Anyone ever put a BB chevy in a MKIII ? PIC's of V8 supras wanted... thanks

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Ill be back later with my 400whp 1uz build including price list. Something you need aftermarket heads or boost to achieve with a LS. Mainly, i despise crossbreeding cars that have extremely reliable options readily available for a decent price. But, then again, i dont believe in the 7m. Some of these people do. Any v8 is better than a 7m if you ask me.

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
You just need this old thang...

Greg

Attachments

• AdvanceA_1.jpg
    AdvanceA_1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 11
  • AdvanceA_2.jpg
    AdvanceA_2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 10
  • AdvanceA_3.jpg
    AdvanceA_3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 9

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, you DON'T need heads or boost to get 400HP out of an LS1, do your homework (LS1tech would be a good start, try the CAM ONLY dyno thread)

And the 7M is a fine engine for it's age, it's idiots that expect a 20 year old, 200K mile engine to take double the PSI and abuse...

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
tturnpaw;1295555 said:
Ever driven a 1jz mkiii? Doesnt do too bad for a 2.5l if i do say so myself. Even a measly stock 1jz will rip tire down the street on 245s.

As for the T56 comment, you do realize they have completely modified versions of the T56 right? A stock T56 in a w56 camaro, a T56 in a corvette all the way up to C5s, are only good for 400ftlbs. I researched it for my mustang, so trust me i know. D & D sells performance T56s good for 1000ftlbs they used in the venom tt vipers. Look it up yourself.

For proof, took 3 seconds and found this. http://www.ls1.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7144.html

Since i found this, prove the 4L60E can hold more than 400 STOCK.

1JZ's are turbo.
Turbo=displacement
What part of the OP wanting pics/tales of a BB chevy in a MK3 caused this big,childish pissing contest?
Seems a lot of shit talking about the GM motor,sorry to burst the bubbles,but the 1UZ isn't gonna push 400RWHP without some work either.
And you can't touch the aftermarket support of the LS series engines.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Poodles;1296162 said:
No, you DON'T need heads or boost to get 400HP out of an LS1, do your homework (LS1tech would be a good start, try the CAM ONLY dyno thread)

And the 7M is a fine engine for it's age, it's idiots that expect a 20 year old, 200K mile engine to take double the PSI and abuse...

Well said Poodles.
Hell a plain jane 350 w/the right factory GM heads is more than capable of 400HP,have been for decades.
And the 7M has proved itself time and time again,and is capable of some serious horsepower levels,and IF you don't half-ass or cut corners,is a rather reliable engine too.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
IJ.;1296199 said:
Siamese block, the best LS heads yet, and a bunch of small detail improvements being a Gen I-V. :)
(glad a I didn't buy an LS1 a couple of years back when I was considering it)

Do you have a link I can go to?
All I am finding for/with the L98 is late 80's-90's GM production cars.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
Gotcha,thanks.
I'm anxious to see this project unfold,I have enormous respect for the GM V-8's.
Last one I worked on was an '02 'vette ZO6 (LS6 engine) put a CAI,and a full Corsa exhaust(headers too) and that thing was just a beast.Was rather surprised w/the street manners it had w/the power it was pushing.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Poodles;1296162 said:

Whp man, because its the only power that matters.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
toy fanatic78;1296182 said:
1JZ's are turbo.
Turbo=displacement
What part of the OP wanting pics/tales of a BB chevy in a MK3 caused this big,childish pissing contest?
Seems a lot of shit talking about the GM motor,sorry to burst the bubbles,but the 1UZ isn't gonna push 400RWHP without some work either.
And you can't touch the aftermarket support of the LS series engines.

you might want to reread my posts. never said the 1uz wouldnt need work. who here has spoken of putting a bbc into one? Lsx was the only comment.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
plain out, this was about bbc, then turned to v8 supras, then turned to lacking respect for the 1uz. I think the ls series was the only turning point for chevy as they started to realize that their sbc lacked greatly. I dont count aftermarket everything, as thats no longer a chev anymore half the time including the block.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
tturnpaw;1296243 said:
you might want to reread my posts. never said the 1uz wouldnt need work. who here has spoken of putting a bbc into one? Lsx was the only comment.

tturnpaw;1296248 said:
plain out, this was about bbc, then turned to v8 supras, then turned to lacking respect for the 1uz. I think the ls series was the only turning point for chevy as they started to realize that their sbc lacked greatly. I dont count aftermarket everything, as thats no longer a chev anymore half the time including the block.

