As Requested: MaftPro Install writeup

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
turbobob said:
Innovate's grounding info is confusing, but I have mine connected to my ECU wiring in my GN.

They also say, either use separate ring terminals on separate bolts..... (????)

Or solder the blue and white into the same ring terminal and bolt to good ground
(I would recommend this....)

Bob

Yeah, their manual is rather odd in that area. I supposed I'll leave it as is (at least for now) and we'll leave the other methods for the forums and writeups.

Anything else I need to address?

Thanks.

EDIT:
For the N/A owners there are new diagrams posted in the N/A writeup: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=647231&postcount=31

Last edited:

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
I hooked up as per this diagram. and i assume the dotted lines show the original wire route before cutting for timing control install on 89+ 7MGTE ecu.

I have verified that my

white wire goes to ECU side of the cut IGt wire
Green to ECU side of IGf wire
Ignitor IGF is no longer connected.
Both gray(Grey) goes to the engine harness IGT to the ignitor.

But when hooked up it will not run the motor. after a few cranks i get a back fire. Did i miss something? perhapse a setting or wire problem. I have 4.8 and 4.6 version of Maft pro.

ANy ideas?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yes, the dotted lines indicate original wire routing that's been removed. I'm sorry, but I don't know precisely what the issue is. Have you verified that all the connections are solid and that the ignitor is receiving a signal on the IGt line?

On a side note, have you been running 4.8 or 4.6 prior to this? If 4.8 what's the version the MAFT Pro displays when first powered up? (ie: v4.80, v4.82, v4.84)

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
i havent driven the car yet but i have ran it on 4.6 and 4.8. I am prety sure it says 4.8 on start up and i have previously reset to defaults. The connections have been verified with a multi meter half a dozen times. Whenever hooked up this way it wont run but it will run hooked up like factory.

So If i understand, you mean that there is no setting i should have to change to make this run, it just works when wired up?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
From what limited understanding I have of the Timing Control feature I've come to the understanding that when the manifold pressure is below a certain psi level it's supposed to just pass the IGt signal straight through to the ignitor. I may be wrong.

Have you got everything installed and are you running S/D or MAF-T?

Hopefully the good Doctor or Bob will chime in.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
speed density with no IAT mode currently until i can get hard pipes made with a bung for the temp sensor.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
boltz said:
I hooked up as per this diagram. and i assume the dotted lines show the original wire route before cutting for timing control install on 89+ 7MGTE ecu.

I have verified that my

white wire goes to ECU side of the cut IGt wire
Green to ECU side of IGf wire
Ignitor IGF is no longer connected.
Both gray(Grey) goes to the engine harness IGT to the ignitor.

But when hooked up it will not run the motor. after a few cranks i get a back fire. Did i miss something? perhapse a setting or wire problem. I have 4.8 and 4.6 version of Maft pro.

ANy ideas?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

have you done the other mods for the timing monitor?

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
Yes but if i recall it didnt work any way because i did not do the TM mod right away and just had the wire for TM hooked up with the option set for it.

instead of only saying did you mod for TM ... perhapse also explain how and what directly affects the functionality of the timing control. I Appreciate all the help.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I think the main thing is whether or not you removed the resistor R7 from the MAFT Pro.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
i have had the timing monitor wired up and working with and with out the resistor mod. both did not run in timing control mode.

If there is something that will affect timing control directly then lets spit it out and i will give it a try.

In the mean time i will disconnect timing monitor and play some more.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Sorry, I can't recall it the R7 resistor that has to be removed for timing monitoring has to be in place or removed for timing control. I was hoping Dr.Jonez would step up with the answer.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
Could someone point out why these driagrams of a 90 MK3 have conflitcing info ragarding IGT IGF etc. one diagram shows IGT to IGT and the other shows IGT to IGB on the igniter...

I Reset the unit + reloaded the software + reconnected the resistor + disconnected Yellow MAFT wire from G2 for timing monitor. It wont run.

I'd like to put my dash board back together but not until i sort this out.

http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=Main&Page=40

http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=Main&Page=47

Thanks.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
nope nothing.... Is it confirmed that someone has run timing control with 89+ wiring & GTE ecu?

E1 is a direct block ground.... I wired my LC1 as per the diagram that has been released by Dr Jones or Maft pro people... it is a fancy good looking diagram that shows an XD16 gauge and the LC1.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Have a link for that diagram? As it is right now I've got the purple from the MAFT Pro's 10 pin connected to the green wire from the LC-1 and that's it, do I need to ground those two somewhere additional?

I don't know of anyone who's running timing control, but I don't follow GTE MAFT Pro threads too closely. I suspect the pinout in the TEWD which shows the different signal values per each wire is yet another discrepancy. We should start a sticky with confirmed TSRM and TEWD errata.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah, I've got that one. Nothing in it about grounding those two wires... so I'll assume my diagram is accurate.

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
Question about the LC-1 wiring. Do the mated purple and green wires from the MAFT Pro and LC-1 connect to each other AND get run to the block?

mine only connect to the pro not the block and it works for wideband signal to the pro. I have not tried the narrowband as i will run no o2 to the ECU. The green wire was never said in the LC1 manual to connect to chassis ground.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
hey ive kinda got a dumb question but my maft pro kit just came in and im ready to wire it in like it shows for the pre 89 for my 87 and i was just wondering on the first page were u show how to wire it into the ecu, do you just use like a regular connector and connect all the wires from the maft pro harness into the wires that lead into the ecu and leave all the ends going into the harness just chillin? sorry i just dont wanna mess it up thanks!