BIC Targa Bars, impressions.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, my BIC Targa bars arrived today, but it wasn't until evening that I was able to give them a good go. (It was raining earlier.)

Chassis flex:
On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is the targa off, windows down, and 10 is my hardtop (Targa roof bolted on is about a 9) I'd give these a solid 8.5. I can drive across the local bridge with the windows up without fear of the windows being broken by being battered against the A and B pillars. That's not bad at all. Some zipping through the twisties gives a nice solid, predictable feel, and the back half of the car feels like it's following what the front half the car is doing. Still a bit of squeaking from things when the road gets rough, but it does that with the top bolted on, too. As good as I expected.

Installation:
A bit awkward. You have to have the rear portion fairly tight before you can get the front to go in at all, and when it does, it's not as smooth as the roof is. I have a fear of cross-threading the nut since the bar can still twist a bit and doesn't seem to be guaranteed to be centered well. Takes a bit of patience, but probably will become better with practice. I could have hoped for a better captive bolt on the rear of bar, but it was as good as expected.

Driving impression:
It's not quite the same open feeling of driving with the top off, but it's good. The bar is lower than the roof, so it took a bit to get used to where it sits, but a nice drive on the highway in the moonlight did the trick.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I thought about getting targa bars but I want to get a shop to custom make an X bracket that bolts into the frame underneath the car. Now the ultimate thing would be a targa brace that you can leave on permanently and put the roof on top of it lol. Great review.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Doat;1959248 said:
I thought about getting targa bars but I want to get a shop to custom make an X bracket that bolts into the frame underneath the car. Now the ultimate thing would be a targa brace that you can leave on permanently and put the roof on top of it lol. Great review.

I think Toyota has a brace built into the car already. Bracing the roof is key.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
idk, i drive with the top off 80% of the time and chassis flex doesnt bother me much. not saying i dont want targa bars, i do...but its not a huge concern to me.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, my next experiment will be to revive the flex measurement rig that I used to see what good the front strut brace actually does (And discovered that it was useless, as there is no flex between the front strut pillars at anything that my tires could handle.)

My idea is to measure flex diagonally between the front right and rear left mount points. Assuming that the targa bars themselves don't flex under load, this would measure how much the chassis twists with the bars in place. I'd then do a similar run with the measurement rig in place, but the bars removed to get a baseline comparison. I believe that it's safe to assume that the hardtop chassis does not twist measureably between these points.

For just cruising around, the bars are more trouble to install than they're worth. If I'm just going somewhere, and want the roof off, it's enough trouble just to remove the roof and toss it in the trunk, then take it out and install it when I get where I'm going.

If I want to have some fun, and am going to be driving for a while, or leaving the car where I can see it, and don't mind leaving the roof off, then the bars are worth installing. Maybe if I want to have some fun, and do some more aggressive driving, it'd be worthwhile. This is what I got the bars for, and they do this job very well.

For really spirited driving, going to a track or road course... I'll just leave the roof on.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It's absolutely true.

I took the tower mounts, and bolted in a piece of bar aluminum to each side. I put a screw through one, so that it left a sharp point out the side, then used rubber bands to strap the two pieces of bar together. The idea being that if the strut towers were moving relative to each other, the screw would make a scratch in the other bar. I then took the car out to a deserted parking lot and abused my tires for a while. High G cornering, with and without braking, on the gas, understeer, oversteer. The scratch mark in the bar was barely 2mm in length, and I could get that by shaking the bars forward and back. No way a solid bar in there was going to help.

caveat: this was in my '89 hardtop, I have not repeated the experiment in the targa.

This is the rig that I want to try out diagonal across the targa bars though. I need to devise a decent way of mounting the aluminum so that it won't move and fall on my head or something while I'm driving. I expect to see SOME movement this time, and I expect to see a lot more when I repeat the experiment with the bars out.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Great reviews, I do feel great chassis flex with the targa off. Huge amount, especially going in and out of the drive way at slow speed or over speed pump/ crappy roads. Although I don't take off my targa as much as I used to before, some days are just too nice to drive w.o one. Can you post some pictures of the installed product?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
GrimJack;1959606 said:
Dan, it's easier to jack up a corner of the car, and measure how high you get before two tires leaves the ground.

While your method may be much more scientific, and therefore much more accurate... Who doesn't want to go to a deserted parking lot and jack around with a turbo targa supra?? I only wish I could find a deserted parking lot....

Lol I'd honestly rather see the results from Grimjack's test rather than randomly being thrown around in corners in a parking lot. :p

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Dan_Gyoba;1959707 said:
Fine. BE that way. :D

I'm always up for better experimental design... And I'm still going to go visit the Costco parking lot after about 9:00 PM on a Sunday.

I don't blame ya for that. I wish I could find a empty parking lot that wasn't right by a main road around here...

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA