Blow off valve mounting location

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 1JZ. I'm not actually rebuilding it myself, I can only do the easy bits like the intake piping and intercooler installation. But anyways, I'm doing the driftmotion single turbo kit and their "1JZ intercooler" kit.

I have an HKS SSQV III BOV and the appropriated mounting pipe. I suppose the whole idea is to keep the intercooler pressurized to reduce turbo lag and increase throttle response. But which side of the intercooler would do just that? The hot side or cold side? I'm currently attempting to run some physics models in my head, but to no avail.

On one side, it seems to be the popular belief that the cold side, near the intake is the best place to put it. But on the other, Toyota's overachieving engineers decided to put it near the turbos. So who to believe?

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
i got mine on the turbo side. I really don't think it matters as long as it has a good vacuum source. Hell, subaru mounts there's on the intercooler.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Cold side close to the TB is the accepted "norm", think about what you're trying to do with the valve.

If it vents on the hot side you're reversing the flow of the full capacity of the IC, get back on the throttle and it has to change direction again to head back to the TB.

Vent on the cold side close to the TB and it's all still going >>>>>.