Bleed vs Gated boost controller

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
IJ.;1393576 said:
Buy an EBC :)
Ian really is right, of course. The EBC is better for a number of reasons, the big one being the fact that it's far better at keeping your boost in the right place all the time.

Dr.Jones sells a ball and spring type for $25, last I checked. Check here: http://www.4cefed.com/forsale.html

Ball and spring setups open at a set pressure, while bleeders simply reduce a pressure by a percentage. In the first case, anything over the set pressure will open the wastegate completely. In the second case, there is a deliberate boost leak induced in the line, so your wastegate will react slower. How much slower is dependant on how big the line is, and how big the leak is. Slow enough to cause extra lag and boost spikes? Awfully likely, in my experience.

Furthermore, adding a deliberate boost leak to a system that measures air as it enters the intake is a bad idea and makes for less than perfect computer controls. If our cars were MAP based, this would have little to no effect, of course.

hockysa

GrimJack;1393901 said:
Ian really is right, of course. The EBC is better for a number of reasons, the big one being the fact that it's far better at keeping your boost in the right place all the time.

Dr.Jones sells a ball and spring type for $25, last I checked. Check here: http://www.4cefed.com/forsale.html

Ball and spring setups open at a set pressure, while bleeders simply reduce a pressure by a percentage. In the first case, anything over the set pressure will open the wastegate completely. In the second case, there is a deliberate boost leak induced in the line, so your wastegate will react slower. How much slower is dependant on how big the line is, and how big the leak is. Slow enough to cause extra lag and boost spikes? Awfully likely, in my experience.

Furthermore, adding a deliberate boost leak to a system that measures air as it enters the intake is a bad idea and makes for less than perfect computer controls. If our cars were MAP based, this would have little to no effect, of course.

I see.

thanks for that.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack;1393901 said:

Add to that an EBC usually hits a bit harder as you don't get WG creep as the pressure comes up, most gates on a lightish stock spring will crack at 1>2 psi then gradually open at their full rated pressure the EBC keeps it closed until xx psi is reached then pops it open. :)

hockysa

IJ.;1394358 said:
Add to that an EBC usually hits a bit harder as you don't get WG creep as the pressure comes up, most gates on a lightish stock spring will crack at 1>2 psi then gradually open at their full rated pressure the EBC keeps it closed until xx psi is reached then pops it open. :)

so im assuming that even at stock boost an EBC would be able to help reduce lag slightly?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yes but as you get more power it becomes a double edged sword in that the improved boost lower in the range can break traction, the beauty of most EBC's is they allow you to tune that out if needs be based on Gear so you can have less boost in low gears then once moving you get your high boost setting.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
hockysa;1395962 said:
so im assuming that even at stock boost an EBC would be able to help reduce lag slightly?

What kind of turbo do you have? CT26? I've got my stock ct to spool at 1700 rpm, lag all depends on the load on the motor. If you want a faster spool then get a 57 trim.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
nick88;1395982 said:
What kind of turbo do you have? CT26? I've got my stock ct to spool at 1700 rpm, lag all depends on the load on the motor. If you want a faster spool then get a 57 trim.

Wouldn't a 57 trim spool slower because of the larger compressor wheel?