block pitting

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
Hey guys,

I recently bought a JDM engine from jdmenginedepot.com, I took the head off looking to replace the headgasket, and found pitting on the #6 cylinder.
From the looks of the head, it seems that #6 was blown.

I searched, but only found the subject come up with MHGs, can I get away with an OEM headgakset? I will only be running stock horsepower.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thanks

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
Ahhh, that's not what I wanted to hear! :p

I have another block and head I'm currently rebuilding, this engine is just to get the car running for now. do you think the HG would last that long? (if even 5 minutes....)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
How much would it cost you to get the block decked?
Nothing fancy...just good enough for a OEM HG.

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
Meh, I'm kinda pressed for time, and don't want to disassemble the bottom end.

I think I'll go the copper spray route and hope for the best.

would lapping the block be advisable?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i say if its just a temporary motor go for it. put it to the test. stock hg are made to conform to impurities in the head and block. not to say you head and block look perfect, but it should last long enough until you get your motor done. i would think. that is as long as there not too warped. it is in just about the worst spot between the water jacket and cylinder though. still would like to see how long it last.

don't lap it. you'll just make a mess.

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
sorry to bring this back from the depths of the forum underworld, but, just wanted to let you guys know that I fired it up last wednesday and the HG held.

We'll see how she holds in the future!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
nice man. don't forget to retorque at about 500-1000miles or both to be on the safe side. as long as you did everything right, like torque bolts down in like 4-5 passes in the right sequence it should hold for a long time. good job man. :bigthumb:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Hope im not thread jacking but i noticed this thead and noticed my block at the same time. I dont think the "pitting" on my block is as bad but i wanted to know if a machine shop can fix this and if its worth saving.

Back of the block #6

p1161391_1.jpg

p1161391_2.jpg

p1161391_3.jpg

and a little extra it looks like on the side its chipped a tad bit

p1161391_4.jpg

p1161391_5.jpg

I am sort of a perfectianist but since this motor will be rebuilt to push 550hp i dont want any problems along the way. Mechanically speaking.

*Edit*
I just put my old oem gasket on the block the chip in the last pic is not even in the sealing area so im just worried about the water passages #6 and the others listed in the paragraph above. I want my mhg to seal no problems.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

Last edited: