Any other BMW owners here? Post Pics of your BMW...

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys,

I got my E46 2003 M3 about a year and a half ago. Moon/Sun roof, Dark Blue, 19"X9" in the rear, immaculate 98,000Kms, Black int., 6-Speed manual, Stock. As slow as my Supra build was going it REALLY didn't need me to get this M3. I thought the novelty would wear off by now but no luck for the Supra.

I had only experienced the sedan side of BMW ad nauseum. I had always coveted the Z3 Coupe but never actually met anyone who owned one and have only seen 4 since 1999. BMW's had always felt like an unreachable luxury that didn't really suit me anyway. Kinda like a Cadillac.

I was looking for something I could drive to work but be able to hang with the usual suspects. I also needed a car I could grow up with, that my potential boyfriend/husband wouldn't make me sell because of impracticality.

I needed something I would not be tempted to mod. My only option there would be a naturally aspirated format. Once you get an EVO, a WRX or turbo whatever the first thing you want to do it get a boost controller, and it's all downhill from there.

I bought this car based on what it is on paper. I was sold on it before I ever got in one.

Driving the M3 the first couple of times I really didn't think much. Based on it's stats I expected something different. I have been in many sport cars that boast similar performance. I expected the typical weight-reducing, power-saving nuances that we live with and make excuses for because we're having fun.

The driving position is very un-sport-car-like. The seats are comfortable but offer practical side support. They have a pop out insert under the knees to reduce long distance fatigue. It also has useable back seats! I've since driven with 6-footers sitting in the back.

On the street it is quiet and straight. There is not even the faintest rattle in the cabin and the outside noise is properly muted. Huge trunk with a really cool reversible carpet to rubber insert in case you are transporting something wet and/or dirty (ie.tires). Back seats fold down instead of the little ski-hole.

Bum warmers and frigid A/C with a zillion options for climate control. Tons of sensors for idiot proofing maintenance. Electronic everything else. Other than the 6Speed Manual shifter and the stiff-ish ride I really had no indication of the track animal I had researched. It felt so civilized.

The clutch is easy. The handling is deceptive to the car's power as well. It's easy to handle and the rear end is very solid. It has an amazing traction control that doesn't kick in too soon but has the option of turning it off completely.

Taking it into high rev's it seems to mimic a Forced induction power band EXCEPT that the M3 doesn't slow down the higher into the power band you go like with a turbo. It keeps pulling exponentially hard well after 7000 RPM. Shockingly so. The throttle response is just awesome.

It's only until you push the car that you begin to see and really appreciate what BMW has done. It really is the best of both worlds with no sacrifice on either side. What is special is that this 2003 M3 is still relevant, it's timeless in design and still produces competitive power. Plus it's a BMW.

It's been absolutely perfect so far with no complaints. I would definitely recommend.

It's very fun on the AutoX, so reliable/consistent almost to a flaw.

It's nice to have a monster that doesn't really advertise that it's a monster. No one really pays attention to the car unless they know M3's. I haven't done anything to it so it looks pretty tame.

p1848345_1.jpg

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
honeydew;1848345 said:
I was looking for something I could drive to work but be able to hang with the usual suspects. I also needed a car I could grow up with, that my potential boyfriend/husband wouldn't make me sell because of impracticality.

If that's the case, find a better future dude! My girlfriend (of 7yrs) would never think of asking me to sell either my e36 M3 or my Supra.

honeydew said:
I needed something I would not be tempted to mod. My only option there would be a naturally aspirated format. Once you get an EVO, a WRX or turbo whatever the first thing you want to do it get a boost controller, and it's all downhill from there.
For some of us, it doesn't always work out that way. :( http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?85578-95-BMW-M3-shaeff-s-summer-daily-driver

I've done a crapload more work to it than is shown in the above thread, I just never updated that one. Classic snowball project.

honeydew said:
The clutch is easy. The handling is deceptive to the car's power as well. It's easy to handle and the rear end is very solid. It has an amazing traction control that doesn't kick in too soon but has the option of turning it off completely.
Agreed on the handling perspective. Even when my car was bone stock and you're cruising a twisty backroad, it's like there's a wolf in sheep's clothes nestled quietly beneath your bum, poised and waiting to unleash it's ferocity at the slightest blip of the skinny pedal. Even the e36 blew me away from a handling perspective and showed me that I have much more to learn in the realm of properly driving a car. Even more so with modded suspension.

