Arrrgh - #$%&!@*^% tranny.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Lost the damn tranny this morning in the Supra. :icon_mad:

I can shift into first gear with the clutch out, but when you engeage the clutch, it kicks the shifter out. If you hold the shifter, it grinds and forces the shifter out. I literally did nothing to hurt first gear. I've been doing 3rd gear pulls to tune but I haven't done a 1,2,3, gear pull or drag raced it yet. :cry:

What the best option here? Rebuild, find something used.... :3d_frown: I'm guessing this will have a $300+ parts fee AND I'm going to miss CHI2K6. :cry: Anyone have a R154 in the northern IL, Southern WI area that will sell cheap?

Last edited:

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Point of interest here. I have a good gearset and internals for an R154.... All that is wrong with it is one of the shift fork bolts broke off in the shift fork shaft. There is nothing wrong with the thrust washer or any of the gears.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
Snotcycle said:
while we're on the subject, what kind of torque will the R154 hold reliably?

Alot if you don't abuse it. The amount it will handle will vary with age, oil, etc.

*My* problem is that I'm a sucker for $100 junkyard trannies. :biglaugh:

Gixxer750 - I still need a weight....

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
tookwik4u89 said:
Probably just a synchro, or if youre lucky the plastic bushing on the shifter.

LOL, plastic bushing = optimist... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Yeah it probably the TW, maybe stripped gear but doubt it. I don't know what a bad syncro on first is like, but in 3rd it won't let you go into gear at all.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I've seen the plastic bushings do that quite a bit on toyota trucks, the synchros usually start out grinding going into gear getting progressively worse until it wont go at all.

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
boost PSSH boost said:
I have a r154, Located 20 minutes east of Madison.

OK, update and thread closure:
Tranny is in thanks to "boost pssh boost". The crappy news is that the clutch slips now which hopefully will seat in after a few more miles. If "Gixxer"'s tranny parts arrive here wednesday as planned, I'll have a spare tranny 'just in case'. :naughty:

Thanks to both of you for helping me out!