are R154 transmissions usually knotchy to shift?

Pozobyt

Dec 7, 2010
Lucedale, MS
I picked up a mkIII supra the other day and the tranny shifts fine and doesn't grind, but it feels very knotchy when I shift into gear. is this normal?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It is not common. R series are thought to be "notchy," but I have one gear box hear that came with a Supra I bought and I can shift into and out of every gear using two fingers with barley any pressure. The car only has 86,xxx miles on it and was just being torn apart for a blow headgasket and the guy forgot how to put it back together.

I am now using that gearbox on a 1JZ but I am rebuilding it with new Toyota bearings, washers, synchros, seals, Marlin Crawler internals and using Redline gear oil. I expect to have a really smooth shifting gearbox that will be reliable and handle some good power.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I've driven a Supra w/ R154 and SOGI modded shifter (undampened) and it felt smooth.

I've driven AE86's with their T50's that were more notchy than a R154

It depends on the transmission, how it was driven in the past, user preference/sensitivity, etc

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supramk3speed;1655925 said:
Compared to my wifes saturn ion it shifts like a tank. I love it though, i can't tell if im in gear in her little car.

FWD linkage gearbox with tons of bushings in the assembly = "wtf gear am I in?"