Ben's 7M Lipp Boss Jr Build

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
This is my second attempt at a build thread, since I wasn't quite sure of my goals, and what I was going to use to get there in the first thread. Moderators, feel free to delete my first build thread.

I purchased my 89 Turbo in July of 08, and it was literally bone stock with 168k on the clock. This is my first turbo car, and it's not my daily driver, so I intended to have some fun and mod it to it's true potential (the wife still thinks I bought it for it's fuel efficiency....shhhh). The previous and single owner of this car kept it in great condition, but he did drive it in the winter, so there are some underbody rust issues. Those will get taken care of eventually. The rear end was making quite a bit of noise, so Keith on SF sold me a LSD pumpkin and I swapped the diff out. Keith and I are friends now, and he will be my mechanic for the upcoming engine swap.

So I went down the mod list, and installed an Apexi filter, Apexi turbo timer, HKS blowoff valve, ddp-r, and 3" HKS twin tip exhaust. This certainly livened things up. At this point I had a dilemma that many of us face, build the 7M or perform a JZ swap of sorts. I had a conversation with Aaron from DM about a 1JZ swap, and I would have bit on it if it didn't cost 2 fricken grand for round trip transport of the car to CA from WI. So I decided to go the 7M route. I had a few conversations with Pat at Legend of Aces, and the Package 2 rebuild sounded perfect for what I would like to accomplish.

That brings me to today. I want a my supra to be reliable, with the ability to push out 400-450 hp. Pat received the check, so he's underway with the rebuild, including 6M crank, Titan MHG, ARP studs, and machine work, amongst other things. I've had a few conversations with Jack at Suprasport, and decided on the Lipp Boss Jr 60-1 to get me to my power goals. Today I ordered the turbo with install kit, RC 550s with clips, oil filter relocation kit, B&M oil cooler, Spearco replica, ACT HD 6 puck clutch, and NGK plugs. Brad at Safro Toyota helped me order every single water hose under the hood, so those will all be new. I also have in the garage NGK wires, Cooleeze IC pipes, SS Lex AFM, and a Greddy Profec B2 waiting for the rebuilt engine.

Thanks to everyone here at SM for their input and advice. I've used the search button frequently, and have received good responses to my individual posts as well. Thanks as well to Pat, Jack, Brad and Aaron. And thanks to Keith, who responds to my texts on which parts to order, and who will be performing all of the hard labor to get my 89 Turbo performing to it's true potential.

I'll post pics of the goods and the rebuild as they arrive/happen.

Ben

Attachments

• supra6.jpg
    supra6.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 186
  • supra7.jpg
    supra7.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 410
  • supra1.jpg
    supra1.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 129
  • supra3.jpg
    supra3.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 128

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
This is the work and parts that are part of my Package 2 rebuild with LOA.

Clevite 77 Main Bearings
Clevite 77 Rod Bearings
ARP Main Stud Kit
ARP Rod Bolts
Polished Crank
Toyota Piston Rings
Brass Freeze Plug Kit
Fel Pro Gasket Set
ARP Head Stud Kit
Goodyear Timing Belt
Aftermarket Timing Belt Tensioner
Thermostat
High Flow Water pump
Titan Motorsports 1.4mm Metal Head Gasket
Block Cleaning (Baking Process)
Cylinder Honing
Line Bore Block
Block Resurfacing and Lapping
Crank Polishing
Line Bore Rods
Three Angle Valve Job
Cylinder Head Resurfacing and Lapping

I'm looking forward of seeing some pics of the rebuild Pat!

Ben

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I plan on setting the boost at 12psi until I decide which avenue to go down for tuning. I should have the rebuilt engine in the car by/around Thanksgiving. She'll probably end up sitting out most of the winter in the garage (the 4Runner get's winter duty). I don't want any moisture and salt speeding up the rust that is already there! So next spring I'll baby her through the break-in period, and sometime in the summer I'll cross the tuning bridge.

Ben

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
ben, do you know the specs on the boss Jr? their website says it's like a ct-26...but better...what is the exhaust side? how large is the center shaft?

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Tire Shredder;1156404 said:
ben, do you know the specs on the boss Jr? their website says it's like a ct-26...but better...what is the exhaust side? how large is the center shaft?

Hello, This is Greg from Lipp. I can help with the info that is being asked here. The Boss Jr. is a smaller version of the original Boss. It comes in at over 3 lb. lighter. I reduced the flow area to an AR of .58,this is not a scaled down flow path but a flow path that is made to spool the wheel of a Stage 3 or 4.
The shaft size is larger than the stock CT-26 and I am able to use the 50,54,57 compressor wheel on this shaft.
The 60-1 wheel is available only with the triple Ceramic ball bearings. The 60-1 is a very large imbalance wheel to run with a small shaft and the BB version has the same larger shaft size of the stage 4 turbo.
Greg

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Thanks for chiming in on that Greg. I can't wait until I receive everything! Plenty of pics will be posted, guaranteed! Ok, that's enough exclamation points...

Ben

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Pat is picking up the core this weekend, and will have pics for me throughout the process. I will be sure to post pictures as they become available. The anticipation is killing me!

Ben

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
hey ben go to king motorsports in new berlin great people ot work with although they specialize in hondas/acuras try them what ever you do please avoid beeyond engeneering(sp?) there assholes and think they are the shit...(example: their drag car was being built to hit import wars they decided to opt out of a MHG and decided to run 3 stock OEM hgs pancaked together) :3d_frown: but if oyu need any help ben PM me im in Milwaukee

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Are you recommending King for tuning? I'll check out their website. About your PM about the 7M crank vs the 6M, does it make a big difference in performance/reliability? If so, I may be interested. Let me know your thoughts, and we'll go from there. I appreciate the advice, and it's always nice to find a fellow MKIII addict in the SE Wisconsin area!

Ben

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
I PM'd you details on king and 7m crank. Like i said if oyu need any help shoot me a PM mk3's r basically my second nature and be ready for a shop to be opening in about a year or two Midwest Werks. me and another co-owner both have mk3s well i had lol. and he has if you need help and can't find somsone to do it let me know if i can't chances are my buddy can

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Awwwww Shizzle.....the UPS man starting bringing the goods today! Thanks to Jack at Suprasport for the ultrafast shipping! Today I received the clutch, the intercooler, plugs, oil cooler, and oil filter relo kit. I can't wait to get the new snail!

Ben

1000000428.JPG

Last edited:

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
The pictures will be up tomorrow of the engine before going to the machine shop. You will also be able to see them off the web site, under Projects, Ben.

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
aw sweet man, i can't wait for my ups dude to deliver the crapload o parts to my door. I'm at the point in my build were you just were.

this is gonna be a sweet build.

whats the measurements and specs on that shiny IC?