honeydew said:
Taking it into high rev's it seems to mimic a Forced induction power band EXCEPT that the M3 doesn't slow down the higher into the power band you go like with a turbo. It keeps pulling exponentially hard well after 7000 RPM. Shockingly so. The throttle response is just awesome.
High compression for the win! Although with a larger turbo, you would pull to redline I know what you mean in stock-to-stock comparison. The low end throttle response makes them amazing for in-town driving and scooting around!

honeydew said:
It's only until you push the car that you begin to see and really appreciate what BMW has done. It really is the best of both worlds with no sacrifice on either side. What is special is that this 2003 M3 is still relevant, it's timeless in design and still produces competitive power. Plus it's a BMW.
I feel this way about the e36, too, although it's starting to look dated now. The e46 is just a beautiful car in many ways. I've always been torn about them in the "feel the road" vs "comfort/luxury" side of them though. In hindsight, I should have bought an e46, considering it's my summertime daily driver. Color me jelly. :)

I can't see the pic (blocked at work, but I'll check back later. Good read, and well written!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
none to shaby for a daily...

how is it in the winter? outside of T.O. that is where we experience winter...

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
A. Jay;1848346 said:
I'm not another M3 driver, but I just wanted to let you know that was a fun read :)
Thank you! How kind! I'm glad I could occupy some of your mind in a pleasant way while I suffered from INSOMNIA. Totally sucked.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
shaeff;1848379 said:
If that's the case, find a better future dude! My girlfriend (of 7yrs) would never think of asking me to sell either my e36 M3 or my Supra.
Well maybe it's different for a girl. I rarely meet guys who are into cars. Not retarded-mechanical-clinic-attendee like myself anyway. If I do meet someone who knows a little more than the average they get a little apprehensive when I introduce my cars as "The Drag Supra" and "The AutoX M3". I doubt most guys like to learn about "guy-stuff" from some chick. I've already been (and gone) with someone who constantly pressured me to "maybe sell the Supra..." Whatever. I'm too real, they just don't get me.
shaeff;1848379 said:
For some of us, it doesn't always work out that way. :( http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?85578-95-BMW-M3-shaeff-s-summer-daily-driverI've done a crapload more work to it than is shown in the above thread, I just never updated that one. Classic snowball project.
That is pretty nice looking. $6500, you stole it.
shaeff;1848379 said:
Agreed on the handling perspective. Even when my car was bone stock and you're cruising a twisty backroad, it's like there's a wolf in sheep's clothes nestled quietly beneath your bum, poised and waiting to unleash it's ferocity at the slightest blip of the skinny pedal. Even the e36 blew me away from a handling perspective and showed me that I have much more to learn in the realm of properly driving a car. Even more so with modded suspension.
Oh it totally is, and completely unexpected. I completely agree about learning over. I have driven crazy, loose, fast cars for so long and have done my share of mastering but this is a totally different beast when you learn to properly drive a PROPER driving car. It kinda makes you scared to go back.
shaeff;1848379 said:
High compression for the win! Although with a larger turbo, you would pull to redline I know what you mean in stock-to-stock comparison. The low end throttle response makes them amazing for in-town driving and scooting around!
I definitely only mean as a stock to stock comparison. Obviously, I had a t60 in the Supra and that was a blast, that pulls forever.
shaeff;1848379 said:
I feel this way about the e36, too, although it's starting to look dated now. The e46 is just a beautiful car in many ways. I've always been torn about them in the "feel the road" vs "comfort/luxury" side of them though. In hindsight, I should have bought an e46, considering it's my summertime daily driver. Color me jelly. :)I can't see the pic (blocked at work, but I'll check back later. Good read, and well written!
You would have spent over 2X as much for an E46M3 (you want a 2003 or newer due to unresolved issues) and I'll have to disagree with you about an E36M3 'looking dated'. I don't think that car will ever fall under the category of 'dated'. A Gremlin is dated, A Capri is dated. An E36M3 will be "a perfect design of the times" like a '68 Camaro or a '91 300ZX. (I could go on but...)

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
#04;1848380 said:
none to shaby for a daily...

how is it in the winter? outside of T.O. that is where we experience winter...

