ATI custom damper

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
seconded on the anti mallet idea. The crank bolt is more than strong enough to move the hub into place as its' torqued down, especially when anti-seize is used.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
I've read many other people have used rubber mallet so I hope everythings fine. The ct 26 yup bone stock lol it's a temp probably won't even make it inthe car.

Tireburner

Boosted7M
Apr 5, 2005
CAnada
I only tapped it on till the crank bolt had enough threads to pull it on the rest of the way. Im going to flip it over check everything over tonight. Hope I didnt damage anything. Im just a dumb body man lol

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

p1622786_1.jpg

p1622786_2.jpg

p1622786_3.jpg

Funny built motor and head with a stock ct26.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
A few folks believe that the stock damper wears over time, specifically the internal 20+ year old rubber. This can make the damper less effective. Considering how important the damper is, I decided to replace it. There isn't much of a price difference between a new stock one and the ATI, so I opted for the ATI since it's gotten great reviews and should be "newer" technology.

I've also read that some people have had trouble getting timing nuts-on with the old damper but as soon as they replaced the damper, problem solved.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The ATI was actually significantly cheaper than buying a new one from Toyota. Looks like Toyota has dropped their price since the ATI became available.

Toyota: $325
ATI: $550

The ATI is also SFI approved, in case you are racing... and you're FAST. :)

The factory original ones are definitely past their life expectancy - I've seen them completely separate, like Honestabe's, that literally came apart into two pieces on the dyno.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
^ And, my boke too. It didn't come off fully as I caught it early!! But, I broke off bolt in crank (due to wobble and put stress on bolt) which was a 2.5 hr drilling process to get out!!! Custom parts to be made to ensure I was going straight in while drilling. This was at lower hp that I am at currently too.

So, ATI is win. ;)

Duane

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Don't forget I also had one explode last year on me on the way back from the Centralia meet. It did a good chunk of damage to stuff. New OEM JZ crank pulley is $280~, ATI was $353 shipped. I'll gladly pay the extra to get something better. Don't forget that with the ATI, it uses aluminum to dampen vs. rubber like the stock one.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
The ATI uses elastomer bands inside to dampen. not Aluminum. ATI does provide instructions to install, and they do mention honing the hub. They give a specific amount of interference fit, and to hone the hub if needed. That is a generic type instruction however and does not really apply to the 7m. The 30 or 40 7m ATI dampers I have sold in the last 2 years have all installed without issue or needing to be honed. The ATi damper in the std size is made to dampen the harmonics of 650 HP at constant duty. The OEM toyota one will fall on its face long before that.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
btw you all can thank/chastise me on that tight fit ;)

but more importantly TOYOTA.

There manufacturing tolerances on the crank are actually quite amazing. Two cranks, both where within .001 of each other. I averaged that and gave that number to ATI. I am curious has anyone NOT been able to install the ATI on thier crank after all this time?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
suprarich;1625181 said:
The ATI uses elastomer bands inside to dampen. not Aluminum. ATI does provide instructions to install, and they do mention honing the hub. They give a specific amount of interference fit, and to hone the hub if needed. That is a generic type instruction however and does not really apply to the 7m. The 30 or 40 7m ATI dampers I have sold in the last 2 years have all installed without issue or needing to be honed. The ATi damper in the std size is made to dampen the harmonics of 650 HP at constant duty. The OEM toyota one will fall on its face long before that.

It'll handle 650 crank or wheel? Either way, how much bigger do you need to go if you want to make more than that?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Moy

simple really

what ever the max SUSTAINED hp divide by 100.

850hp (crank) means 850/100= 8.5. that is the OD inches needed for sustained dampening at the power level required.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
figgie;1625887 said:
Moy

simple really

what ever the max SUSTAINED hp divide by 100.

850hp (crank) means 850/100= 8.5. that is the OD inches needed for sustained dampening at the power level required.

To add to this Moy, what we mean is running your foot on the floor producing the power non stop all day long as if you was running the Daytona 500. No street car is gong to do this. If you had 850 HP, you would only be using that amount of power for very short busrts which the off the shelf ATI damper will be just fine with. I have a few customers running 4 digit HP levels on the 650hp damper for years with no problems.