Are human beings this ignorant? A strut brace rant.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=276992965666658&set=o.2237359041&type=1&ref=nf
Read the comments. So much ricer lolgic.
Seriously though, would it kill people to do a google search and actually research before talking? I read a post by IJ about this, and after a brief search to understand a double wishbone suspension, my strut bar was literally laying on my garage floor 5 minutes later. Group A cars didn't even use them, at least that's what I saw from the pictures of them. Why do people think they make a difference even after it has been explained to them?!
/rant
-AM3

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Actually, on a serious note, if you were to take the strut bar you have and have 2 bars welded to it. To triangulate it to the firewall it would benefit the car. BUT most people do not do this. And also swear to the car gods that, that is just unnecessary for the brace.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
People are stupid. I always laugh at it, because I can very quickly show how stupid they are.

Me: Here, what does it attach to?
Them: The strut towers.
Me: Yes, and what's stressing them?
Them: The struts.
Me: What force?
Them: Oh, it presses in and out.
Me: Oh, really? How does it do that when the bottom of the strut is attached with a joint that allows rotation along that access?
Them: I dunno, it just does.
Me: *staring at them trying to kill them with my mind*

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
No idea if you are this Tom guy or not, but going in and trying to make a point in effort to come off as more educated/higher/better in some way is just as stupid in my opinion. This Tom seems well aware that there is no structural benefit of the strut bar, but starts off with "What's the point of the strut brace?" knowing what the response will be, just so he could argue his point and prove that he is "smarter". Anyway, it's like laughing at someone for making a rookie mistake, such as using X air filter because ebay said it would give me more power, or using a strut brace because ebay said it would make the car more rigid... I see people doing this all the time, seemingly in effort to boost their self ego. How about you just explain from the get go the error in their logic, and if they don't want to hear it end it there instead of arguing. Anyway, that is the end of my little rant :p.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's pointless. Let them think it makes a difference. They prolly came from hondas. The whole point of the strut brace is when there is a strut that is the upper load carrying point. We dont have that.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
The whole point of a STRUT brace is for Macpherson/Chapman STRUTS, which DO put side loads on the strut towers. As we know, the Supra does not have struts. What also makes me laugh is the design of some of the strut braces out there. End brackets so weak that they would deflect under load etc.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Yes, a great many human beings are indeed that ignorant. Or put another way that I've heard, they're wedded to their preconceptions far more firmly than to their spouses.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
GrimJack;1771140 said:
I bought my Greddy to give girls something to lean on when bending over the engine bay.

You finally just gave me a reason to buy one yes i shall order one tonight and i must admit its a must have for this reason only :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I've had this dicussion/argument many times over the years here even to the point of a well respected member arguing for bars....

The Placebo effect is strong and people want to believe they haven't made a useless purchase so will justify their decision.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Some cars are a bit different, like the Miata. While it's a double wishbone suspension on all 4 corners, it's also a convertable so the STB seems to have some effect. They came with them from the factory, and I don't see them wasting money on them...though one never knows.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You're right Ian, not too long ago strut tower braces were all the rage in the MKIII community. Even senior members were swearing by them.

Reminds me when I was very active on Supraforums.com, and everyone was saying that we needed a company to make a forged steel crank for us so it can handle more power. Everybody was claiming that we had cast cranks. I can't remember which company made them for us, but it costed somewhere in the $3700 range. A well respected member or two bought one. I'm sure he won't come out and say who he is. Anyway, I got around to tearing my engine down to send it to a machine shop. I pulled that crank out and hot damn... it was a forged steel crank from the factory! I rejoiced to this awesome find and posted on SF, and they laughed at me. They told me I had no clue what I was talking about cause we all had cast cranks. I swear it wasn't until Mibrium told everybody we had forged steel cranks did they believe it. I still wonder to this day who actually bought one of those $3700 crankshaft.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Suprapowaz!(2);1771160 said:
You're right Ian, not too long ago strut tower braces were all the rage in the MKIII community. Even senior members were swearing by them.

Reminds me when I was very active on Supraforums.com, and everyone was saying that we needed a company to make a forged steel crank for us so it can handle more power. Everybody was claiming that we had cast cranks. I can't remember which company made them for us, but it costed somewhere in the $3700 range. A well respected member or two bought one. I'm sure he won't come out and say who he is. Anyway, I got around to tearing my engine down to send it to a machine shop. I pulled that crank out and hot damn... it was a forged steel crank from the factory! I rejoiced to this awesome find and posted on SF, and they laughed at me. They told me I had no clue what I was talking about cause we all had cast cranks. I swear it wasn't until Mibrium told everybody we had forged steel cranks did they believe it. I still wonder to this day who actually bought one of those $3700 crankshaft.

Just ignorance and people that don't know how to tell the difference between Forged and Cast is all....

Haven't come across too many Cast Japanese Cranks over the years.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
CyFi6;1771107 said:
No idea if you are this Tom guy or not, but going in and trying to make a point in effort to come off as more educated/higher/better in some way is just as stupid in my opinion. This Tom seems well aware that there is no structural benefit of the strut bar, but starts off with "What's the point of the strut brace?" knowing what the response will be, just so he could argue his point and prove that he is "smarter". Anyway, it's like laughing at someone for making a rookie mistake, such as using X air filter because ebay said it would give me more power, or using a strut brace because ebay said it would make the car more rigid... I see people doing this all the time, seemingly in effort to boost their self ego. How about you just explain from the get go the error in their logic, and if they don't want to hear it end it there instead of arguing. Anyway, that is the end of my little rant :p.
I just got surgery and a cast on my arm, so no mountain biking, no video games, no good cooking, and no wrenching for me. Nothing better to do, might as well troll the Honda owning Supra fanboys, lol.

I do understand and respect your point of view. But I do find it more effective to challenge a person by asking questions that stimulate critical thinking and a search for the answer, rather than spoon-feeding them answers, hence why I started with "What's the point of the strut brace?".
-AM3

Last edited: