Basic scope

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Never heard of it, but it looks pretty good for $90. I'd buy it. I paid $250 for my scope and it was used.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Back when I did this for a living, I used a Fluke 95 that the shop owned. I prefered it to the (then) limited ability of the Vetronix. JJ is very experienced and knowledgable about the items. PM him if he doesn't see the thread.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Jetjock,

I was planning as just using it as a diagnostic tool. Something i could keep in my box and use to quickly diagnose things like crank and cam sensors. Would you use it for basic stuff and have a better one for more advanced stuff?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The analog electronics and the ADCs are poor on these things. You will always be wondering if the crap you are seeing is the scope or the signal. Car electrical systems are noisy, and poor test equipment will frustrate you fast. That doesn't mean you have to go buy a $2000 U1610A from Agilent, but if you did you would never want to go back to something cheap.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@mcevans: My personal experience with basic cheap stuff is that once you have something better, you will use the better one. The cheap one won't get used again, until you do something stupid to the good one, at which point you'll remember why you don't use the cheap one, and get rid of it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
mecevans;1790712 said:
Jetjock,

I was planning as just using it as a diagnostic tool. Something i could keep in my box and use to quickly diagnose things like crank and cam sensors. Would you use it for basic stuff and have a better one for more advanced stuff?

I was trying to be kind. That thing is a POS. Better choices on ebay. Look at Hantek, Owon, or Atten. Or Google those brands. Made abroad but will do the job.

I think the lithium powered Hanteks are kinda nifty for the price but don't own one. My current DSO is a mid-level Tektronix used for more than car work. I'm not smart enough for Agilent gear. Too many bells and whistles :icon_razz

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
3p141592654;1790788 said:
Really? The U1610A just came out this month, its the 100/200 MHz version. The 20 or 40 MHz scopes may be what you are looking at, those are cheaper.
Ya, you're right... I was looking at the N1610A, not the U1610A. Dammit. The only scope I have access to weighs over 100lbs and requires 110AC plug in power. I've got more processing power in my wristwatch.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's cute, I'll give you that. Neat that it'll do secondary ignition and has cursors. If nothing else that demo shows why copper and single electrode precious metal plugs shouldn't be used on DIS. It's still a one channel toy though.