Any way to protect rubber hose?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
So I decided to use push lock hose for my oil filter relocation that I did with my rebuild, but I am a bit concerned. I have mounted the filter head under the passenger side headlight with the oil lines coming through the factory airbox opening. The oil lines are routed under the power steering belt, then come up between the fan and power steering pulley, then under the air filter to the housing. The lines are very close to both the bottom of the power steering pulley and the fan blades, and I'm worried that if something goes wrong the oil line could be destroyed and result in a blown engine. In hindsight, stainless braided line would probably have been a better choice. Is there anything I could sleeve or wrap the hose with to protect it in case it contacts anything? I am considering switching to braided line, but I love the easy assembly and low key look of the push lock. If there is anything I can use to protect it I would rather just do that. I want to keep it routed how it is routed right now so changing that is not an option.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IJ.;1868889 said:
Lots of sleeve products out there, SS Braid will saw through anything it comes in contact with is clearences are tight.

Any recommendations? I couldn't care less about thermal resistance or anything, just need something to protect it from abrasion.

Brad the stuff I wrapped my AC lines with was a pretty soft foam, anything that touches it would rip right through it like butter.

JJ is the firesleeve strong enough to resist the power steering belt rubbing it if it were to come in contact? Also, I need something fairly thin as clearances are tight to begin with. Not sure what you mean by baffling it and can't find any information on that through google.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Probably not although the stuff is pretty tough. Why are you worried about belt contact? Just fasten it with Adel clamps so that can't happen. By baffling I was thinking some sort of metal shield but it sounds like you may not have the room for that.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Personally the possibility of hell breaking loose when they come in contact would make me nervous as hell. I would rather reroute the hoses to a more suitable location.

In the heat sensitive areas I wrapped my hoses with heat wrap to ensure they don't get hot and split even though they're designed for it, what can I say, I'm paranoid, I've owned a mk3 too long ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1869155 said:
You're welcome guys. Adels are very common on aircraft (as is dealing with this sort of hose issue) and the industry tends to be a stickler about nomenclature.
Better than the alternative. I've worked in industries where people have 6 different names for one item. Worst part is, when they get pissed because you don't know their redneck term for something, and they think YOU are the dumb one...

RTFM. That's all I have to say about nomenclature. ;)

suprra_girl;1869569 said:
Personally the possibility of hell breaking loose when they come in contact would make me nervous as hell. I would rather reroute the hoses to a more suitable location.

In the heat sensitive areas I wrapped my hoses with heat wrap to ensure they don't get hot and split even though they're designed for it, what can I say, I'm paranoid, I've owned a mk3 too long ;)
I'm with you on this one. What happens IF something goes wrong in this case? Not good...

On the subject of paranoia, that's understandable. ;)