cap would only hold 10psi, and I had the same symptoms as you).
3. Do those two things, and you will lkely find your problem, it can also determine if your hg is blown...just leave the system under 21psi of pressure for about 5 mins or so, and check to see if any pressure was lost, it should stay exactly the same, if pressure was lost, then check for leaks, if there aren't any external leaks, then your head gasket is blown, or block/head is cracked.

remeniz

Sep 23, 2006
England
Wow!:icon_bigg

Thanks peeps for the help. Theres some great info here.

Ok. I know the cooling system is working under pressure. (I start the car, undo the rad cap but hold it down. When I release the pressure on the rad cap the water shoots out nicely.)
And i've left the car for about 10 minutes, released the rad cap thinking the pressure had reduced and the whole lot shot out the rad hitting the bonnet!!

The coolant turns green after a while as well so I guess it's mixing with the oil.

So i'm gonna do the HG in a weeks time.

remeniz

Sep 23, 2006
England
JENNY! said:
its because your tanny is buff :] and might need fluid, and rebuild :] R is a bitch to egt into in my car as well, i get a big CLAUNK sound :]

Ok:icon_razz

It's refering to the problem I have with my gearbox.

Loosly translated it reads...Its because you gearbox is the best :icon_bigg & might need transmission oil, and a rebuild :icon_bigg . Reverse is a bitch to select in my car as well, I get a big CLANK sound :icon_bigg .

Hows that JENNY?

It's another thing I will look at

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
JustAnotherVictim said:
Reverse sucks because of the synchro's to my knowledge.

Yes this is true. The synchro's in our trannies arn't great. The one thing that i do that always works is before ya go into reverse, shift into third, then reverse. Works liek a charm!