Anyone ever put a BB chevy in a MKIII ? PIC's of V8 supras wanted... thanks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tturnpaw;1296380 said:
I never took offense to it at all. Its just some logic ive picked up about chevs. Having grown up with everything chev performance, ive learned my own way, like how overhead cams will always outperform the latter. Its just factual upon design.

I have no problem with whatever engine you choose. I was just making it logical with costs and power outputs. Mainly for the other users. I myself am sick of people saying chev this chev that when costs equal to any other maker and its proven parts arent any more cheaper or expensive than anything else. Its personal preference, not a better way.

For people without a welder or know someone who can easily aid in a swap, it isnt possible. Thus, making it expensive including wire, gas, steel, wiring, etc. The op never said anything about price, but other users did. Then, other users stated incorrect information, which was set right.

The only reason I have anything to say to you is not me attacking you in any way, its just biased for your views and people may know what these engines are, but may not know how difficult it is to complete it. Hence this thread. The funny thing is, I know more about chevs, fords, and dodge pushrod engines than i do these supras. Hell, ive even built a Toyota pickup with a small block 302. Its not the swap im against as much as the decision to avoid a toyota engine for displacement when the potential is there. The power arguement is lacking, ive even seen a 1uz in a mkiv on youtube put out 400whp na and revving to 9300rpms.

To keep it simple and straightforward, its not cheap. Parts may be plentiful, but no cheaper than most other v8s. I will exclude that a set of quad cams for a 1uz is spendy, but thats four cams and that much more flow. Pushrod engines are under designed, ancient and exhausted. Other than that, id like to see it. The push rod design is primitive, and eats power through the valvetrain. Like i said, its mainly my preference, but cost, fabrication, and with half the other engines lack of design.

Give it a rest kid you're starting to annoy me.

Come back when you have actually built your 1Uz wonder car...

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
IJ.;1296389 said:
As for the cost, don't care it's not a factor when I play cars, you say $3500 like it's a lot of money?

To some of us it is, IJ. It's like you said, you've been playing with cars for far longer than most of us. That also means you've been making money for far longer than most of us. Hell, I was still in diapers when you had your BBC.

It may be true that in the grand scheme of things $3500 isn't much. But when you don't have a savings, live from paycheck to paycheck, and still try to have a project car, $3500 is a fortune.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Neodeuccio;1296491 said:
To some of us it is, IJ. It's like you said, you've been playing with cars for far longer than most of us. That also means you've been making money for far longer than most of us. Hell, I was still in diapers when you had your BBC.

It may be true that in the grand scheme of things $3500 isn't much. But when you don't have a savings, live from paycheck to paycheck, and still try to have a project car, $3500 is a fortune.

That was more directed towards tturnpaw,who was stating how the 1UZ was just as cost effective as the GM V-8 in turns of an engine swap,which,in some areas may be true.But it's not like the 1UZ is a direct,bolt in swap either,let alone performance upgrades for the toy motor are costly,if they are even available.
Yeah,$3500 is a good chunk of $,but he got a brand new engine for that too.It's not that hard to drop $5K into a 7M on a full rebuild,And how much do you think a brand new 1UZ would cost you?Basically,an engine swap isn't the best idea for those of us (myself included) without a lot of money.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
toy fanatic78;1296507 said:
Yeah,$3500 is a good chunk of $,but he got a brand new engine for that too.

How the hell do you get a brand new engine for $3500? Shit, how do you get a brand new engine at all after 20 years?

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
IJ.;1296392 said:
Give it a rest kid you're starting to annoy me.

Come back when you have actually built your 1Uz wonder car...

you would think when its online people can comprehend. Once again, i said overhead cam will outperform the latter. Not how many cams you have. That only came up when i was relating cost to the 1uz and how thats the most expensive part.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
toy fanatic78;1296507 said:
Yeah,$3500 is a good chunk of $,but he got a brand new engine for that too.It's not that hard to drop $5K into a 7M on a full rebuild,And how much do you think a brand new 1UZ would cost you?Basically,an engine swap isn't the best idea for those of us (myself included) without a lot of money.

