Back again

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
So.... my house got robbed back in june. I was without a computer until friday afternoon. Things could have been much, much worse. The garage was untouched, which is nice because my car was in there with the key in the ignition. Stupid? Yes, but no one ever expects their home to be compromised. Lesson learned. So everything that was worth any kind of money was stolen, for the most part. Does anyone know how to get the music from my ipod into my new itunes?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Bummer to hear Jay. I would think you can just plug it in and transfer, no?

Your predicament is one reason I keep the most expensive car parts as hidden away as I can, even in my own home... then again, leave all the games (some worth decent money) out in the open, so... guess it could happen to anyone huh?

Consider getting a guard dog or an ADT system? I remember my parents old security system, if that thing went off while you were in the house, you did NOT want to be in the house anymore...

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
te72;1859738 said:
I remember my parents old security system, if that thing went off while you were in the house, you did NOT want to be in the house anymore...

Boobie trap?

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
DreamerTheresa;1859628 said:
Oh, jesus. Glad all that was taken was your computer, but I can't imagine how violated you feel. :(

thats the worst part. Just the thought of the crackers hand taking my computer off my bed creeps me right the fuck out. Unfortunately my computer was not the only thing taken. The only item I care about was the laptop, 3 years of photos, notes, videos all that stuff is gone. Oh and my microtech adapter with all my emissions and back up tunes was in my laptop bag. Thats a piss off that isnt covered by insurance. My parents lost a lot more than I did. iPad, laptop, kindle and the worst things are the jewlery and cash. My dad lost well over 1K in cash, his wedding bands and some irreplaceable rings that my Aunt made him and his father gave him.

On to the good news, if you can call it that. Due to my mom being able to produce the serial number from her iPad the police were able to make an arrest. Turns out this couple has been on a crime spree in the lower mainland of BC. I am hopefull that once the police finish their investigation I may get some of my information back from my old laptop. Not holding my breath though.

te72;1859738 said:
Bummer to hear Jay. I would think you can just plug it in and transfer, no?

Consider getting a guard dog or an ADT system? I remember my parents old security system, if that thing went off while you were in the house, you did NOT want to be in the house anymore...

No its not that easy :( As for actions taken, well personally I made the biggest decision of my life and bought a townhouse. It is equipped with and alarm and I am allowed 2 dogs. My parents neighborhood isnt exactly a good one anymore so I am moving to a better neighborhood. Theres a driveway for my truck and garage for my car. Things are looking up. My dad has made it much more difficult to break in without being super obvious to the rest of the neighborhood. I wouldnt be shocked to see a for sale sign on my parents lawn in the near future.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
yea and they wont even use them! Probably in a ditch somewhere because they have no idea what to do with the dongle

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
BoostMonger;1859739 said:
Boobie trap?
No, just really loud. Probably 120-130db I would guess, and very high pitched.

Jay, I remember you saying that you had bought a place in your last thread... Question though, how did they get in? Was it a lack of security/securing doors/windows, were they forceful, or well equipped to break in? I always wonder about these things.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
One of the most devious methods is to break into your car during the day, snag your registration papers and your garage door opener, then drive to the house listed on the papers, open the door using the remote, drive into the garage, close the door, and break into the house at their leisure. They know that chances are you won't be home for hours, so they can take their time, load up their vehicle with your stuff, and all without much risk of exposure to the locals.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
GrimJack;1860083 said:
One of the most devious methods is to break into your car during the day, snag your registration papers and your garage door opener, then drive to the house listed on the papers, open the door using the remote, drive into the garage, close the door, and break into the house at their leisure. They know that chances are you won't be home for hours, so they can take their time, load up their vehicle with your stuff, and all without much risk of exposure to the locals.

Now your giving people ideas jack

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
te72;1860072 said:
No, just really loud. Probably 120-130db I would guess, and very high pitched.

Jay, I remember you saying that you had bought a place in your last thread... Question though, how did they get in? Was it a lack of security/securing doors/windows, were they forceful, or well equipped to break in? I always wonder about these things.

Yea I was in the process of buying a place, looking at evey place that came onto the market. I dont know if I actually signed the papers then, but this break in was for sure the extra push I needed to be super motivated and get it done. Also, my place is brand new so it isnt ready yet. I take possesion on thursday!! Which worked out well because the mortgage laws in canada changed 2 days after I was approved. So things worked out well.

As for how she got in, well its a combination of all the above, except they werent well equipped. A neighbor saw a girl walking down the road and she veered into our driveway as she was spotted. She knocked on the door. I assume this is to check that no one is home. She then took a rock with her into the backyard and heaved it through the back doors window, reached in and unlocked the door. The backyard is now locked up, no getting in without hopping a fence.

And Dave isnt giving me any ideas, this has been a fairly common notion for me my whole life. Its a scary thought, but I recall this happening to Justin(TT, for those of you who know him from sf) and he caught them in the act because after his mustang was robbed he went straight home. I may be a little off with the details but something along those lines happened to him. Either way leaving your garage door in your car isnt a great idea. I am lucky that these people were just petty theives and not organized in any shape, way or form.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, at least it is behind you Jay. As for me, I keep my garage door a bit hidden, just in case. Don't want what you can't see, right?