Bad 1st day at the track with the new bike :( (story + pics)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
So all winter I toiled on a new bike so that i could do some serious racing this year. Basically built it from a bare chassis, had a new motor professionally built for me, got some new leathers/helmet, the whole 9. So April 25th, I brought my new baby to the "Bikes in the Valley" event at Lebanon Valley Dragway to do some license passes and basically try to dial it in a little bit to get used to her as she is a much different beast that the other bikes i've ridden. So I unload her off the trailer at the track, get all my license paperwork squared away, and prep her for the lanes. Checked tire pressure, chain tension, strapped down the front end, set the 2 step. Leathers, check. Boots, check. Helmet, check. Gloves, check.

So I roll into the lanes. Butterflys start fluttering in my stomach. New bike, new track surface, who knows what can happen. For those unfamiliar with getting your NHRA license, basically it consists of 6 runs. 2 launches, 2 half-track passes, and 2 full passes quicker than 10.0. So the 1st pass, i know i'm just going to launch it and then roll down the track. Roll up to the water box, do my burnout and get in the beams and on the 2 step. 2 step is set way too low and the bike bogs hard. I started out with a little higher tire pressure and I figured the track was still "green" so I was soft on the 2 step and boy was i wrong. I go back to the pits and raise the 2 step a bunch, and get ready to go at it again. I let it cool for a few minutes and get back to the lanes. Burnout, launch much better, and start to feel good that the setup is gradually getting better. Go back to the pits, make another 2 step adjustment, and check tire pressure. Back to the lanes and this time I know I can run it to 1/2 track. Burnout, stage, 10.7 @ 78 mph letting off before the 660'. Heres a pic.

http://photosbyjim.smugmug.com/gallery/8013265_hfPvt#521236811_XtUkS

Ok, story is getting boring, I know. Here's where it gets "fun". Go back after a cooldown for another 1/2 track pass. Little did I know there would be no pass....

I get into the burnout box, start the burnout, smoke starts coming off the tire, moving her side to side to get the whole tire warm....BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP, and it slowly stalls out the motor. I knew it wasn't the sound of spark cutout, or a bad coil, etc. That sinking feeling came over me. You guys know what that feeling is when you hear a rod-a-knockin, or know you're pressurizing your coolant b/c a headgasket decided to throw in the towel. Loaded her back on the trailer got her home and started the teardown.

So without further adieu....some pics of the carnage of a brand new motor.

1st thing 1st, pull the plugs. Here's the 1st one i pulled. (all others were normal)
p1306722_1.jpg

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
With it looking like that, I decide to leak it down. What would you guys guess it leaked? Yep, 100% leakdown. With a majority coming out the exhaust. Next step, pop the valve cover and inspect the valvetrain.

p1306723_1.jpg

Yep, there we go. Just as I suspected, but that dislodged spring is on the intake side, and it leaked mostly on the exhaust. Hmmmmmm. Need to take off the head to investigate further. But first, the carbs come off.

p1306723_2.jpg

Okie dokie. How about that head?

p1306723_3.jpg

Oh yeah. That explains it. Thank god I had some thick crowned custom nitrous pistons (for when i was gonna spray it HARD), because it contained everything in the chamber instead of in the bottom 1/2 to mingle with my carillo rods.

p1306723_4.jpg

So there you go. Brand new motor down the shitter. I called the engine builder (who is now in Tennesee instead of 25 miles from my house) and he said he would "do what he can to help me out", whatever that means. It looks to me as there is evidence of all of the exhaust valves slightly kissing the pistons --- look at the little ridge on this "good" piston...

p1306723_5.jpg

So, I'm gonna send everything back to him and see what happens. Wish me luck.

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
Talking to a guy who has built small blocks engines for over 20 years, this is a sad sight to his eyes. The valve kissing the piston as shown in the last pic is okay for a drag bike that only sees quarter mile passes will be fine. With something like that though, i think the builder might have cut it too close and the piston met that exhaust valve in an unfriendly manner. Either that or some valve springs that weren't stiff enough and had valve float. Super crappy...

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
StiCk3;1306857 said:
Talking to a guy who has built small blocks engines for over 20 years, this is a sad sight to his eyes. The valve kissing the piston as shown in the last pic is okay for a drag bike that only sees quarter mile passes will be fine. With something like that though, i think the builder might have cut it too close and the piston met that exhaust valve in an unfriendly manner. Either that or some valve springs that weren't stiff enough and had valve float. Super crappy...

Yeah, I wouldn't think I need .08 in or .1 ex p-to-v clearance like a chevy, but I didnt think they built these things this tight, especially with the amount of rpm's they turn and the potential for float. I usually like a little more "wiggle room" than zero, even on a drag motor. My guess is that for the amount of work that would be needed to repair the head it would be far easier to source another one, even though this one had a decent amount of port work in it. Now my concern is if that rod bearing took a beating. I'll be cutting open the filter and inspecting it in the next few days to see how worried i should be.

I almost just want to sell it and cut my losses, but I'll send it out to him and see what he says.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Ugh, that absolutely sucks Bryan! You should have sent me a PM, I'd have come to watch/ help all I could! (Though, my knowledge of bikes consists of the following: 1) keep it on two wheels.

Hope the builder stands behind his work!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sorry about the bad luck Bryan............if you think you can make this 1jz work that I have in my garage, it's yours. Unfortunately, it won't make as much torque as your one good cylinder that you have.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
I sent back the head, cases (engine cylinders for the non-bike buys ;)) and pistons to the guy who built it. He should have them by now, and I'll be calling him 1st thing in the morning to see if hes looked over them.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
is the cylinder itself alright or did pieces of the valve screw up the walls pretty bad? Looks like the guy who built it screwed up and took too much off the head or something.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Just talked to my engine guy. Parts at cost and labor is free, so he's definitely doing what he can to help me out. Head is going to be repaired, and while it's in pieces, it will be getting some bigger cams. I'm going to ship him the rest of the motor this week, and since he will be coming to CT at the end of the month, he will deliver the motor to me also. Things are looking up, but it still sucks to be down for a month.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Slow66;1312344 said:
Just talked to my engine guy. Parts at cost and labor is free, so he's definitely doing what he can to help me out. Head is going to be repaired, and while it's in pieces, it will be getting some bigger cams. I'm going to ship him the rest of the motor this week, and since he will be coming to CT at the end of the month, he will deliver the motor to me also. Things are looking up, but it still sucks to be down for a month.

that really sucks man but i must say it is a beautiful bike!

dont give up on it make that pass get liscensed and then spray the living fuck out if it!