Best Downpipe

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
But why? The company that makes the reciculated ones also make a normal DDP (I know, i have one on my car right now)

Personally because the seal is NOT as good as BIC's I'd go recir. if I was to buy one now. The noise is annoying at idle...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Have you tried a bigger gasket, or even two gaskets?

Boris, It would probably work if you know a good welder but I would definately try and find one that wasn't recirculated first because of the headache of fixing the whole. Good luck.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I have a TMS downpipe. And, it is the biggest piece of crap I ever bought. $350 brand new straight from TMS, turbo flange was BENT BAD!!! Fixed that, and can't get 2 of the nuts on because the piping is too damn big. Custom nuts anyone?

Hey TMS, Whatever happened to quality control? You hacks....

I'll be buying a BIC DP this summer.

davidlkirby

Sep 5, 2006
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I've been considering the BIC ddp un-recirculated for a long time now, I am sick of my stock turbo elbow.

Does the open ddp make much sound difference at idle? My 87 gets the annual emissions probe and passes with pretty good marks (low standards in my TN county). This is with the stock elbow and a home-rigged, home-bent 3inch downpipe from the previous owner.

Does anyone think just replacing the downpipe with an open ddp from Randy will cause my emissions to fail? (other than the risk of them seeing something fishy with a mirror)

Emissions test doesn't require anything else but a probe at idle, very quick mirror check for cat in standard place, which i have, and gas cap pressure test.

Thoughts?

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
it shouldn't because if you already don't have the stock dp you already removed the first cat which is only really for the cold start i believe

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
davidlkirby;953825 said:
I've been considering the BIC ddp un-recirculated for a long time now, I am sick of my stock turbo elbow.

Does the open ddp make much sound difference at idle? My 87 gets the annual emissions probe and passes with pretty good marks (low standards in my TN county). This is with the stock elbow and a home-rigged, home-bent 3inch downpipe from the previous owner.

Does anyone think just replacing the downpipe with an open ddp from Randy will cause my emissions to fail? (other than the risk of them seeing something fishy with a mirror)

Emissions test doesn't require anything else but a probe at idle, very quick mirror check for cat in standard place, which i have, and gas cap pressure test.

Thoughts?

Mine has the exhaust leak noise at idle, sounds crappy IMHO... Inspection wasn't a problem and it passed with the stock main cat...

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
I have a tanabe down pipe, I can't really compare to others since I had none but my brother had the HKS down pipe which had the flex pipe thingy for less rattling noise. Both seem fine to me.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Frank Rizzo;953759 said:
I have a TMS downpipe. And, it is the biggest piece of crap I ever bought. $350 brand new straight from TMS, turbo flange was BENT BAD!!! Fixed that, and can't get 2 of the nuts on because the piping is too damn big. Custom nuts anyone?

Hey TMS, Whatever happened to quality control? You hacks....

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
The downpipe from 935 has that flex section in it, and the BIC doesn't (as far as I can remember, his site is down atm.)
Whats the flex look like on the inside? Is its diameter flared out and larger than the surrounding pipe, possibly reducing gas speed, or is it just bulgy only on the outside?
Does the BIC have fitment/installation issues from a lack for flex?

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
RyDeFly;955492 said:
The downpipe from 935 has that flex section in it, and the BIC doesn't (as far as I can remember, his site is down atm.)
Whats the flex look like on the inside? Is its diameter flared out and larger than the surrounding pipe, possibly reducing gas speed, or is it just bulgy only on the outside?
Does the BIC have fitment/installation issues from a lack for flex?

the flex section bulges out, its wider then the piping

not sure what the inside looks like

Attachments

• DSCF0087.JPG
    DSCF0087.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 18

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have the RT downpipe. Racing style, to eliminate both cats. Nice bit of kit. Bolted up easy, and no hassles at all with mating up to the catback. I got that with the LIPP turbo elbow.

It has the flex section, build quality was good. All in all, I'm very happy with it. It is, however the only turbo dp that I've had other than stock, so I don't have the widest basis to compare.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I have a Lipp elbow and a HK$ DP. Far better than stock but the DP is way too low, like 2 inches lower than the rest of the exhaust.....I scrape on everything...:cry:

SupraRacer

Banned
Apr 10, 2005
St. Louis
Id say the BIC is more popular but not necessarily the best. The Random Tech Downpipe is the best fit and quality ive seen, that with a quality 3" elbow imho flows just as good if not better than the single peice dp's and the fit and finish is much better. Notice the flex section isnt the cheaper braided kind. Both 7m's that this Dp has been on has made great power for the mods, not saying its the entire reason but im very happy with this DP.

random-tech-dp116.jpg

p1010472324.jpg