The original post was about putting a BBC into a MK3.(AKA V-8 supras)
Yeah,the SBC needed work,it was a 40 year old engine when they started to variate from the original,outdated design.But still highly capable motors any way you look at it.
It's not that neither engine needs work for that,just easier/more cost effective to mod the GM engine for an equivalent amount of power.Especially off-boost.
There is no lack of respect for the 1UZ,that got started by people bitchin' about Ian putting a GM V-8 in his car,which personally I would use the GM over the Toyota engine too,mainly due to aftermarket support,and off boost power(which was a big factor in his decision to use the L98)after all,the L98 is 2 full liters more displacement.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
tturnpaw;1296248 said:

Why would I "respect" a 1Uz?

I've already stated my reasons for going Chev, I have the skills, dedication, perserverence and budget to see it through to the end.

I've NEVER parted a project that wasn't finished, I also live in the real world and don't care what brand is on an engine, I'd use a Hyundai motor if it would provide the power I wanted.

I also don't get the "keep it Toyota" at all costs mindset.

You seem to have taken offence when NONE was directed at you or your choice of engine.

At first I thought you were trolling then I took it as a joke and now we're back to trolling for effect.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
IJ.;1296209 said:
(I think they're a bit of an Aussie only thing)

Nah. ;)
(it's but of a Middle Eastern Thing as well)

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#L98

The L98 is a slightly modified version of the L76. Since Holden did not use the displacement on demand technology of the L76, some redundant hardware was removed to form the L98. Power increased to 362 hp (270 kW) at 5700 rpm and 391 ft·lbf (530 Nm) at 4400 rpm.

As of March 2009 Holden has announced their introduction of Displacement on Demand, though it is uncertain if this engine will be called an L76, L98 or something else.

Applications:

* 2006 (MY06) Holden VZ SS Thunder Ute
* 2006-2007 Holden VE Commodore
* 2006-2007 Holden WM Statesman / Holden WM Caprice
* 2007-2008 Chevrolet Lumina SS
* 2007-2008 Chevrolet Caprice SS

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice

General Motors revived the Chevrolet Caprice nameplate in the Middle East markets on imported Holden Statesman/Caprice built by its Australian subsidiary Holden. The Holden WH Statesman was the first Statesman to be engineered to support both left- and right-hand drive (Middle Eastern market being LHD while Australia right-hand drive) in order to allow for manufacturing of export versions. Same was true for the related short-wheelbase Holden VT Commodore, whose left-hand drive version became the Chevrolet Lumina in the Middle East.

The Middle Eastern Caprice came out in 2000 in four versions, base LS, standard mid-range LTZ, a sporty SS and the range topper Royale (introduced in 2002). Differences between the models were mostly equipment and slight styling tweaks. The base LS and LTZ came standard with a 295 hp (220 kW) 5.7 litre Gen III V8, the SS and Royale came with a 325 horsepower (242 kW) version of the same engine. In 2003, Holden launched a revised and facelifted Statesman and Caprice, which was reflected in their Middle Eastern versions for the 2004 model year. The new models sported new front and rear fascias and completely redesigned interior. Engines carried over unchanged.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
IJ.;1296370 said:
Why would I "respect" a 1Uz?

I've already stated my reasons for going Chev, I have the skills, dedication, perserverence and budget to see it through to the end.

I've NEVER parted a project that wasn't finished, I also live in the real world and don't care what brand is on an engine, I'd use a Hyundai motor if it would provide the power I wanted.

