Beat to death heat thread

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
88 7mgte. Flushed coolant this past summer and added prestone and distilled water. Had gurgling in my heater core but got the air bubbles out. Its getting cold here in alaska and the supra is the daily driver. My hvac door works, my vaccum operated coolant block off actuator near the firewall works and is in the up posistion. I feel hot coolant going to the core and luke warm comming out. Heater isnt what it usef to be. Luke warm sucks! If i rev the engine up to about 3000 i get good heat. But at idle or slowing down it goes back to luke warm. My temp guage is where it always is in the middel. Replaced the blower resister awhile ago if that matters.(it doesnt) any ideas?

My resivoir bottle never changes in quantity either. Tho it is 20 degrees out. My heat use to be amazing in cold michiagn!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sounds suspiciously like a plugged heater core. Reasonably easy to verify... well, in temps higher than yours, it's pretty easy, anyway. Pull off both hoses, hook up garden hose, turn on, see how much comes out the other side. If it's not flowing freely, it's plugged.

You might be able to clear it out using this method as well.

Going to be a BITCH to do at 20F though.

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Hmm. Yah ill try this weekend to back flush the core if it ever gets above freezing. Any chance you would know what size the heater hoses are?

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
88t;1790970 said:
Hmm. Yah ill try this weekend to back flush the core if it ever gets above freezing. Any chance you would know what size the heater hoses are?

when i flushed mine i just used a plastic nipple that i found laying around and kinda got it snug inside each end and GENTLY flushed since i did not want to over pressurize anything.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hook up the turbo to a vent into the interior, blow the hot air into the car. Problem solved, nice and toasty temps under the control of your right foot. :)

I feel for ya though man, I've had 3 older Toyotas (Mk2, RA4x Celica, and TE72 Corolla), and none of them have had heat. Makes for fun driving here, given that average winter temps are usually anywhere from -30° to about 35°...

Let us know how flushing it goes!

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Both heater hoses should be hot. As was said, sure sounds like the core is partially blocked. A simple back-flush may restore your heat.

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Mixer door does actuate as i can hear it when i adjust the temperature. Im going to possible flush it today or sunday as i have duty tommorow. Quick question though, what are the sizes of the hoses as i dont want to spill coolant and water into my engine bay?

88t

HATE EM, BUT LOVE THEM
Oct 13, 2008
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Flushed core an it was clean with same output of water as was put in from the hose. Buttoned it back up, burped it and now i have heat!!!