Great in winter but useless on summer tires, I guess that's obvious. I have some older M3 wheels I got for $450 and put some low pro winters on them. They kick the snows ass.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
shaeff;1848379 said:

This ^^ Chicks that are into cars are hot, you just gotta find a better guy :rofl:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I agree with Shaeff and Poodles, if your guy is wanting you to sell the cars, sell the guy. A good suitor for a gear head is either understanding of the hobby, or a gear head themselves. My old lady would never make me sell a car. Wouldn't even suggest it. We're actually looking into building something like an 8-ish car garage. ;)

Anyway, always wanted to try an M3. If you think you don't want to be tempted into modifying it, may I suggest that you NEVER look at horsepowerfreaks.com? :p

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
When I have a steady source of income, I'm seriously considering buying an E34 M5. I love my buddy's Dinan E36 M3, but I'm more into GT/cruising cars than all out sports cars, so I think the M5 would suit me better.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
IBoughtASupra;1848538 said:
Hold on HOLD ON. Honeydew is a chick?

Let the leg humping begin!

Not just a chick but an ultra sexy one. Super fine.

Ya, I do date a lot but it's funny how these relationships go. They like me because I wrestle horses for a living and am into cars. Plus I'm semi-interesting. Then it shortly becomes horses "Aren't a real job..." and "That red Supra is kinda flashy for your means and now an M3? Don't you think you should be investing?..." Or I love this subtlety: "We could get a nice down payment on a house with those cars you have..."

I don't know about these suckers but I plan on dying young bitches. Live for as much that can make me happy. Exhaust notes make me happy. Nuff said?

I've always felt these comments were way out of line and usually shockingly soon. Boys are stuck in the 50's these days, it's that damn television box and Call of Duty. They all think they're Lee Majors.

I don't know what makes people so critical of the life I've chosen, I let them do their thing. If I met a dude working as a night manager for Red Lobster I would throw him a party when he wins the "Annual Attendance" award or the "Most Customers Appeased WITHOUT the Use of Fire" award or however those restaurant places work. I would never make the assumption that he needs or wants my help to transform him to one of the normals. The sheer arrogance.

That's usually the beginning of the end. I usually like to either recycle the boy or put them on ice for a while before it comes to this insanity.

Ya, sell the cars for a house. I can commit suicide in it..... bonus

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
honeydew;1848605 said:
Not just a chick but an ultra sexy one. Super fine.

Pictures or GTFO. :D

DISCLAIMER : That was a joke for all the people who have a very limited sense of humor and interpret everything like this as an insult.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
I always found requests for a picture of yourself, regardless of context, almost insulting. Why would I have a pic of myself? Maybe I'm a little jaded on that though. I had this boyfriend once, we got on well, seemed like a keeper. Invited into his home for the first time and there were more than 2 professional and casual framed, blown up pics of just him. Self portraits. No one else, just him. One was his military Grad pic, It's not for me but understandable. Another was like a black and white bare-chest artistic deal, a tad creepy. And a few others of non-professional but posed shots.

I talked to him about it, told him it was strange that you want to come home and admire your own beauty in a past snap shot. (I think my exact words were "This is gay. Buddy, you are totally gay for yourself.") He was a looker and admittedly the pics were nice but it just smacked of narcissism and over confidence. You knew the guy would never love anyone half as much as he loved himself. You don't invest emotionally to a person like that. They'll just let you down.

I guess I've always reserved pics for real events, I'm rarely in them because I want to remember the event, I always remember what I look like, plus I own a mirror. I'm not a picture taker anyway, I was in South Carolina this winter for work, 4 months, only Pic I took was of my M3 cause it was clean in the sunset and looked pretty.

Jeez, off topic much?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IBoughtASupra;1848608 said:
DISCLAIMER : That was a joke for all the people who have a very limited sense of humor and interpret everything like this as an insult.

Clearly you missed this part or you lacked the understanding of what I was saying here.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
honeydew;1848663 said:
You're not my Supervisor
...and apparently have a sense of humor to boot.

I would imagine that guys might be intimidated by you from the sounds of it. Takes a bit of time to be secure enough with yourself (speaking as a guy) to appreciate an awesome girl. I know if I had met my old lady 6 or 7 years ago, I would have not been as comfortable enough with myself to entice her into sticking around.

Takes time to learn to live with your own inherent awesomeness. ;)

That out of the way, a house is a pretty nice place to keep your Supra out of the weather, if nothing else...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
but but...you're a chick, you have to post pics to prove it :p

The Internet: Where women are men, men are boys, and boys are the FBI. :rofl:

But anyway, yeah, you gotta find better guys lol