Anyone Ever Pulled Over in a RHD?

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
As we all know, getting pulled over by the cops sucks. HARD. Whether or not we've done something wrong, we always have to try and play the courtesy card; as they say "you only get one chance to make a good first impression". We also know cops tend to hate being embarrassed.

Anyways (yes, I'm going somewhere with this), I live in Canada, and my Supra is RHD. I live in a small town and from what I hear a lot of the cops have something to prove. For that matter, they are not any nicer in the bigger city. What do you think is going to be the best way to let a cop know I'm on the wrong side of the car when he needs to go to my window for usual routine?

Whenever I get pulled over, I always make a point of pulling as far on the shoulder as I can without getting stuck, or onto a side or frontage road so the cop doesn't have to fend of traffic. In a RHD, now I need to make sure that they have room to stand when they are talking to me, so I can't pull way over.

I thought about a wave out the window when they are walking up, but that seems too nonchalant in a "hey Piggy, I'm over here" sort of way:evil2:. Obviously I can't get out of the car, and I can't think of a sticker that wouldn't look stupid. I also don't think my reg info that comes up when he runs the plate will say RHD (I might be wrong though).

Thoughts?

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Even if you did put something saying RHD on it I doubt he'd take a second look at it or know what it meant. Also I would not stick your hand out the window and wave at him or something, he could just think its the passenger being an idiot and he'd get annoyed at that. I'd say just pull over to the side like you would in a LHD car and put down your passenger window in advance.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I would just talk to him from the RH side, I dont think it would be a big deal talking over a passenger seat. Just act like its normal, if he says something, work with him. Cops aren't out to get us, they are people to, believe it or not. Be friendly, polite and comply with his/her wishes.

Sam

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
I get pulled over all the time in my RHD supra. Only ever gotten 1 ticket so they must just pull me over cause of the car. The cops figure it out pretty quick when they come to the window but its best with a buddy in the passenger seat cause you just wait and see how long it takes. My record is 6 minutes before the piggy realised who the driver actually was. You'd think that they might make an effort to take a glance at whats right in front of there eyes but I guess not.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Just roll down both windows all the way, regardless of the weather. Roll up the one that the officer doesn't come to. :)

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
JustinGotA1j;1239149 said:
I get pulled over all the time in my RHD supra. Only ever gotten 1 ticket so they must just pull me over cause of the car. The cops figure it out pretty quick when they come to the window but its best with a buddy in the passenger seat cause you just wait and see how long it takes. My record is 6 minutes before the piggy realised who the driver actually was. You'd think that they might make an effort to take a glance at whats right in front of there eyes but I guess not.

Maybe there to busy making sure your not going to pull a gun on them? Pretty sure if i was a cop I'd have other things to worry about than what side the wheels on, really i don't think i would give a shit. Really i don't think it would even matter he'd probably still talk from the left side, unless there's a passenger. And for the record 6mins thing i call BullShiT! He's obvs going to know who the driver is since your the one that's going to be handing your license and registration to them, its always the first or second thing they ask for.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
If your tint isn't too dark and you are alone, this shouldn't be much of a problem. If your tint is so dark that he can't tell I can see you getting more than one ticket.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i do what i can to make the cop feel at ease. All windows down, music off, car off, dome light on, bed light on (truck) both hands on the wheel and i wait for him to ask me for papers and then tell him where they are at and what im doing (before i do it) as i move around and what not. Id assume opposite side of the car wouldnt matter. That would really be the least of my worries to be honest.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
EthanMKIII;1239168 said:
Maybe there to busy making sure your not going to pull a gun on them? Pretty sure if i was a cop I'd have other things to worry about than what side the wheels on, really i don't think i would give a shit. Really i don't think it would even matter he'd probably still talk from the left side, unless there's a passenger. And for the record 6mins thing i call BullShiT! He's obvs going to know who the driver is since your the one that's going to be handing your license and registration to them, its always the first or second thing they ask for.

You can call bullshit all you want but when a cop takes his time running your plate before getting out of the car and you already have everything handed to the passenger when you see him walking to that side its very reasonable to believe they wont notice who's actually driving. I guess you dont believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy either eh?

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
JustinGotA1j;1239296 said:
You can call bullshit all you want but when a cop takes his time running your plate before getting out of the car and you already have everything handed to the passenger when you see him walking to that side its very reasonable to believe they wont notice who's actually driving. I guess you dont believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy either eh?

Ok now that makes more sense lol i hate cops in BC they don't do shit when ur getting beaten up but if ur running a light or speeding in the Hov lane its a totally different story.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Not true, traffic stops as routine as you may think they are are far from it for any halfway intellignet cop, and the so called rep your referring to is generally generated by people who have had bad expirience with a cop in a particular area, furthermore lots of people take things way out of proportion or play the victim when they themselves are doing things they shouldn't, all that aside heres some advice from the other side of this issue.

1. Pull over in a safe place as soon as you can once you see the lights or hear the siren, don't stop abruptly slow down and pull off the road way as you say you do and do so safely, if in the far left lane then change lanes safely (for your safety and also shows your not a jackass).

2. If you have tinted windows (as I do) or it's dark out, roll down both windows and leave them down.

3. Turn off your stereo.

4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain view, do not make sudden erratic movements, if you have any CCW's in the car or anything else semi considerable as a weapon immaediately tell them politely and ask them if they'd like to retrieve it or how they would like to proceed.

5. Be polite but not overly so, if your an asshole normally then don't sit there and act like mother theresa, be yourself, if you fucked up I've learned being honest about it may or may not get you out of a ticket however If I get caught doing something retarded then I pay for it, I just think thats how things should go, if you don't like paying tickets don't break the law and if you get caught don't get too pissed its not that big a deal.

Anyways just some friendly advice for you, the RHD issue isn't a big deal, many officers will approach from the passenger side sometimes or different ways for various reasons I will not discolse for respect of my fellow LEO's.

Just some thoughts, good luck and stay safe.

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
JustinGotA1j;1239306 said:
Pretty much how it is. Although I have to admit I have been DAMN lucky with not getting tickets when I definitely should have.

Lucky, they just go easy on me charging me for a lesser fine or such good thing to cause i still have my stupid N (Gay). Some cops are dicks, i roll with my heads lights down and my fog lights on. it was late i was going to pick up a girl i pass a cop on the way. I turn right onto her street and proceed to pick her up. I am stopped in front of her house waiting for her to sneak out and he rolls up turns on his lights and everything. All i got was a firm talking to about how fog lights are not enough and it is illegal to not have ur head lights on in these conditions. Kinda gay.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
oh almost forgot, shut off the engine as well and keep it in park with parking brake applied if its a stick, for one you don't want it rolling and if your foots on the brake pedal it looks as if your up to something since its not a generally used behavior in society, at least here in the U.S. you canucks may be different :)

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
A buddy of mine had a R32 skyline last year. Got pulled over twice in a week. Funny story both times. Best one was the cop told him "you know your cars all backwards right?"

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Fletch124;1239339 said:
A buddy of mine had a R32 skyline last year. Got pulled over twice in a week. Funny story both times. Best one was the cop told him "you know your cars all backwards right?"

I got that one beat. Pulled over 3 times in 2 days! Granted once was a case of mistaken identity and the cop thought I was someone who had beaten up some kids in the next city over.

As for the fog lights without headlights deal I've had that speech many times from the fuzz.

tcsupra

Dec 4, 2008
MN
I use to get pulled over all the time because my Dad got a dui. They pulled me over looking for him. I got use to it. I know they were just doing threr jobs but at the same time it's annoying getting pulled over every couple days. sometimes twice in one day.