Thats the thing. Ive heard MANY toyota engines, including the 1uz last over 300,000 miles. How many push rod engines you seen go that long? I can think of one that reached 250,000 but it also has been babied on. I would never buy a used push rod engine. Ever. Unless its getting a full rebuild. You can trust a used 1uz. As for push rods, most people who know what theyre doing, are skeptical and replace gaskets, pop bearings, and check the whole thing over extensively before even thinking about putting it in something. The price of them are so cheap because of the mexican castings, nothing is made here in america anymore, and they cheap out on their alloys too. Hence why with most of those engines, people buy blocks from performance shops or custom engine builders.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Neodeuccio;1296684 said:
How the hell do you get a brand new engine for $3500? Shit, how do you get a brand new engine at all after 20 years?

IIRC that's what he paid for the L98 going in his MK3.
And Toyota still sells the 7M brand new,it's just expensive.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
tturnpaw;1296700 said:
Thats the thing. Ive heard MANY toyota engines, including the 1uz last over 300,000 miles. How many push rod engines you seen go that long? I can think of one that reached 250,000 but it also has been babied on. I would never buy a used push rod engine. Ever. Unless its getting a full rebuild. You can trust a used 1uz. As for push rods, most people who know what theyre doing, are skeptical and replace gaskets, pop bearings, and check the whole thing over extensively before even thinking about putting it in something. The price of them are so cheap because of the mexican castings, nothing is made here in america anymore, and they cheap out on their alloys too. Hence why with most of those engines, people buy blocks from performance shops or custom engine builders.

Go ahead and trust your used 1UZ.Doesn't matter who made it,or what alloy it's made from.parts wear out,and if you think boost won't expedite the wear process then you're sadly mistaken.
There isn't that much to a standard small block chevy,what exactly are you going through "extensively"?You can replace damn near every moving part for cheap(price shit for a SBC compared to any toyota motor).And the price is cheap 'cause they made millions of them,not because later ones were made in Mexico.
I've personally seen many small block chevy's go 300k+ mileage wise,think about how many old style caprices are still used as taxi's in this country,and try to tell me those cars are babied.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Neo: I had $3500 AUD in JUST the new block for my 7M another $1900 AUD for the bare head casting, I don't cut corners when I build but as I said I actually work for my money and have always built this way.

I personally think it's INSANE to start an extensive build if you don't have the means to do it right as living on 2 minute noodles sucks and blows all at the same time (did this as a kid)

There's nothing wrong doing some BPU's on a limited budget but going beyond that usually ends up in a part out for pennies on the dollar.

Again "for me" the L98 for $4400 AUD was a no brainer, I will spend a LOT more on the supporting cast to make it work but that's just my way of doing things to get the result I want.

Tturnpaw: And again I SAY it's NOT the OHC that performs better it's that usually the engine is a 4 valve, as for buying a used motor that's just it it's used so you have NFI what condition it's in, soon as you crack it open you at least double the purchase price.

Again when you actually have it built and running bring it back and show au all till then quit the 1Uz raaa raa sessions it's annoying.

CowboyBebop/Eric has done a 1Uz right go ask him what his build would cost the average person to replicate.

There's a huge difference in a performance build and a half ass drop a used engine into a car.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Well ij, some of us dont have $100,000 to spend on a car. So have at it.

Just forget it. Anyone have any pics of chev supras?

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
tturnpaw;1297209 said:
Well ij, some of us dont have $100,000 to spend on a car. So have at it.

Just forget it. Anyone have any pics of chev supras?

Check in IJ's thread,or the first page in this thread,there's mention of a couple peoples screen names that have done chevy v-8's in their MK3.
As far as the motor swap in Ians car,If you don't include stuff such as the rear end,and the standalone he has,he isn't that deep $ wise,hell I've seen a few 7M's w/$15K+ in them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tturnpaw;1296242 said:
Whp man, because its the only power that matters.

I told you where to go for the answers, and your response was this? If it's in a dyno thread, it's on a chassis dyno and that's WHP!

Do yourself a favor and buy a clue. The new LS series engine have ZERO ZIP NADA in common with the SBC's you messed with. SBC is a 50+ year old engine design, LS series is modern day. It's even more modern than the 1UZ in many ways (COP ignition system, stronger/lighter alloys, ect ect)

DOHC engines are better in that they're 4 valve usually, and they may have variable valve timing. But, in fact, they have even more complexity and MORE VALVETRAIN LOSSES.

I'll say it again, the 1UZ's aftermarket support is nearly non-existant, the engine are still used, and they're much older.

The reason I'm argueing with you so much is that I've seen WITH MY OWN EYES a Camaro with headers, cam, lid, catback, and tuning with LS1edit make ~400HP to the wheels. LS1 f-bodies are cheap (can find a good example for $5K) and are one of the best bang for the buck cars out there...