Anyone notice this? And I wonder if the owner was a member here.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Fire destroys garage

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11440085?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

Neighbors said, "You could hear the bang from down the street," as they watched the fire that destroyed the garage at 204 Spring St. on Monday afternoon.

Battalion Chief Mike Venezio said the Santa Cruz Fire Department was dispatched at 4:15 p.m., and was on scene in minutes.

The fire was mostly contained to the garage, Venezio said.

"Upon arrival crews encountered a fully engulfed garage spreading into the residence and the fire being pushed by a moderate breeze unto the adjacent residence to the right of the involved structure," he said.

Fire crews dampened the fire in the garage while crews pulled down ceilings in the house to stop fire that hit the attic. Fire in the residence to the right was extinguished and suffered moderate damage to the exterior, he said.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Resident Eric Paris, who along with another man rents the house, said his roommate called him at work in Scotts Valley.

"He said, You've got to get home, the house is burning down,'" Paris said.

He said his roommate was working on cars in the garage when one of them caught fire.

Firefighters have not yet begun the investigation into the cause of the blaze but the scene confirmed Paris' statement: two cars, a 1989 Toyota Supra MGTE and a 1974 BMW 2002 were completely destroyed.

Paris, a manager at Winchester Auto Parts in Scotts Valley, said it was likely that his roommate had been changing a head gasket on one of the cars, referring to the engine part that seals flammable substances like oil and coolant from leaking into the combustion chamber of an engine.

His roommate, Paris said, had to run out of the burning garage after the car exploded in front of him.

Venezio said the fire was an accident, caused when the fuel line on the vehicle broke.

"This enabled the gasoline vapors to reach the water heater and ignite the garage, which included the two vehicles," Venezio said. "The interior of the residence sustained minor damage from smoke and water."

The real concern for the two residents were their pets.

"I don't care about any of the stuff inside," Paris said, "as long as the pets are OK."

Paris said two turtles, several fish and a bearded dragon lived in the house and five chickens lived in a coop in the backyard.

A firefighter later said that all of the pets appeared to have survived.

Paris said the two men rent the house from his roommate's parents,who have owned the residence for 30 or 40 years.

:nono: :aigo: :(

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Wow. I'm glad that all people and animals are alright. But this should go to show that as much as we all take wrenching as causally as we do, it still does have its safety hazards. :( I hope the property insurance will cover everything for them though.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
veedubin;1868614 said:
Wow. I'm glad that all people and animals are alright. But this should go to show that as much as we all take wrenching as causally as we do, it still does have its safety hazards. :( I hope the property insurance will cover everything for them though.

The property insurance will cover the landlord's loss. I hope they had renters' insurance. It's so cheap to carry but most guys don't ever pick it up.

Also, it was very thorough of the person who wrote the article to give the scientific background on how a head gasket stops all that flammable coolant from entering the combustion chamber.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
iruyle;1868619 said:
The property insurance will cover the landlord's loss. I hope they had renters' insurance. It's so cheap to carry but most guys don't ever pick it up.

Also, it was very thorough of the person who wrote the article to give the scientific background on how a head gasket stops all that flammable coolant from entering the combustion chamber.

LOL. I agree... but coolant is in fact flammable. Not so much you can put a match to it and light it. But the vapors produced when it boils can ignite; yes I speak from experience LOL :rolleyes:

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
veedubin;1868625 said:
LOL. I agree... but coolant is in fact flammable. Not so much you can put a match to it and light it. But the vapors produced when it boils can ignite; yes I speak from experience LOL :rolleyes:

That's crazy. I never heard of that. In light of that information I hereby humbly retract my smug, sarcastic dig at that article's author. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1868648 said:
It's not called the Murky News for nothing. And I bet the guy didn't have an extinguisher in the garage. Do you?
I carry one in my car at all times, just in case. Seen too many car fires, and some really nice cars at that, to not do that.

Sorry to hear though, too bad about the BMW, those are getting to be worth pretty good money these days...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Garage needs one too, preferably of a decent size. I keep a 10 pound 1211 in mine. Btw this would be far from the first guy whose garage burned down because of fuel vapor and a hot water heater. That sort of thing isn't nearly as rare as one would think.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
emericaskater285;1868688 said:
Notice they do not say what car he was changing the head gasket on, but we all know exactly what car it is.
I was thinking this too..

I have a fire extinguisher handy for the house, and I bought one to keep in my DD at all times. I'm tired of getting sad from seeing beautiful cars have to burn to the ground because nobody kept a fire extinguisher handy after modding a car's fuel system.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
emericaskater285;1868688 said:
Notice they do not say what car he was changing the head gasket on, but we all know exactly what car it is.

The irony would be if it wasn't the Supra that was being worked on. lol

and Thank God everyone was alright. At least that's how it sounds.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1868742 said:
I call BS on the fuel line breaking unless they tried to lift the engine without unhooking it... :nono:
After having actually lifted a car by the fuel lines (or rather, seeing a friend do it to his car), I'm with you on this one...