Anyone know how to get ahold of Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
loc182;2018897 said:
Glad to hear you finally got the Tokicos Vega! What an epic journey it was!

thx man. Yah now for some nice new tires and that'll about do it in the handling department.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Depends on what the smell is characterized as.
Still have a functioning catalytic converter?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Uh..yeah..
No cat to light off the unburned fuel, its going to smell like a boat or an old musclecar.
I ran without a cat for a very short time, couldn't stand the fumes, cat is now back on.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
VegaSupra;2018939 said:
thx man. Yah now for some nice new tires and that'll about do it in the handling department.

I have the new tires, just missing the suspension :p I am pretty sure my shocks are original, so I look forward to joining the TEMS functional club along with you in the next year!

Sorry to hear about the smell issues, hopefully that gets sorted without too much trouble!

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
By the way, did you replace any other suspension components when swapping out the shocks? I noticed you mentioned the ST sway bar, but did you replace any ball joints or bushings?

Hope the new tires work out! If they give you any woes I have nothing but good things to say about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires I run now. Of course, in SoCal you probably would never need an all season tire :p

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
loc182;2020016 said:
By the way, did you replace any other suspension components when swapping out the shocks? I noticed you mentioned the ST sway bar, but did you replace any ball joints or bushings?

Hope the new tires work out! If they give you any woes I have nothing but good things to say about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus tires I run now. Of course, in SoCal you probably would never need an all season tire :p

I didn't replace any ball joints or bushings.

We get our fair amount of rain here... less than many other places but still... when it rains here, it comes down pretty good. The Comp2's I'm getting are also rated very highly in wet traction so I should be covered. They get put on today!

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Looking forward to your review on the tires!

On the subject of cats, I am hoping to get the Random Technologies metal substrate high flow myself. Exhaust is the only mod I have planned, so based on comments throughout this site I think it will do well for me.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
89SuperRedT;2020680 said:
I have a high flow cat...

you have one you want to sell or you are just telling us like "fyi"?

loc182;2020682 said:
Looking forward to your review on the tires!

On the subject of cats, I am hoping to get the Random Technologies metal substrate high flow myself. Exhaust is the only mod I have planned, so based on comments throughout this site I think it will do well for me.

Tires are on, and so far they are excellent. Took a long circular on-ramp and my Supra felt like it was on roller coaster rails. Stuck to the ground like glue with no difficulty and no drama. Have only driven them like 50 miles so I'm takin it easy on them for now but that ramp was fun. :icon_bigg

As for high flow cats... anyone know if this one from Titan is a good one?

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/dibo3hiflcac.html

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I know this thread is for the Illumina shocks, but since the last couple posts discussed high flow cats, I figured I'd just post a quick update that after some additional research, I found that the one from Titan is a generic cat with Supra flanges attached to it and it has a ceramic spun core. Not ideal.

However, I had OCDSPEED make me one and it is 100% awesome quality. Full stainless design, including spun metallic core and much more high flow than the generic ones. I received it about 1 week after ordering it and it looks and feels fantastic... about as good of an exhaust piece as you could ask for.

Just wanted to report that update incase any of you are looking to get a high flow cat. OCD has it on sale right now for $189. :icon_bigg

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
3p141592654;2025063 said:
Would appear it doesn't pass ARB's Rapid Aging Test for aftermarket converters, so I'm not sure it really is as good as you say.

OCD is a one man shop. I seriously doubt ARB has any knowledge of these. As for "qualifying" for passing CA smog, I am very confident it will. I have this friend (eh-hem:icon_bigg) that passed with flying colors running a totally catless setup (dp to test pipe to 3 inch). Adding this cat is better than using an offroad pipe.

Jaerrick

Nov 2, 2014
San Diego
yhatzee89;2025052 said:
Any updates on the IL2s?

I just called a couple places looking for them, new rumor is they'll be getting them in jan-feb of 2015. Works for me, since I've got a couple things to do before buying those. Best advice is to just try to call places occasionally and ask.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
loc182;2037940 said:
Hey Vega, are you still happy with the shocks? Tax time means I can finally buy a set!

Perfectly happy! I love the way my Supra rides now. If you can find the Illuminas, get em!

Here's some brand new pics of my Supra with the full suspension setup.

IMG_4688-2000.jpg IMG_4696-2000.jpg IMG_4711-2000.jpg IMG_4710-2000.jpg

Last edited:

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
loc182;2039938 said:
Awesome, time to pull the trigger then!

Also, you car looks amazing! The white package really did the Supra proud!

Thanks man. Yah the white package for 91-92 is awesome!

VegaSupra;2025037 said:
I know this thread is for the Illumina shocks, but since the last couple posts discussed high flow cats, I figured I'd just post a quick update that after some additional research, I found that the one from Titan is a generic cat with Supra flanges attached to it and it has a ceramic spun core. Not ideal.

However, I had OCDSPEED make me one and it is 100% awesome quality. Full stainless design, including spun metallic core and much more high flow than the generic ones. I received it about 1 week after ordering it and it looks and feels fantastic... about as good of an exhaust piece as you could ask for.

Just wanted to report that update incase any of you are looking to get a high flow cat. OCD has it on sale right now for $189. :icon_bigg

and to do a real quick follow up to this earlier post, I finally got up underneath the Supra this past weekend and put this bad boy on.

Looks great. Sounds perfect. No complaints. If anybody wants to get a high quality high flow stainless CAT, this is the one to get!

...and you can see faintly that is has an inscription on it "N/CE 59959 0614".

Not quite sure what that means but I suppose something for smog requirements? Here are some pics of it before and after installation.

OCD Speed CAT (1)-2000.jpg OCD Speed CAT (2)-2000.jpg OCD Speed CAT (3)-2000.jpg