I also don't get the "keep it Toyota" at all costs mindset.

You seem to have taken offence when NONE was directed at you or your choice of engine.

At first I thought you were trolling then I took it as a joke and now we're back to trolling for effect.

I never took offense to it at all. Its just some logic ive picked up about chevs. Having grown up with everything chev performance, ive learned my own way, like how overhead cams will always outperform the latter. Its just factual upon design.

I have no problem with whatever engine you choose. I was just making it logical with costs and power outputs. Mainly for the other users. I myself am sick of people saying chev this chev that when costs equal to any other maker and its proven parts arent any more cheaper or expensive than anything else. Its personal preference, not a better way.

For people without a welder or know someone who can easily aid in a swap, it isnt possible. Thus, making it expensive including wire, gas, steel, wiring, etc. The op never said anything about price, but other users did. Then, other users stated incorrect information, which was set right.

The only reason I have anything to say to you is not me attacking you in any way, its just biased for your views and people may know what these engines are, but may not know how difficult it is to complete it. Hence this thread. The funny thing is, I know more about chevs, fords, and dodge pushrod engines than i do these supras. Hell, ive even built a Toyota pickup with a small block 302. Its not the swap im against as much as the decision to avoid a toyota engine for displacement when the potential is there. The power arguement is lacking, ive even seen a 1uz in a mkiv on youtube put out 400whp na and revving to 9300rpms.

To keep it simple and straightforward, its not cheap. Parts may be plentiful, but no cheaper than most other v8s. I will exclude that a set of quad cams for a 1uz is spendy, but thats four cams and that much more flow. Pushrod engines are under designed, ancient and exhausted. Other than that, id like to see it. The push rod design is primitive, and eats power through the valvetrain. Like i said, its mainly my preference, but cost, fabrication, and with half the other engines lack of design.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If you're going to lecture people about how good the engine is at least make an effort to get it right....

4 Cams have NOTHING to do with how well it breathes, 4 VALVES per cylinder do.. ie: you can fit more area into a cylinder using 4 smaller valves than 2 large ones. :nono:

They do a set of 4 valve heads for the LS engines that still use pushrods and a single cam and guess what they outflow ANY 2 valve head available...

As for the cost, don't care it's not a factor when I play cars, you say $3500 like it's a lot of money?

I have more $ tied up in the engine management than most Mk3 guys have in their entire car, Hommer asked about BBC's I said right at the start that an LS based engine makes much more sense and that still stands true, I discounted a 1Uz as it's only 4 litres, may as well crank more boost into a 7M.

I ran a BBC in the Mid 1980's well before most here were born that would have smoked 75% of the cars here but again even as a kid I didn't tightarse on builds so there's the difference. (and no I'm NOT rich I work for my money)

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
IJ.;1296389 said:
If you're going to lecture people about how good the engine is at least make an effort to get it right....

4 Cams have NOTHING to do with how well it breathes, 4 VALVES per cylinder do.. ie: you can fit more area into a cylinder using 4 smaller valves than 2 large ones. :nono:

They do a set of 4 valve heads for the LS engines that still use pushrods and a single cam and guess what they outflow ANY 2 valve head available...

As for the cost, don't care it's not a factor when I play cars, you say $3500 like it's a lot of money?

I have more $ tied up in the engine management than most Mk3 guys have in their entire car, Hommer asked about BBC's I said right at the start that an LS based engine makes much more sense and that still stands true, I discounted a 1Uz as it's only 4 litres, may as well crank more boost into a 7M.

I ran a BBC in the Mid 1980's well before most here were born that would have smoked 75% of the cars here but again even as a kid I didn't tightarse on builds so there's the difference. (and no I'm NOT rich I work for my money)

Never said having 4 cams made a difference. What i did say was getting cams is expensive because theres four to machine. I said OHC was more efficient and outflows pushrods and that each cam makes a difference in tun-ability, performance, and reliability provided the timing belts are maintained.